Possibly Relocating to Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possibly Relocating to Texas

Hey Fellas,

My company is possibly moving me out of Florida to another State within the next 6 months: My options are Texas, Connecticut, Colorado, and New Hampshire. I already have some family in Texas (My aunt is the superintendant of schools in Austin) so I think we're going to look there. My wife and I haven't lived near any family in 8 years, so it'll be nice to have them around.

My boss handed me a list of potential cities I can research on: Here they are...

Austin
Plano
Round Rock
Denton
Richardson

I'm looking for a NICE area that has a lot of business. I'm not looking to live in the city, but a nice/quiet suburb would be preferred. My wife and I are looking to have some kids in the next few years, so I'd like there to be some good schools and not be in the ghetto. Think uppity! LOL

If you guys could give me some input, I'd really appreciate it.

BTW - Living near a track would be nice

Thanks in advance,
Vincent
Old 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Launching!

sounds like you just described round rock

just out of austin and has amazing schools, plus you can get country if you choose to move out farther from the interstate, suburbian in other words lol
Old 04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

plano and richardson are large suburb areas with good roads and centrally located along highway 75. not sure why they would both be on the list they are only about 10 minutes from eachother and about 30 minutes north of DFW
Old 04-03-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having lived in both Texas (3 years) and Connecticut (11 years) I would have to say you are crazy if you do not choose Texas ..
Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Having lived in both Texas (3 years) and Connecticut (11 years) I would have to say you are crazy if you do not choose Texas ..
I think Texas is where we'll end up. The Northern States mentioned are too cold for me. I get ZERO enjoyment from freezing my *** off. Thanks, but no thanks.

Business here in Florida has been terrible for the last 2 years, so my company is pulling me out. On top of that, we're paying $3.79 for 87oct and $4.19 for diesel - my job is requires ALOT of driving, so that affects me greatly. Additionally, the majority of the people here are ********. I actually got the finger from a driver, while helping an elderly woman to cross the street for church. Can you believe that?!

I've been here since 00' and she's lived here her whole life. It's time for a change and I think Texas is it.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
10-Second Club

+1 for Round Rock, it's nice up there, should suit you fine. Plus it's right outside Austin so it would put you close to your family. The other 3 choices are all part of the D/FW metroplex area & you'd be hours away from your aunt. My aunt lives in Round Rock.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Austin has bad traffic. Never have lived in any of the other cities.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
10-Second Club

I think it's safe to say that ALL major cities in America have bad traffic if you get off when 80% of the other working people in the city get off work. (ok, i pulled that 80% from my ***, but it sounded good, lol) Thing is, if he's got a location in Round Rock to work in, there are plenty of subdivisions or nice places to live near where his office will be, and he won't have to deal with the bad traffic in Austin.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

im in denton, not very quite though.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
im in denton, not very quite though.
Should I scratch Denton from my list? Is it a bad place?

As far as traffic goes, if you guys ever come to Florida - BEWARE the Belvedere Curve. Anyone that's lived on the East Coast of Fla can vouche for that. Basically it's 4 lanes of I95 condensed into 1 lane for 10 miles. It's the biggest blunder of road engineering in human history.

The traffic part doesn't concern me too bad. We did a stint in Atlanta for 6 months, and the traffic there was terrible.

It's really tough moving to a place that you've never been before. I'm trying to see if they'll pay for us to visit for a week. I've never even been to Texas, but I hear the people are really nice - which is what we need. You can't even hold a door open here without people giving you the stink eye.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People in Texas do seem to be extremely nice. Me and my ole' lady travel around quite a bit, and we seem to run into lots of douchebaggery the farther east and north we go.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear that...

My zipcode has more ****** per capita than anywhere else in the country. Our biggest import and export is the *****. We have ****** working at the post office. Working at the dry cleaners.

Hell, we even have ****** for neighbors. And the more time I spend in West Palm Beach, the bigger the ***** I become. So that's why I need to get the hell out of here!

