back from operation..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default back from operation..

went in to the doctors office last week for a bad lower abdominal pain. well they found 2 hernias. and had to operate on them immediately. went in on thursday and got out the same day. this is probably the worst pain i have ever felt. been on all the pain meds and thats like candy! any of you guys ever been in a similair situation?

peace!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mary jane++++
Old 02-16-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you get better soon, Joe.

Pain meds for the win!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:18 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, hope you make a fast recovery, i have a hernia but it doesnt bother me so i just ignore it.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Obviously they did it laproscopicly if you got out that same day, within a week the pain should be all but gone, take an extra pill if it doesnt work, they probably gave you 7.5mg strength with 500mg acetaminophen...if you get your doc to change it to norco which has less tylenon-acetaminophen you can take more at the same strength...Its actually a pretty cool procedure to watch, the most painful part is usually the air that gets trapped in your stomach, also if you are taking more then reccommended dose watch the amount of tylenol your taking, the daily max is 4 grams i believe

Last edited by dshag; 02-16-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

thanks everyone.
Kyle- ill holler at you later on in the week.
Zane- i know it may not bother you. but a hernia isnt something you should ignore. it can either rupture or become a form of cancer .
d-****. im taking hydrocodone sp? its ok. but if i pass out more tha 8 hrs. and the pain killer has lapsee i feel like i had just got my *** beaten. its painful.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Joe, that sucks man hope you get well soon man !!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

The hydrocodone is good, im not sure what sp is, sounds like the weakest dose but i could be wrong. the doses come in 5mg, 7.5mg and 10mg the 7.5 mg will usually has XS for extra strength...That sucks if its weakest strength. The reason you can only take it every 6 hrs is the fact that is has 500mg per tab so if you take 2 tabs every 6hrs you hit the may tylenol per day. Tylenol can be hard on the liver so this is why, if you had norco it only has 325mg per tab so you can take it way more often. If you dont have any liver problems i would up the dose if its not working but thats crappy the doc only gave you 5mg caps, if thats what strength they are he should of atleast ordered you 10mg caps and just told you to take 1 so you get less tylenol...also it depends where and what type of hernia you have wether they really need to be repaired

When i broke my ankle a year ago i was on 7.5/325 norco, because of less tylenol i could take 2 every 4hrs instead of every 6 like your stuck with

If you have any questions feel free to ask, im a icu nurse
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Get well soon Joe. And quit lifting heavy ****
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

got knocked off motorcycle in june and had knee sugery in august, i was down for a month, had to re-learn how to walk teh suxxors knee still hurts
crazy *** pain
Old 02-16-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dshag
The hydrocodone is good, im not sure what sp is, sounds like the weakest dose but i could be wrong. the doses come in 5mg, 7.5mg and 10mg the 7.5 mg will usually has XS for extra strength...That sucks if its weakest strength. The reason you can only take it every 6 hrs is the fact that is has 500mg per tab so if you take 2 tabs every 6hrs you hit the may tylenol per day. Tylenol can be hard on the liver so this is why, if you had norco it only has 325mg per tab so you can take it way more often. If you dont have any liver problems i would up the dose if its not working but thats crappy the doc only gave you 5mg caps, if thats what strength they are he should of atleast ordered you 10mg caps and just told you to take 1 so you get less tylenol...also it depends where and what type of hernia you have wether they really need to be repaired

When i broke my ankle a year ago i was on 7.5/325 norco, because of less tylenol i could take 2 every 4hrs instead of every 6 like your stuck with

If you have any questions feel free to ask, im a icu nurse
the bottle says 5/500 hyrdocodone. so im taking its good. but it only lasts about 3.5 hrs.

the hernias were bilateral both of them. what type of hernia would you consider ignoring?

NINEBALL- thanks man. hope i feel better the next few days
Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

surgical wise theres a couple that arent needed until theres to much pain, theres also several different ways to repair hernias. The one hernia surgery i watched was a spigellan hernia that ocurs along you lower abdomen along your oblique muscle at your suprapubicular line...basicall a couple inches below your belly button and to the side. The Dr i worked with explained that theres no need for immediate surgery until it becomes to painful and the surgical repair for that particular hernia was just to put a mesh pad up against the wall and sew it in place eventually the tissue grows through out it and its fixed. Theres others but only a doc can really tell you wether or not it needs surgery. Usually with older people they wont repair them because of other health issues and old people usually dont do heavy lifting. Different docs may have differing opinions on these tho.

Oh and 5/500 is the lowest dose, thats 5mg of narcotic and 500mg of tylenol

The reasoning behind not repairing hernias is depending on your job and lifestyle you might be able to avoid things like heavy lifting that could worsen it however if you cant fix it with lifestyle changes then they will most likely just repair it

Last edited by dshag; 02-16-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dshag
surgical wise theres a couple that arent needed until theres to much pain, theres also several different ways to repair hernias. The one hernia surgery i watched was a spigellum hernia that ocurs along you lower abdomen along your oblique muscle at your suprapubicular line...basicall a couple inches below your belly button and to the side. The Dr i worked with explained that theres no need for immediate surgery until it becomes to painful and the surgical repair for that particular hernia was just to put a mesh pad up against the wall and sew it in place eventually the tissue grows through out it and its fixed. Theres others but only a doc can really tell you wether or not it needs surgery. Usually with older people they wont repair them because of other health issues and old people usually dont do heavy lifting. Different docs may have differing opinions on these tho.

Oh and 5/500 is the lowest dose, thats 5mg of narcotic and 500mg of tylenol

The reasoning behind not repairing hernias is depending on your job and lifestyle you might be able to avoid things like heavy lifting that could worsen it however if you cant fix it with lifestyle changes then they will most likely just repair it
yea. i could have probably ignored it. but it was bad enough to worry me and i lost a bit of sleep over it.. hey if you dont mind me asking which hospital do you work at ? or are you still schooling?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

JPS in downtown ft worth just started there a while ago, still precepting...its a wonderful hospital, they take really good care of their employees, great benefits and service to the community

Last edited by dshag; 02-16-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Aww how long till you're able to get out and do normal stuff without much pain?

I hope you get back to normal soon! I can imagine that's gotta suck having to remember to take pills every few hours, and then by chance forgetting or taking too long and then being in major pain!

They don't have longer lasing pills, i'm assuming?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

I've had a hernia for about... 8 months now. Doesn't bother me. Went to the doc and he said it's nothing to really worry too much about. That is, unless my intestine freakin blows out and gets stuck.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Powerhouse
I've had a hernia for about... 8 months now. Doesn't bother me. Went to the doc and he said it's nothing to really worry too much about. That is, unless my intestine freakin blows out and gets stuck.
if its tiny then no worries. but that possibility is always there. mine was life or death.

misstransam- yea it sucks trying to keep track of the pills. things could be worse i guess.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:44 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks to hear that Joe, but at least you are on the mend.

Had a hernia repaired when I was about 8. My best buddy and I tried using his big brother's free weights. Didn't turn out to be a very good idea.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TWS
Sucks to hear that Joe, but at least you are on the mend.

Had a hernia repaired when I was about 8. My best buddy and I tried using his big brother's free weights. Didn't turn out to be a very good idea.
thanks Todd! we will be talkin soon. finally got that time off that i wanted hehe.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

way to get that vacation joe hahhahaa, call ya tomorrow.