Buying a New Laptop, Any Suggestions, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buying a New Laptop, Any Suggestions, Help!

I wanted to buy a new laptop any suggestions, Im just now starting to shop around but I am really impressed by the Sony VAIO FZ40000 cause it has Blue Ray standard and you can customize it up the *** and the highest price is $3,000. Keep in mind that I dont know squat about memory,speed or GB's.etc.. all that computer talk.
All I did was just pick the biggest numbers they had on custimazation template. I also checked out Dell, but there Notebooks are about 1grand more if I was to get some of the features and numbers that I selected with Sony, Can you guys recommend a Good Setup for a Laptop, I wanna be able to do my school work, watch movies, watch Tv and and that other fun crap laptops are for, burn DVD's CD's etc.. I dont have internet access at home anymore only here at work, but only for an hour, I can check the forum through my phone but I cant mess around with stuff from the flash player websites since im on a phone.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

buy mine!!! i just got a mac so the HP has to go... its couple months old cuz my old hp was stolen from my car so i bought this HP tx1215 12.1" screen all the goodies for school, work, play, has a remote for it and all... paid 1000 for it... if ur interested TXT me 210-393-0410 ill let it go for 800, i can ship too

sweet laptop look up tx1000 series... its jjust the tx1215nr which is one of its customized versions...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

By what you listed.. you can get a nice laptop for less than a grand. Actually way less if you shop around. Just a basic intel Duo Core or Athlon 64 x2 will be fine. Anything new will come with 512-1gb of ram. 1 Gb is what you will prefer. Anything new will have a wireless card. Blue ray is gonna be a waist. Just get a dvd player/burner. Dont buy celeron and or sempron crap and you really dont have much to worry about. Get at least a 60Gb hard drive. My point is all the extras are a waist of money, unless you just have the money to burn. 500-800 is a realistic price range. Anything more and you are either paying for software you dont need or a really highend model that you will never put to use.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

macbook FTMFW!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Mac? How much are they running around at?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I paid about 900 for mine, after student discounts
Old 01-19-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

What are you going to use it for and what do you want it to have? Im pretty good with comps and might be able to help you not overpay
Old 01-19-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

i heard the Macs are the top ones out now but i'd still never buy an Apple....
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leeluther252
By what you listed.. you can get a nice laptop for less than a grand. Actually way less if you shop around. Just a basic intel Duo Core or Athlon 64 x2 will be fine. Anything new will come with 512-1gb of ram. 1 Gb is what you will prefer. Anything new will have a wireless card. Blue ray is gonna be a waist. Just get a dvd player/burner. Dont buy celeron and or sempron crap and you really dont have much to worry about. Get at least a 60Gb hard drive. My point is all the extras are a waist of money, unless you just have the money to burn. 500-800 is a realistic price range. Anything more and you are either paying for software you dont need or a really highend model that you will never put to use.
thats about as perfect as it can get. Toshiba satillites kick *** but the battery life sucks. My Dells are half decent for what I use them for, but thats because i only use them for school.
TECH Apprentice

then again, that's just because I find it hard to learn that new system
Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Macs are pretty much just a work computer, alot of software and games wont run on them. They are better for work but suck for play. I recently bought a toshiba turion x2 1.9 g processor with 160 g hard drive. vista OS and upgraded to 4 gigs of ram myself for 70 bucks from frys. total price was 549 for laptop and 70 for ram...total 620 plus tax. It works great for what i use it for which is internet, school, burning dvd and games...it really depends on what u want/need it for
Old 01-20-2008, 03:59 AM
TECH Regular

Get something with at least 2 GB of ram. From my experience I would tell you to stay away from a Mac. Nothing but trouble. My friend just got a MacBook Pro and already lost his school work due to crashes and incompatibility. Just find something at a reasonable price. If you pay a lot for a laptop you are getting a gaming laptop, which is retarded. If you want to game just build a desktop for much cheaper and get more out of it.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Curveball TECH

Dshag, you bought the whole set up from frys? Sounds like a good deal, what kind of graphics card did you get with it?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
macbook FTMFW!
werd. im gonna get rid of my VAIO and probably get the new Air notebook. it runs about $3500 though. i like the Leopard software they use
Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by adillhoff
Get something with at least 2 GB of ram. From my experience I would tell you to stay away from a Mac. Nothing but trouble. My friend just got a MacBook Pro and already lost his school work due to crashes and incompatibility. Just find something at a reasonable price. If you pay a lot for a laptop you are getting a gaming laptop, which is retarded. If you want to game just build a desktop for much cheaper and get more out of it.
I got an Ibook G4 for Christmas 3 years ago and have NEVER had a single problem. Never one crash. Sounds like user error to me, too much ****?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Teching In

I would get a desktop but I want to be able to carry my laptop with me, the laptop would serve as a replacement of a desktop So I want it to have all the desktop capabilities on it. I don't want it primarly for gaming more so entertainment and school work, how ever I wanna be able to play games on it if I choose to. So that's why I want the best setup for a laptop since in a way its gonna be my desktop. so if yall can give me the breakdown of the best numbers I can combine for the best performance and lower price.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Whatever you buy

See if you can lessen the HD size to pay less money

Having a 120 gig or higher HD is unnecesary imo
Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

No i bought the 4 gigs of ram from frys online store, they were running like a 40 rebate. The laptop is a toshiba that i bought at office depot actually. Its graphics card is 319mb shared video memory. Its not the best thats for sure as long as you dont play any games that require a lot of graphics its fine. It was originally like 849 but had a rebate for 300...Im happy with it. IMO it works great for me but doesnt seem to be built to last a long time. My brother bought a sony vaio for a hundred bucks more, its not as good but it seems that the case is made stronger and more durable.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

A laptop cant really replace a desktop IMO because it just wont perform the same. A desktop has way more expandability as far as graphics, harddrives, RAM, and even cpu. I play simple games on my laptop mostly however i havent had any problems playing Warcraft, Age of empires and that type of stuff. You will never really be able to match the graphics unless you want to spend like 2k or more. I would say keep the games for a desktop comp and just use your laptop for some games, work and school. Keep in mind for the 1300 or more you will save you can build a bad *** desktop. By entertainment im guessing movies so you might want to get a HD screen. I personally am happy with my display which is not HD. I will download whatever and hook it up to the tv with an svideo cable or burn it to dvd. Also keep in mind battery life only lasts a couple hrs if that
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by E V I L
I got an Ibook G4 for Christmas 3 years ago and have NEVER had a single problem. Never one crash. Sounds like user error to me, too much ****?
Eh, hardly user error. I try to keep up with macs, but over the years I have been much happier with PC. I am able to upgrade whenever I want and I end up doing all of my software developing, editing, graphics design on the PC. It seems any road you choose is going to be bumpy. I actually am taking a liking to Fedora.