How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get it confused man not all operator jobs are like that. But I do agree with the comment about ex military. If you have any questions or anything I can help you out with just send me a message and I'll send you my number. I'll do my best to answer any and all questions.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd like to get into this as well, but I'm finding nepotism runs rampant around here (east coast) and trumps experience or other qualifications. I applied for a operator job at a local refinery, made it all the way to an interview which I thought went very well. Despite having a college degree, electrical/mechanical background, very stable work history, I didn't get the any of the 10 positions avail. I did find out later that minorities got them, a son or nephew or something and a local female bartender where a lot of the operators hang-out 2 of the new hires were already fired for insubordination and drug use.

Gotta keep trying though. It's like the lottery - you can win if you don't play.

What p!ssing me off though is that I feel like I'm wasting my time when in some cases they already know who they want, but continue the entire interview process to make it look impartial. I usually burn-up 3-4 vacation days for this and that's $900-1000.00 that I feel is being stolen from me.

I sound defeated and I kinda am, but will keep pushing forward. Lotta guys retiring and hopefully I can get my foot in at some point.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shell is hiring again....

https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/tgwe...5&jobid=859815
Old 12-23-2015, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheyCallMeSkip
3 years experience required. Damn experience requirements.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question for the refinery guys. Does the low price of crude affect refinery hiring? It obviously affects he oil fields but wondering about the impact on the refiners.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
3 years experience required. Damn experience requirements.
Don't let that hold you back. They let me get all the way to the interview process before they told me to finish my PTech degree (I was only 3/4 through the degree program at the time) and then try again.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Question for the refinery guys. Does the low price of crude affect refinery hiring? It obviously affects he oil fields but wondering about the impact on the refiners.
Yes and No. Really depends on the company itself, how well and efficient they operate to maximize any profit they can squeeze out of low crude cost, and how well they can budget.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PRO5OHHO
Don't let that hold you back. They let me get all the way to the interview process before they told me to finish my PTech degree (I was only 3/4 through the degree program at the time) and then try again.
Where Im at I have seen a few get hired, allowed to continue going to school, and still get paid without even coming to work. That blows my mind, but it has happened. Both of them were co-ops.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Huntsman Conroe Plant has several retiring now and soon. Must have Process Tech degree and/or Experience. $28.76 to start/ Top out at $40.52 now.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Vince, you have to keep trying.

There isn't a LOT of nepotism down here, but a lot of politics for sure. A lot of "who you know", and a lot of "melting pot" hiring, regardless of qualifications. They "have" to hire X amount of minorities, X amount of females etc etc.

All of the oil/chemical companies are like this...

As for the odds, you may go test with 800 others, 400 get interviews, 20 get hired... This same process occurs every year, for every company.

I'm sure the low oil pricing is slowing some companies down from hiring, but it's usually salary/management positions. Operations is always short handed, always in demand.

You just have to keep trying and trying. If you don't have a Process Tech degree or 3 years of Plant/process experience, it's gonna be a lot harder to land a spot.... If you have a BA in Finance or Marketing, it's of little use to you in Operations and not going to pull much weight with the hiring teams. However, with a P tech degree, you can be semi retarded and still get hired...

It blows my mind the people they hire, solely based on a P Tech degree and literally no mechanical experience, ability or even common sense.

It's a tough gig to land, a tough gig to work and a tough gig to live with, however, you will be able to provide generously for your family, although you will never see them. Pros and cons for sure.

I'm in my 5th year of it, I don't regret going into this field, however, it's not for everyone.

BTW, Chevron Phillips in Cedar Bayou is hiring, Philips 66 in Nedarland has a HUGE expansion coming this year, Shell and Marathon are hiring.

Also, you can look into Instrumentation and Analyer tech jobs....we are constantly trying hire these crafts, but you'll need Certs..
Old 01-04-2016, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Vince, you have to keep trying.

There isn't a LOT of nepotism down here, but a lot of politics for sure. A lot of "who you know", and a lot of "melting pot" hiring, regardless of qualifications. They "have" to hire X amount of minorities, X amount of females etc etc.

All of the oil/chemical companies are like this...

As for the odds, you may go test with 800 others, 400 get interviews, 20 get hired... This same process occurs every year, for every company.

I'm sure the low oil pricing is slowing some companies down from hiring, but it's usually salary/management positions. Operations is always short handed, always in demand.

You just have to keep trying and trying. If you don't have a Process Tech degree or 3 years of Plant/process experience, it's gonna be a lot harder to land a spot.... If you have a BA in Finance or Marketing, it's of little use to you in Operations and not going to pull much weight with the hiring teams. However, with a P tech degree, you can be semi retarded and still get hired...

It blows my mind the people they hire, solely based on a P Tech degree and literally no mechanical experience, ability or even common sense.

It's a tough gig to land, a tough gig to work and a tough gig to live with, however, you will be able to provide generously for your family, although you will never see them. Pros and cons for sure.

I'm in my 5th year of it, I don't regret going into this field, however, it's not for everyone.

BTW, Chevron Phillips in Cedar Bayou is hiring, Philips 66 in Nedarland has a HUGE expansion coming this year, Shell and Marathon are hiring.

