How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PRO5OHHO
Don't give up SNIPEZ, dreams do come true! 9 months of unemployment, 74 applications filled out, 32 rejection emails, 36 who didn't even bother to respond and 7 interviews, all so that I could receive an offer yesterday from my #1 pick, the Exxon Refinery. I start in late August!
Congratulations! What is required to be an operator in a refinery? I have a BBA in finance.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't give up SNIPEZ, dreams do come true! 9 months of unemployment, 74 applications filled out, 32 rejection emails, 36 who didn't even bother to respond and 7 interviews, all so that I could receive an offer yesterday from my #1 pick, the Exxon Refinery. I start in late August!
Very cool. Congratulations on landing your # 1 pick.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoyle
Congratulations! What is required to be an operator in a refinery? I have a BBA in finance.
Generally an associate's of applied science degree or 3 years experience in a plant or refinery setting, but the big petrochemical companies like shell, Exxon, Lyondell, etc. will occasionally bring in someone who has neither. Lyondell turned me down but brought in an 18 y-o who only had a H.S. diploma and had worked at discount bustin' down tires. They like a varied pool of talent. So you'd have a chance. And having a bachelor's degree always helps!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good job! I kind of wish I had tested for Exxon but the distance would have killed me. I tested for Chevron the same day Exxon had theirs last month and passed the first round. Did my COBRA test on Monday.

The COBRA went well, I actually kind of liked it was almost like a game. I know I did very well on the first 3 see scenarios but the last one has me unsure. When it started I immediately cranked my fan to max and put my heater to 10% and let the condenser tank de-pressurize. They shut off the reflux valve first, no big deal. Then the valve to my overhead tanks, also no big deal. As long as the tank was losing pressure and not at risk of flaring I was happy. Then they shut off the fan and then my feed valve, all in that order. I was almost dead nuts on target with my lower tank production goal but a bit shy (like 6.4/10 thousand gallons) for the top. My problem came in because killing my heat so much to make the condenser tank de-pressurize made the upper and lower temps of my distillation tower too low. After the feed valve came back on, product just stopped flowing. I had it cranks to max but my tower and tank were empty and for some reason it would not fill. I got the process back in control for the most part except for the fact that there was no product flowing through for the last few minutes so I couldn't meet my production goal, which I still don't understand. A guy in one of my classes today said the same thing happened to him (feed not filling the tower) a couple of weeks ago when he also took the test for Chevron. He also said he flared, and the two guys iI left the building with also said they flared as well. I didn't flare, didn't overfill any if my tanks and I hit the lower tank production goal, so hopefully I'm not too screwed. The first 3 were good and they said it was a pass/fail. If I pass, I'll move onto an interview, which I feel I won't make it through, but who knows. Miracles can happen.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like you did pretty well. stay focused and positive.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Teching In

SNIPEz, that's good enough. As long as you didn't flare or overflow your reflux accumulation drum you're fine. You pretty much did what I do everytime I take the test and I pass it everytime. My production on that last scenario is well short of the target too. Since they score EH&S higher than production and how long you were in alarm for, I honestly think that's the best you can do in the last scenario.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Well I passed the COBRA!! Interview on Monday the 27th at 3:15PM. Nervous as hell. Like I said, this may very possibly be the end of the line, and I knew that going in from the very beginning, but at least now I know I'm capable of making it this far. Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Well I passed the COBRA!! Interview on Monday the 27th at 3:15PM. Nervous as hell. Like I said, this may very possibly be the end of the line, and I knew that going in from the very beginning, but at least now I know I'm capable of making it this far. Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen.
Congrats!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats Snipez and KC!!!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Good job! I kind of wish I had tested for Exxon but the distance would have killed me. I tested for Chevron the same day Exxon had theirs last month and passed the first round. Did my COBRA test on Monday.

