How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stay on the West side and my commute is about thirty miles in distance and it only takes about thirty minutes in time, sometimes up to about 45 minutes. That is unless there is a big traffic accident.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you need work, and have Facebook then I highly suggest you add the Texas Operators page. They post job openings in the state of texas everyday!!
Old 10-31-2015, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Part of me agrees, but I know this area very well and I still need to finish out the rest of the school here that I have. BASF site manager gave me a scholarship I don't really want to throw away.
If you get a job as an operator it is going to be difficult to juggle school and work. Especially if you work in a plant that works a good bit of OT or one that doesn't have a vacation relief.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Don't worry about the commute, most of my coworkers drive from the pearland area. Just keep applying and make sure your resume looks good. It took me applying twice to get in and I got lucky. Do you have a ptec degree already?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo5.0
IF you need work, and have Facebook then I highly suggest you add the Texas Operators page. They post job openings in the state of texas everyday!!
Already am joined, very helpful page!

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
If you get a job as an operator it is going to be difficult to juggle school and work. Especially if you work in a plant that works a good bit of OT or one that doesn't have a vacation relief.
I have no doubt about that, though I have a neighbor in my apartment complex about my age who just moved here from Baton Rogue about 2 months ago. He got a job with DOW and came out here and he's currently working on his second and final semester of the PTEC degree as well. Seems an number of the companies are okay with you doing school, but I haven't asked him on the specifics of how he schedules it. I'm perfectly content with just doing online classes if need be, thank god for 2015.

Originally Posted by Super Goat
Don't worry about the commute, most of my coworkers drive from the pearland area. Just keep applying and make sure your resume looks good. It took me applying twice to get in and I got lucky. Do you have a ptec degree already?
Do you work around here in Brazoria County?

I don't have the PTEC degree finished unfortunately, I have one more semester to go, as this one is almost at a close in about 4 more weeks.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

I worked at Dow, been there a little over 2 years. They just sold half my block and a couple of others to a new company but I'm still doing the same thing. I have a 4 year degree but not in ptec. I luckily had enough science credits to get hired on. The first time my resume was a little rough but I went back and redid it to make it look a little more professional and they called me back within a couple of weeks.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Super Goat
I worked at Dow, been there a little over 2 years. They just sold half my block and a couple of others to a new company but I'm still doing the same thing. I have a 4 year degree but not in ptec. I luckily had enough science credits to get hired on. The first time my resume was a little rough but I went back and redid it to make it look a little more professional and they called me back within a couple of weeks.
Which one did you work at? Which unit were you in?
Old 11-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

B68. Its one of the epoxy plants.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

*Sigh* Tons of rejection emails so far, including places 60 miles away. The hunt continues...
Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

*Sigh* Tons of rejection emails so far, including places 60 miles away. The hunt continues...
It happens. Don't give up. It's worth it once you make it, but it isn't easy.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Teching In

There is a extremely high demand for operators right now. First, with all the expansion in the Gulf Coast and second, most of the Baby Boomers retiring within the last 5 years has created this demand. Just keep applying and take the feedback that you get to improve. If you don't have a degree just get in the door some where for some experience and keep applying to the big companies till you get to one you want. The demand is not going to slow down anytime soon!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wngnt954
There is a extremely high demand for operators right now. First, with all the expansion in the Gulf Coast and second, most of the Baby Boomers retiring within the last 5 years has created this demand. Just keep applying and take the feedback that you get to improve. If you don't have a degree just get in the door some where for some experience and keep applying to the big companies till you get to one you want. The demand is not going to slow down anytime soon!
I've gotten zero feedback, but I am still filling out apps whenever I find them. People always say the demand is extremely high but honestly it seems like the positions open are few and the applicant pool is huge. I'm gearing to graduate next semester, would love to find something before I finish. I can't bear the thought of working a shitty dead end job for 6 more months minimum.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Teching In

There are things to put in your resumes and say in interviews that really apply to this field. On your resume highlight things around leadership and safety. Have comments that link you previous work experience to the petro chemical field. When you get an interview make sure you cover following procedures, working as a part of a team, holding safety and the environment high on your list of values. Make sure you can supply examples of all of those. Be able to sell yourself. Interviews go much better when we don't have to pull the information out of someone. Pay attention to the question they ask and don't be afraid to ask for clarification or examples.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wngnt954
There are things to put in your resumes and say in interviews that really apply to this field. On your resume highlight things around leadership and safety. Have comments that link you previous work experience to the petro chemical field. When you get an interview make sure you cover following procedures, working as a part of a team, holding safety and the environment high on your list of values. Make sure you can supply examples of all of those. Be able to sell yourself. Interviews go much better when we don't have to pull the information out of someone. Pay attention to the question they ask and don't be afraid to ask for clarification or examples.
The trick for me is getting an interview. One of my problems is I don't have much petrochemical experience. Just about a month or so as a contractor and that was in a facility on a production line for Super Absorbant Polymers.