Also, you can look into Instrumentation and Analyer tech jobs....we are constantly trying hire these crafts, but you'll need Certs..
Thanks Alan

Yep, gotta keep trying. Last test I took there had to be at least 100 people in that one session alone! I made it all the way down to the final interviews and didn't make for what I assume are some of the reasons you listed. The refinery appeals to me b/c IMO it's an engineering marvel down there and I think I would be genuinely interested on what goes on...I could be wrong though. My friends work at a couple of refineries and LOVE it. They told me they want to make love to their jobs lol!!!

Thanks for the tip/info Alan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

Another year, another semester. I'm on track to finish the AS this year, but looking like it will be Fall and not during the Summer like I'd hoped :\ Mainly due to scheduling and misinformation by a guidance counselor last semester. PTech I and II can NOT be taken simultaneously FWIW. II and III however can, and that's screwed me out of being able to take a lot of classes that require it as a pre-requisite. So far I've taken Chemistry, Process Instrumentation, Principles of Quality and Intro to Process Technology.

However, I was still able to pull of a full-time load and get my full scholarship amount. When I gave a speech with the site manager of BASF last month, it provided me with a small, but decent number of contacts and I've slowly been building that up. It wasn't easy at first but momentum has been building.

I quit my job at the restaurant and have been doing under the table work for cash. I was hired by a contractor out at Phillips 66 last week as a monitoring technician, but bureaucratic hell has made the paperwork a very long process it would seem. However, KBR Construction has a thing planned at my school next week and they're looking for interns. The poster also had a list of positions and one of the items on the list was "process operations". I reached out to the woman at my school organizing the event and she dropped the name of the HR manager at KBR organizing the event. Created a LinkedIn profile (or rather filled one out I've had for years), got a premium membership and contacted him through there inquiring with further details. He called me Wednesday morning and we spoke. He said I asked him some great questions. Really great questions. In fact, some were so good he couldn't even answer them (his words). He said there would be technical managers out there who *would* be able to answer the ones he couldn't, but we talked at length and I explained who I was and what I'm trying to do. He seemed to like me a lot and said he was looking forward to meeting me next week.

One thing I asked is how/why they were looking for positions in process operations, since as far as I understood they are a construction company. He told me he was told that they're looking for people with a technical background just like mine (PTech students) and they were currently involved with the construction of a new plant, rather than operating a currently existing plant like a normal operator. He asked if I was potentially open to a career in construction or if I had my heart set on Process Operations. Truthfully at this point in the game I'm kind of set on PTech, but I told him I was open. I told him very professionally, yet still with a touch of informal humanity, that I will be 24 this year and was tired of feeling behind. That working in a restaurant and putting on a smile for people hoping they'll feel generous enough to tip you so you can pay your bills becomes mentally taxing after some time and I was looking to break into something career oriented and get my start there. He was glad to hear that.

Any ideas of what I'll be expecting, perhaps someone is familiar with them?

Furthermore, due to the scheduling conflicts, I thought I was screwed to be honest, but it turns out I was able to speak to the division chair of the Bachelor's of Applied Technology program at my school. I inquired about the BA of Industry Management, with a Process Operations specialty. Normally you would need to be done with the Associate's, or closer than I am, but she really liked me and made a special exception, so now I'm enrolled in two of those classes to boost me up into a full time load. From what I've seen, I could probably graduate with it next year. Finish the AS this year, the BA next.

My final question, anyone know anything about that? Or know anybody with a degree like that? Getting into the management side of Process Operations sounds nice at first glance, but I fear a pay cut due to management not typically working as many overtime hours as the Process Techs. When you're the boss, but make less money than the people you manage, it seems kind of stupid. Inquired with my Process Technology 1 teacher about this yesterday, and he just said "well all that over time means less time with your friends and family", but I'm single with no kids, so I really and truly don't give a damn at this stage of my life.

Thoughts? Sorry for the long reply, just been a lot going on and not really anybody with experience who can help, or even pitch some ideas or give feedback. Thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Teching In

I saw someone here works at Motiva Port Arthur. Cant remember who. Testing on the 28th, and I have some questions. PM me!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:47 AM
TECH Resident

Have a phone interview tomorrow with DOW for a Distribution Operator. BASF is also looking to start an internship program from what they told me at a job fair on Friday and they asked if I was interested.

A bit nervous about the interview. Any tips?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just don't try to over sell yourself. A positive attitude is all they are really looking for. They are aware that an entry level operator don't know ****. Hell most veteran operators don't know ****. LOL ... Just a shot from a maintenance guy, don't shoot.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks man, appreciate it. Interview is in 35 minutes!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Thanks man, appreciate it. Interview is in 35 minutes!
good luck!
Old 02-26-2016, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

Phone interview went well! They said they'd let me know about an in-person interview in 7-10 days. 30 minutes later they sent me an email saying to come in on Tuesday for the actual interview but I have to go to the Innovations Center tomorrow (well, today) for some paperwork stuff. Think I got this!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 AM
Teching In

Who else is hiring?

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?