the ls1 cranks, but rarely starts- help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default the ls1 cranks, but rarely starts- help

2 nights ago i was leaving a neighborhood, i went to turn the jeep on(ls1 in the jeep) and i didnt crank it far enough for it to start, it made a weird noise then died. then i re-cranked and it fired up but started idling very bad, i drove it for about 20 seconds and then it died. it wouldnt start back up after this. the next day i put some 'super' gas into it, and it starts up about 5 crank attempts later, but runs horrible and eventually dies

after this, i can start it up each time- but it dies. the next day i go and attempt to start it and it doesnt fire up at all- cranks, but nothing. i spray starting fluid into the TB, nothing. 20 min. later it starts up, runs like crap then shuts off- i cant get it to start anymore

since then, ive replaced the crank position sensor and ignition relays. its getting fuel(55-60psi checked) at the fuel rail. it doesnt seem to be getting spark, but yet it will randomly start up after 100 attempts(but idle bad)

any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to check your fuel pressure. thats not the only thing but it would be my first check
Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

sry didnt see that you already did that. injector pulsation? get noid lights and check the injector pulse.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
you need to check your fuel pressure. thats not the only thing but it would be my first check
yea, i put a pressure gauge on it, its 55psi when primed and jumps from 55-60 when cranking
Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
sry didnt see that you already did that. injector pulsation? get noid lights and check the injector pulse.
well, i had one of the spark plugs out and had someone crank it, gas spray comes out of the spark plug hole soo i guess that means the injectors are spraying- i grounded the spark plug while it was out to the block while it was being cranked and no spark
Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
well, i had one of the spark plugs out and had someone crank it, gas spray comes out of the spark plug hole soo i guess that means the injectors are spraying- i grounded the spark plug while it was out to the block while it was being cranked and no spark
hmmm.. sadly, this could be a number of things. Swap the coil pack from another cylinder to that one and see if it sparks. Or are all the plugs not getting spark?

Could be... PCM as well... cant think of what all can cause that. Someone else mention some things
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for a ground problem. More than likely you are haveing an issue with a gound being loose or bad contact.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Look for a ground problem. More than likely you are haveing an issue with a gound being loose or bad contact.
i checked for grounds, everything is good. i swapped the coil packs (drivers side went to the pass. side) and it attempted to start- i then sprayed starting fluid in it and it fired right up but 2 sec. after it fired up it went to about 500rpm and idled really bad

im uploading a video right now to show yall exactly whats going on, it almost sounds like i have a damn cam
Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

could it be a vacuum issue?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
could it be a vacuum issue?
well, i checked everything- i dont think a vacuum leak could be causing this

heres the video of it running bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeq3u68rCX4
camshaft position sensor? sounds like the timing starts going bad
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

problem solved, MAF SENSOR.............................. *@#$
Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish i had the freakin' staples button right now, because i got to the damn thread too late

That was easy
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know if i can drive without the MAF sensor? should i get a speed/density tune or just buy a new MAF
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone know if i can drive without the MAF sensor? should i get a speed/density tune or just buy a new MAF

Yea, it will start up. That will let you know if the MAF is the culprit since once in starts the PCM sees a problem and goes into speed density mode anyhow.

It may die the first few times though. if that starts at all.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
Yea, it will start up. That will let you know if the MAF is the culprit since once in starts the PCM sees a problem and goes into speed density mode anyhow.

It may die the first few times though. if that starts at all.
i just attempted to drive it w/out the maf, i got about 4min. down the road and it started backfiring(poping) and then died. i sat on the side of the road for about 10min. then cranked it back up and was able to drive back home

its normal to do that? lol i dont want to risk having to get it towed again, i'll probably just buy a maf
Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just attempted to drive it w/out the maf, i got about 4min. down the road and it started backfiring(poping) and then died. i sat on the side of the road for about 10min. then cranked it back up and was able to drive back home

its normal to do that? lol i dont want to risk having to get it towed again, i'll probably just buy a maf

if it died without the MAF, its most likely not the MAF, but it couldnt hurt since they are like 35 here used.

You might try a crank relearn procedure, possibly cam relearn as well. Ask someone here that knows more about it. What year LS1?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
if it died without the MAF, its most likely not the MAF, but it couldnt hurt since they are like 35 here used.

You might try a crank relearn procedure, possibly cam relearn as well. Ask someone here that knows more about it. What year LS1?
2001, i talked to a guy that does computer tuning and he says that not runing the maf sensor will do exactly what it did to me
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2001, i talked to a guy that does computer tuning and he says that not runing the maf sensor will do exactly what it did to me

But it did start without the MAF and wont with it, correct?