Has anyone else been hit with credit/check/debit card fraud lately?!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone else been hit with credit/check/debit card fraud lately?!

I just got hit on Monday by someone in the LA area who took me for $2400 out of my checking account(using my debit/visa card info) and I have my card on me. I am military and so far we have had approx. 25 guys in my unit get hit with this in the past week. Just wondering if it is happening anywhere else.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

Dang, that sucks...actually that just recently happened to my parents, they came down to Houston to visit and we went to eat. Like a week and a half later my mom noticed there was money missing from her account, so she looked at the history and it turns out someone used the "card" at Wal-Mart in Houston to purchase 2 gift cards, 1 for 600$ and one for 60$. Well my dad had the card that was so called used. We know the person didnt have the card bc it was used on Valentines day and my parents were out of state during that time frame. They only used the card 1 time the whole day in Houston and it was the restaurant so it had to be someone there. Wal-Mart said the person swiped one card that was declined and than swiped my dads card and it went through ( they still had record of it, which was good). The police said they make a print of ur card and are able to make fake debit cards and swipe them as credit so they do not have to put in a pin number....It crazy how people do things these days!! WATCH OUT, u never know

Last edited by LS1LaLa_GOAT; 03-06-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny that you ask, but just got hit 3 days ago for $460. Credit card charged in California. WTF! I already disputed it. Charge from google.com/blah whatever something or other.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i work in the financing industry and specifically in credit fraud. Its a huge moneymaker for gangs/organized crime as well as overseas. Most credit companies will flag odd charges like these before they go through, go to freecreditreport.com, you get one free credit report a year from each of the 3 bureas, check over it and make sure there arent any credit lines on there without your knowledge.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had someone get 3,000 out of my checking account 4 months ago. Called the bank up and they took care of it
Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I had someone out of Cali specifically oakland using my card for gas at shell stations and and I didnt catch it until MLK day and the bank was closed and they hit up gas 11 times on just MLK day using my card when I had it on me. I cant figure out how their doin it, if anyone has any insight lemme know. I'm also military but I dont think its tied to that because they have none of my card info. My aunt works at the bank and says that theyve had a bunch of people complain and she's heard that they put things on the gas pump outside that reads your info and saves it for later use
Old 03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

My bank will be refunding my money, but I just mailed in the dispute papaerwork; also, still have to wait for their investigation to get done. I probably wont see my money for another week.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I think there must be some kind of value limit or something for them to open an investigation, I went to my bank the day after the MLK day I was talking about and told them what happened and they went ahead and refunded the money within 24 hours, but I had already closed all cards attatched to the the account because I didnt know which one they were using until I got to the bank
Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
i work in the financing industry and specifically in credit fraud. Its a huge moneymaker for gangs/organized crime as well as overseas. Most credit companies will flag odd charges like these before they go through, go to freecreditreport.com, you get one free credit report a year from each of the 3 bureas, check over it and make sure there arent any credit lines on there without your knowledge.
Definetly check your report....just checked mine two days ago....found an AMEX account on my name back in '95; when i was 13 years old lol for $32,000(paid off though), and a bunch of other ****, accounts opened in Cali when i have never even lived there...4 accounts i dont even know about that are delinquint....freecreditreport.com gives u a free report, but u have to cancel it or they start charging you...always thought that would never happen to me, lo and behold!!!

Last edited by 02SStreetmachine; 03-07-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My brother got jacked last month. They bought a huge TV with his debit card.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Launching!

obviously the punishment for thieves isn't enough to deter this from happening.
cant stand people that steal. special place in hell for those guys.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Launching!

was watching this thing on profesional pick pocketer and they also steal debit card information by attaching a thing to an atm machine and when you put ur card in it copies the magnetic strip and also has a tiny camera that catches you pin number, they did it to some women but ended up giving the money back to her, it is crazy as hell
Old 03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

she's heard that they put things on the gas pump outside that reads your info and saves it for later use
ALWAYS be on the lookout for something extra attached to an ATM or any card reader. If you see something strange, report it & don't use it. This is one of the best ways to steal info (not speaking from experience). Below is an article & pic.

http://www.cibc.com/ca/legal/debit-card-skim.html
Old 03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

I've had THREE fake checks written in my name and i'm having a bitch of a time trying to get it smoothed over. The problem with mine, is that its not even MY accounts! I guess they're just using my info and putting it on one of those checks you can have made out with any account number (you know, those things you get in the mail to have checks with betty boop or dolphins or w/e!). I've called Telecheck and they cant even let me speak to a human without an account number. But HELLO..they're not my checks, and on my notices I keep getting in the mail, they dont give me an account number! So I've filed TWO reports with the LeagueCity PD, and I have to have some law enforcement assistance to get H.E.B, Target, and some crappy mom and pop "We cash any checks!" place to cooperate with me and give me the actual check numbers. If I walk in there or call them, they don't do jack.

They really need to have someone that is hired and just helps people with ALL types of ID theft and fraud..because I'm afraid my credit will be ruined and I'll owe these three companies thousands of dollars for something I sure as hell didn't do! I don't even use checks for anything; I don't own checks! Hell, i'd even pay a hired professional just to help me get this handles. The LCPD is not helping at all, it seems. This was back in NOVEMBER! They said they'd have a Detective on the case and call me soon..and this was a while back :-(

Yeah. ID Thieves FTL!!

Search this Thread