Vince (*****)
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
I hear that...

My zipcode has more ****** per capita than anywhere else in the country. Our biggest import and export is the *****. We have ****** working at the post office. Working at the dry cleaners.

Hell, we even have ****** for neighbors. And the more time I spend in West Palm Beach, the bigger the ***** I become. So that's why I need to get the hell out of here!

Vince (*****)
Yea thats around where I'm from.
The only thing about Texas people is they make me feel awkward because they're usually nice, helpful and friendly. Coming from a town of ****** I don't know how to act when someone is nice.
Most everything here seems planned out and in working order if that makes sense. Not like florida were they put 10,000 houses on a piece of land THEN worry about how everyones going to get in and out of it through the two lane road that leads to it.
I'm sure it varies from town to town, but I've done the same work in palm beach that I've done in the DFW area and I've run into one ***** in 6 months. It's like the opposite in florida, if you're lucky you'll run into one nice person in 6 months.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

PLANO PLANO PLANO. dude i live in plano and there are so many opportunities there and it's a ****** amazing city, pretty rich so nice smooth roads EVERYWHERE....what part of plano, do you know. Because if it's west plano than do it, east and central plano are okay. Austin..way too crowded, too many hobos, and filled with homos and extreme liberals, but it is like an hour from downtown austin so youd be close to your aunt and not have to deal with austin madness. Round rock is a nice growing city which has RUDY'S BBQ which is ****** amazing haha. But out of those cities i would say plano and im not being bias, seriously
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
PLANO PLANO PLANO. dude i live in plano and there are so many opportunities there and it's a ****** amazing city, pretty rich so nice smooth roads EVERYWHERE....what part of plano, do you know. Because if it's west plano than do it, east and central plano are okay. Austin..way too crowded, too many hobos, and filled with homos and extreme liberals, but it is like an hour from downtown austin so youd be close to your aunt and not have to deal with austin madness. Round rock is a nice growing city which has RUDY'S BBQ which is ****** amazing haha. But out of those cities i would say plano and im not being bias, seriously

i love plano too, its far enough away from dallas to get away from the busy city life, but if you need to get there its a short drive. its all pretty new and there is everything you need right around the corner.

i would get the adress of the office that you want to work and and look it up on google earth or google street view and see how you like the city
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Teching In

I recommend Plano myself, Denton is a college town without much growth and Richardson has alot of mixed back grounds and just seems like everything there is old and run down, Plano has some of the top schools along with allen and Frisco that are boarding towns. Austin is a college town but as alot of growth around it not sure about Round Rock.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, Austin is full. Don't move here.

Williamson County
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
Should I scratch Denton from my list? Is it a bad place?

As far as traffic goes, if you guys ever come to Florida - BEWARE the Belvedere Curve. Anyone that's lived on the East Coast of Fla can vouche for that. Basically it's 4 lanes of I95 condensed into 1 lane for 10 miles. It's the biggest blunder of road engineering in human history.

The traffic part doesn't concern me too bad. We did a stint in Atlanta for 6 months, and the traffic there was terrible.

It's really tough moving to a place that you've never been before. I'm trying to see if they'll pay for us to visit for a week. I've never even been to Texas, but I hear the people are really nice - which is what we need. You can't even hold a door open here without people giving you the stink eye.

its not a bad place just depends on what part your in, there are some shady areas though.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
Austin..way too crowded, too many hobos, and filled with homos and extreme liberals
LMFAO, I couldn't agree more. But, Round Rock is nice, it's like a suburb of Austin, so you don't have to deal with all the dipshit hobo *** 'musicians' and **** that are up there begging for meth money. Just keep in mind, Austin is also a college town, but if you stay out in the suburbs, its nice.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

plano has way to many people i go there all the time for work it is a nice town ill give them that but a lot of people if you want to be close to a track plano ant it denton is has a track right off 35 in sanger small town 10 min past denton

Quick Reply: Possibly Relocating to Texas