Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

i want to learn how to weld...need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i want to learn how to weld...need some advice

So I want to learn how to weld, and I don't have anyone to teach me. I want to be able to weld sheet metal and eventually mild steel like to make a tubulare front bumper and a cage. What type of welder should I buy? And is there a book or anyhting that can give me some guidance or something? Or should I just start by trial and error? Thanks for the help
Old 02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trail and error is teh best way. I have to say there has to be one of those books you can buy. Like welding for dummies. NO offense to you. Mild steel and most sheet metal you can get away with a MIG welder. It is the easiest to start off with. Set the speed and heat, and pull the trigger. fill in holes. Sheet metal is harder to weld cause you can wrap it adn screw up the whole panel you are trying to install.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

What brand MIG welder should I buy? There are tons on ebay for super cheap, but I suppose those probably suck, so which one should I buy? I want to stay around $400 or less including a welding mask. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? Thanks for the help
Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at sears they have smaller welders for the do it yourselfers. My GF grandparents have the small one it is red but I dunno what brand it is. Worked well for doing small projects. Then her uncle works for a welding company, so I got a killer deal on a Miller welder. Miller is the way to go in my book. AS long as you don't weld the tip shut on the gun you are ok.
Sears has what you need to get stated, just looked it up for you.
search welder and there is a whole kit with a lincoln welder(good) adn all the gear to get you started. 299.99
Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

You're asking for advice so here's mine: Go and sign up for a welding class at your local community college. It's their metal and machines that you'll be using, you only need to invest the time. I took 3 welding classes before buying anything. Also, unless you plan on fabbing a lot, it's not worth the investment of a welder and the materials for a few small projects. you can pay someone for much less. A decent used MIG is at least $500.

--JMarsa
Old 02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

i do want want to lean to weld pretty good, because i really would love to start fabricating a lot of my own things. and its really just something i would like ot learn to do. but i will look into what the community college here offers. i didnt know that any of them offered welding classes. thanks for the heads up
Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

what do you guys think about the lincoln 180HD? after reading about a lot fo the welders, this is the one i am leaning towards. found them for like $550 shipped. any insight?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

You can't really go wrong with Red or Blue, it's the other colors to watch out for. The biggest things to consider are you will need supplies and possibly repair at some point, so a local supplier will be needed, at least for gas.

Spec the machine for the electrical capabilities you have where you will be welding (110 vs. 220 and amp draw) and the material you will be welding. Also keep in mind the duty cycle of the machine comes in to play.

My local college has a full metal shop attached to the welding shop and you have full access to everything. It was definitely worth $300 a semester. Plus aren't they free in FL?

--JMarsa
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

no they arent free. wish they were. thanks for the insight on the amp draw. that is very important as ill be using this at home mostly
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Teching In

i own a lincoln myself and ive worked with alot of miller and in my opinion get the lincoln millers jam up way to much and they seem to run a bit cold
Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Teching In

and if u plan on welding alot of sheet metal try to find a mig that goes down to atleast 15 or 16 amps it makes it so much easier
Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

ok thank. im looking now for one. do you have any particular lincoln in mind that would be up my alley?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That welder might be a little small for a rollcage or front bumper INHO. You can start on a mig learning yourself with scrap metal. Im sure there are books that teach you how, and they would be very helpful to get started. Once you get simi comfortable with the process start trying to destroy your welds. Then you will know if it is actually a good weld or not.

If you do get a welder, start taking pictures of your work and post them on here. I will help you as much as possible without being there.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

awesome thanks man
Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

as stated before, if you can get into a local com college is definetly your best bet. not only will you get good advice, but you cant beat the price for all the rods, base metal, different welders, etc that you will have access to. i not only came away with the know how but the course manuel is great to have to refer to.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to vocational college to learn to weld also. Ended up with an associates degree. I would check what the schools focus is though, because some of them are mostly pipe welding based. It will teach you to weld, but not really anything specific about welding parts for cars.

You wont be a good welder by any means when you leave school, but you will have alot of knowledge and knowhow. It takes many years of practice to become what would be called a good welder.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Teching In

hey man check out the hobart welders at a place like tractor supply or somethin. I believe they are made by miller and use alot of the same feature just at a lower price point, iirc they sell a package called the handler or somethin like that. It includes the welder and wire and a gas regulator for like $400 or close to it.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

I don't want to be a welder for a living. I already work in the operating room in a hospital, and don't really have extra time for school. But I just want to do some recreational (for my own car) welding. So they don't need to be pretty welds. But hopefully pretty strong...lol don't want to die it I flip my car.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you decide just make sure you plan ahead. If you think you are going to weld something larger than sheet metal, then go for a larger unit. See if you just buy a 110v and want to add some tubing or anything bigger, you will not have enough amperage to penetrate thru the metal. This will make a weak weld.
As for what brand? Like someone said on here earlier, Red or Blue is the way to go. I personally own blue, but that's my preference. If you are looking for a MIG welder, that is your best bet for starting out. Practice practice practice is your friend. Weld anything and everything you can get your hands on.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

i went ahead and gt a 220v 180 amp Lincoln.

its the Lincoln 180 HD MIG Package, and i bought a auto darkening helmet too. It should be here in a week or so, so ill post some pics of my starter welds...lol Im hoping the 180 amp is going to be enough for a cage. Lincoln advertises it to be enough for 1/4" mild steel so we will see. but at least inknow it will be fine for all the sheet metal

Quick Reply: i want to learn how to weld...need some advice