truck won't go/shop trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation truck won't go/shop trouble

ok my dad asked me to post up on here because yall are the gurus of everything that is go.

1994 chevy pick up V6 single cab (originally show truck). has about 175k on the clock but last year the transmission went poopy so my dad had it rebuilt last year. about 3 weeks ago the truck went poopy again. towed it to the shop that rebuilt the transmission and the guy has been giving my dad the run around about fixing. supposedly only 2 days to fix, hes had it for a week and a half without calling so my dad stopped by today unannounced and the guy said it would be longer, because there was a cracked flywheel and showed my dad the part, my dad questions whether or not that was even his flywheel...

my question is. what causes a cracked flywheel? my dad says it has hairline cracks next to the 6 bolts. is it the mileage on the truck? or whats the deal, also how long does it take to fix this, exchange parts.

Thanks for everything guys, please let me know what yall know as soon as yall find out something. gotta get back to my dad soon
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Assuming that it is an auto with 175K on it, I would think that it isn't uncommon for there to be hairline cracks around it. As far as it taking a week and a half to get a new flywheel, thats crazy. You could get a new one from GM in a day or two.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I would call that guy's bullshit..
It should not take that long to get a flywheel.. Being a shop, he should be able to get it ASAP, like the next day. If he is any kind of shop that is.

I would not trust anyone who does the way you have told us this guy did. Especially the no calling and excuse of taking longer because the flywheel is cracked.
That is BS.. Unless he cracked it himself...

So what happened to the truck to make it take a **** the 2nd time?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by quickblade
Yeah I would call that guy's bullshit..
It should not take that long to get a flywheel.. Being a shop, he should be able to get it ASAP, like the next day. If he is any kind of shop that is.

I would not trust anyone who does the way you have told us this guy did. Especially the no calling and excuse of taking longer because the flywheel is cracked.
That is BS.. Unless he cracked it himself...

So what happened to the truck to make it take a **** the 2nd time?
yea something seems fishy with this guy. the truck is a 94 and does have a lot of miles though so stuff is bound to break. the transmission was rebuilt by him less than a year ago....and it just crapped out, nothing significant happen, it just can't go into gear.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well first off, it's an auto . . . . it's a flex plate . . . and not a fly wheel.

If it's a manual 5 speed. The it has the getdrag trans . . . and that is a pile of crap

This guy is stringing you along, and he's hoping that you go away.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tootall
well first off, it's an auto . . . . it's a flex plate . . . and not a fly wheel.

If it's a manual 5 speed. The it has the getdrag trans . . . and that is a pile of crap

This guy is stringing you along, and he's hoping that you go away.
I agree there on the hoping you go away, or tell him you will be picking the truck up...
I would not trust this guy to touch the car.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A flywheel or flexplate with a hairline crack will not affect the transmissions shifting. It could cause a noise or vibration but won't affect anything else.
Sounds like you went to one of the typical shady trans shops that don't stand behind their work with a solid warranty. Or a bad general repair shop that shoudn't be doing trans work. Next time check with the BBB before you take it somewhere.
Take it to ACE Racing Transmissions who is a sponsor or to the Aamco in Fort Worth.