AC Delco Floor Jack adapter for holding transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Delco Floor Jack adapter for holding transmissions

Just thought I'd give a quick review:

The Good:
I picked up the adapter from Murray's for 39.99, assembled it, and stuck it on my floor jack. It's a pretty nice unit, and I was banking on it to save me a trip to the hospital after dropping the T-56 on my head.

The Bad:
Floor Jack + Adapter = 15" tall. Add that to the height of the trans, and you need some Gigantic jack stands or ramps to roll the trans out from under the car. So I had to take the adapter back for a refund.

The Ugly:
Aided by a chunk of 2x4 and my trusty craftsman jack, I was able to get the trans dropped in 4 hours. No injuries except to my liver after drinking my Victory Pitcher of Guinness. Now I just need to drum up some buddies to help re-install.

Over all the Delco is a good unit, just check your ground clearance first. Else you'll end up under the car with a trans on a jack and no place to roll it.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Default Re: AC Delco Floor Jack adapter for holding transmissions

Ditto
Old 10-18-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: AC Delco Floor Jack adapter for holding transmissions

I wouldn't even think about removing the trans while on the ground, you need a lift ( check my post out about them ), I think you might find reinstalling the trans a pain in the *** ( if not the your back ). JMO

Al
Old 11-04-2003, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddy and I made a trans mount for a T56.

3 pieces of 1/8" x 1 1/2" steel strap, welded in the shape of an "I"

At each corner of the "I", we welded a small length of 1" square tubing. And then, welded a bolt onto a washer and welded the washer/bolt combo into the other end of the tubing so that 4 studs were sticking straight up.

On a base, we welded 2 short lengths of 1/2" ID tubing, and aligned a 3rd piece between the 2 outer pieces and had a bolt go through all three, allowing it to pivot.

Welded the center piece of tubing onto the "I", looking for a balance.

Welded a small piece of pipe verically, removed the drop in cup on my floor jack and instant trans adaptor.

Have maybe $10 in material (probably less because most of the stuff I used was scrap) and about 3 hours of time.

It does require a trans to be used to fab off of.

It wraps around the trans and bolts to the 3 tabs and sits on the fourth ear, hangs below the trans about 2" and seems to work very well.

improvements ...

Need to figure out a way to keep it attached to the floor jack. As we were jiggling the trans around trying to stab the input shaft, the mount kept coming loose from the jack.

Need some way to lock the pivot
Old 11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just finished a clutch swap on a buddy's 94Z, and I of course used my normal floor jack w/ the standard 6" cup. Every time I do a clutch I tell myself I'm going to weld up a tranny adapter, but I always end up saying "screw it I've done this a million times this way" and then end up cussing because I spill tranny fluid all over the floor One of these days I'll get smart
Old 11-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I just push the jack under the car from the front and stick the pad of the jack on the flat part of the trans near the trans mount. Then I back out the trans a bit, lower the jack all the way. Then I drop the other side of the trans with my hands and roll the jack out. It took me a couple of times to figure this out and it works fine. No special tools and only one person.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

The harbor frieght scissor tranny jack is 49.99 I think and works great for our cars on jack stands. Might be worth picking that up.

Quick Reply: AC Delco Floor Jack adapter for holding transmissions