The COBRA went well, I actually kind of liked it was almost like a game. I know I did very well on the first 3 see scenarios but the last one has me unsure. When it started I immediately cranked my fan to max and put my heater to 10% and let the condenser tank de-pressurize. They shut off the reflux valve first, no big deal. Then the valve to my overhead tanks, also no big deal. As long as the tank was losing pressure and not at risk of flaring I was happy. Then they shut off the fan and then my feed valve, all in that order. I was almost dead nuts on target with my lower tank production goal but a bit shy (like 6.4/10 thousand gallons) for the top. My problem came in because killing my heat so much to make the condenser tank de-pressurize made the upper and lower temps of my distillation tower too low. After the feed valve came back on, product just stopped flowing. I had it cranks to max but my tower and tank were empty and for some reason it would not fill. I got the process back in control for the most part except for the fact that there was no product flowing through for the last few minutes so I couldn't meet my production goal, which I still don't understand. A guy in one of my classes today said the same thing happened to him (feed not filling the tower) a couple of weeks ago when he also took the test for Chevron. He also said he flared, and the two guys iI left the building with also said they flared as well. I didn't flare, didn't overfill any if my tanks and I hit the lower tank production goal, so hopefully I'm not too screwed. The first 3 were good and they said it was a pass/fail. If I pass, I'll move onto an interview, which I feel I won't make it through, but who knows. Miracles can happen.
Do you even ESD, bro?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Hey if you want, PM me your email address and I'll send you the list of interview questions that I've compiled from personal Op interviews and others OP interviews. It's about 175 questions, it'll include some of my answers but not the detailed ones and it's an Excel document.

Oh and thanks everybody, I'm super excited that I'll be making a product that I am actually interested in. Making soap was boring.

Last edited by PRO5OHHO; 06-16-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: D
Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Do you even ESD, bro?
Electrostatic discharge? Wait why lol?

Hey if you want, PM me your email address and I'll send you the list of interview questions that I've compiled from personal Op interviews and others OP interviews. It's about 175 questions, it'll include some of my answers but not the detailed ones and it's an Excel document.

Oh and thanks everybody, I'm super excited that I'll be making a product that I am actually interested in. Making soap was boring.
Oh wow, I'll send you a PM shortly!

There was an information session yesterday at school, a lady from Chevron was there and said she'll be a part of my hiring panel! A friend is also graduating at the same time I do and also has an interview a few hours before me, and she told him that graduating in the Fall wouldn't be a problem in regards to getting hired. I feel a lotlot better now, though I feel more nervous at the same time lol
Old 06-17-2016, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Making soap may be boring but when you wear your company shirt buying soap, I bet people don't give you the stink I as though it's your fault soap prices are high. Wait until you are pumping gas in your Exxon FR's, LOL esp. in that fuel efficient Nanner.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Emergency Shutdown. I was just messing with you.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Emergency Shutdown. I was just messing with you.
Hahaha oh. That makes a lot more sense.

Anyone know if Chevron works a 4/4 schedule or the DuPont? Something else? This is the Sweeny location I'm referring to, if that matters
Old 06-19-2016, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!!

Exxon is a great place to work. They take care of their people. My father in law is a Supr. out there. Great retirement plan too.

You fought a tough fight for sure....and it paid off.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:28 PM

looking for any operator postion thats hiring right now been out of the army for a year and looking for a good career change
Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Oh wow, I'll send you a PM shortly!

There was an information session yesterday at school, a lady from Chevron was there and said she'll be a part of my hiring panel! A friend is also graduating at the same time I do and also has an interview a few hours before me, and she told him that graduating in the Fall wouldn't be a problem in regards to getting hired. I feel a lotlot better now, though I feel more nervous at the same time lol
you left us hanging! Did you get the job?? Lol

does anyone have any experience with Flint Hills in Corpus? I really want to work for them. They aren't hiring operators right now, but I want to prepare for when they do. Do you have to test? I've heard from two people they don't require any tests, but that seems strange....
Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jlongo77
you left us hanging! Did you get the job?? Lol

does anyone have any experience with Flint Hills in Corpus? I really want to work for them. They aren't hiring operators right now, but I want to prepare for when they do. Do you have to test? I've heard from two people they don't require any tests, but that seems strange....
Nope, same lady mentioned in that post was on the interview panel. My buddy and I had our interviews the same day, when we sat down the very first thing she said was "Now, this job requires that you've already completed your degree in Process Technology, do you have that ready to go?"

I was pretty pissed honestly, but kept my composure. I start my final semester tomorrow, just a hair over 3 months. Starting to have major regrets going down this path honestly, still have nothing to show for it. Perhaps when the degree is completed it will be better, but I've even changed my resume to imply it is complete and still nothing. I've gotten a leadership certification, done a fair amount of volunteer work that's also been sponsored by DOW and other big companies, I have great grades, continually building experience as a chemical lab tech at DOW, given a speech with the site manager of BASF, they use pictures of me in the paper and other brochures etc to advertise my colleges PTECH program and I have a pretty solid mechanical background as well. I feel like I've done everything possible to groom myself...

Testing with Phillips on the 11th, not going to hold my breath but we'll see.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pulling for you here at P66. A close tyranny man is always a good thing. LOL Really though, I think you have a good shot. P66 In my opinion beats the hell out of DOW or BASF anyhow. Good luck it seems you have been hard at trying.

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?