Blu-ray wins. HD-DVD goes the way of the Betamax.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blu-ray wins. HD-DVD goes the way of the Betamax.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/.../japan_toshiba

That didn't take long.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

No ****? I hadn't heard about it.

This info isn't posted anywhere else, huh?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Its about time this crap is done with. Glad I held off buying one or the other. Time to get Planet Earth on Blu Ray!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5551360.html
Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
No ****? I hadn't heard about it.

This info isn't posted anywhere else, huh?
What's your point. I've seen posts on this debate in this forum in the past. They just announced it this morning. I thought some here might not have heard yet so I posted it. It's your own fault for wasting your time in this thread you sarcastic asswipe.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes and it sucks donkey *****. I'll be damned if Sony is ever going to get another penny of mine. **** thier sorry root-kit-software-installing-that-you-didn't-know-about sorry asses.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
Yes and it sucks donkey *****. I'll be damned if Sony is ever going to get another penny of mine. **** thier sorry root-kit-software-installing-that-you-didn't-know-about sorry asses.

I thought they stopped that ****?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

So It looks like everyone will own a PS3.. LOL
I say that since a blue ray player is like ******* 800 dollars...
As to where I can buy a 400 dollar PS3, and have a gaming console and a blue ray disc player....
Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Blu-Ray is really not a better format either. HD-DVD and Blu-ray both have a max resolution of 1080 x 1920 progressive scan. That is a fixed absolute resolution. Sure videophiles can probably see the difference on a frigging huge TV. Sony must have made some behind the scenes maneuvers to beat out HD-DVD in the market. There are roughly 400 titles out for either format, nothing to shout about. I will be keeping my up-converted dvd player till prices drop and more titles are available.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damnit i just bought an hddvd player like a month ago
Old 02-19-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
What's your point. I've seen posts on this debate in this forum in the past. They just announced it this morning. I thought some here might not have heard yet so I posted it. It's your own fault for wasting your time in this thread you sarcastic asswipe.
No need to get your panties in a twist. It's not like this isn't posted on every message board on the internet or somethin'.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im just happy that one made it out over the other so i can put my HTPC together soon
Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
No need to get your panties in a twist. It's not like this isn't posted on every message board on the internet or somethin'.
So did you comment on every other message board on the internet or just here? There are tons of posts here with current information that is available on other message boards. I'd venture to say if you removed all those posts from the TX section this place would be fairly dead. kinda like the TX forum over at LS2. Still not sure what your point was.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Blu-Ray is really not a better format either. HD-DVD and Blu-ray both have a max resolution of 1080 x 1920 progressive scan. That is a fixed absolute resolution. Sure videophiles can probably see the difference on a frigging huge TV. Sony must have made some behind the scenes maneuvers to beat out HD-DVD in the market. There are roughly 400 titles out for either format, nothing to shout about. I will be keeping my up-converted dvd player till prices drop and more titles are available.
blue-ray is the better format you can see the difference, well at least i can plus it hold like 50 gigs of disc space, and that means 1 movie disc instead of like 3 like star wars and lords of the rings.and can pack it with more special features for movie buffs like myself.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RodZilla's WS6
blue-ray is the better format you can see the difference, well at least i can plus it hold like 50 gigs of disc space, and that means 1 movie disc instead of like 3 like star wars and lords of the rings.and can pack it with more special features for movie buffs like myself.
That's not quite the way it works, the movies still take up a crapload of space. The shorter movies would fit with the specials on a dual layer, but not a single layer (2 hr movies take up about 26GB on a 27GB disc). The extended versions of Lord Of The Rings would fit the movies, but specials would still need a second disc.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/blu-ray.htm

BluRay and HD DVD have the same resolution, so they *should* look the exact same. The only people who have said they don't look the same viewed them each on different televisions (BluRay at Best Buy they show on premium Sony TV's, HD DVD they stick on cheap Vizio or Westinghouse TV's). Everyone else I know who has both says they can't see any difference at all when viewed on the same TV.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hd-dvd3.htm

And Camaroholic is right, this is, and has been, freaking everywhere since pretty much the second they announced it.

Tom
Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Well Blu Ray holds 35 GB single layer compared to HD DVDs 25GB. Sony is also fabbing up a quad-layer disc that holds 100GB. Blu Ray is more expensive for consumers but cheaper for producers.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by adillhoff
Well Blu Ray holds 35 GB single layer compared to HD DVDs 25GB. Sony is also fabbing up a quad-layer disc that holds 100GB. Blu Ray is more expensive for consumers but cheaper for producers.
Actually it's 27GB for a single-layer BluRay and 15GB for a single-layer HD DVD. Dual-layers are double that for each, and the 4-layer BluRay is 100GB, however it is uncertain what drives it will actually work with. I believe Hitachi used a standard BluRay laser head to read the 4-layer, but it required firmware and software revisions. One thing to bear in mind is Sony's lack of a standard with a lot of the standalone players, so pretty much only the PS3 can avoid being outdated with each subsequent standard Sony releases (BluRay 2.0 is going to render many, many players almost obsolete because of a lack of compatibility - though they should still play the movies, but nothing else). Who knows what will happen with the multi-layer discs .

Tom
Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
Its about time this crap is done with. Glad I held off buying one or the other. Time to get Planet Earth on Blu Ray!
i have Plant Earth on blu ray, its amazing recomend it to anyone. its a good way to just chill and relax for 12 hours
Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

yeah I guess 1 out of 3 isn't bad in sony's mind. Betamax(sony) failed, UMD(again sony) failed, and now they finally get blue ray.