I'm a fantastic interviewee, when I had an interview training session a few months ago the guy told me if it was an actual interview he'd be inclined to offer me a job on the spot (Mechanical Services manager for BASF) so I think I'm good there.

It is admittedly discouraging as hell to not get any response from any of my applications. Lots of hours put in for nothing to show.

I did however finish my final final for the semester and received A's in all classes except Chemistry (87.35%, so a B, but I'll take it).

Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did however finish my final final for the semester and received A's in all classes except Chemistry (87.35%, so a B, but I'll take it).
nice work
Old 12-09-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Just gotta be patient. I didnt get any interviews until my last semester. Second one landed me a job.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Default operator jobs

Formosa in PT Comfort is hiring. ~$24/hr to start ~$35/hr top out in 4 years. DuPont schedule and lots of OT. Inquire through Texas Workforce Commission if you have Operations Experience or hold an Associates Degree in plant operations. Also, we have opened our own school staffed thru Infinity Maintenance Corporation LLC that hires as an apprentice, trains, then places operators in operating plants.

We are currently expanding with 5 new plants to come online in 5 years, thus lots of job security if you "follow the rules". Plus we could use more hot rodders out here if you know what i mean....
Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Just gotta be patient.
You will have to be very patient. You will send out tons of resumes. Quite a few without a response. Many no thank you or you didn't make the cut. Some you will test with. Others you will make it the second step. Few you will interview with. And eventually you will land a job.

It is a very discouraging process for the majority of the people that are trying to start out.

I don't know where I heard it but someone once said something along the lines of, it's a full time job applying and testing just to have the opportunity to land one of these jobs.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jdoyle
nice work
Thank you Hardest part was Principles of Quality as I and the rest of the class basically did the entire semester's worth of work in a few days. Luckily it ingrained a lot of information into me, I can chart out any X-bar or XMR chart with ease now. Histograms, Pareto charts, run charts, scatter plots, all of it haha.

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Just gotta be patient. I didnt get any interviews until my last semester. Second one landed me a job.
I know but I'm basically at that point now though. I have about a semesters worth of classes and possibly 1 or 2 classes during the first 6 weeks of Summer and that's it lol

Originally Posted by btmatt
Formosa in PT Comfort is hiring. ~$24/hr to start ~$35/hr top out in 4 years. DuPont schedule and lots of OT. Inquire through Texas Workforce Commission if you have Operations Experience or hold an Associates Degree in plant operations. Also, we have opened our own school staffed thru Infinity Maintenance Corporation LLC that hires as an apprentice, trains, then places operators in operating plants.

We are currently expanding with 5 new plants to come online in 5 years, thus lots of job security if you "follow the rules". Plus we could use more hot rodders out here if you know what i mean....
Man wish you guys were closer, 87 miles is out of my range unfortunately. Although I guess it doesn't matter since I don't yet have the degree anyways.

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
You will have to be very patient. You will send out tons of resumes. Quite a few without a response. Many no thank you or you didn't make the cut. Some you will test with. Others you will make it the second step. Few you will interview with. And eventually you will land a job.

It is a very discouraging process for the majority of the people that are trying to start out.

I don't know where I heard it but someone once said something along the lines of, it's a full time job applying and testing just to have the opportunity to land one of these jobs.
It really is a full time job haha.

I wish I could accelerate this process somehow. Looking into taking the CLEP for 2 or 3 classes.

I'm sure one day I'll be land something and look back through the last few pages and smile at myself months ago just starting out, or even this point right now. So that's at least a positive thought that keeps me going haha.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 AM
TECH Resident

Talked to a BASF operator just now in a local county job listing group on Facebook after I posted up asking for some local tips.

Guy was super helpful and answered some questions, said they seem to have an especially huge hard on for Vets these days, where before it was more of a plus but now seems to be the preferred choice.

He private messaged me to say

"I make more then most the engineers out here dude. I make 41 an hr and hit over 150k this year. All with no degree. 99% of the time I'm like this"

How much do plant operators make?-eptyaec.jpg

Which I found especially humorous since JG98 posted a nearly identical picture a couple of pages back

How much do plant operators make?-ho57qgn.jpg

Well, the push continues.

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?