Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What tool set?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What tool set?

I have rounded up odds and end tools that my dad has had over the years and added stuff as needed to do work. My dad always takes tools out and they disappear so I figured its time to start on my own tool set. I waste a lot of time with broken sockets/wrenches and missing stuff.

A few friends have this:
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...ame=Tools+Sets

Is there anything that is a better value than this for starting out?

I already have a very good impact gun and impact deep well sockets from craftsman, some specialty tools, and a general setup of tools so I think this would work well.

I would like to get that along with a set of metric gear wrenches and an air ratchet.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Regular

Nothing wrong with the set and you might checkout what is on sale this month since they are having a month long Craftsman club sale until the end of June.I've got tools from them that are over 30 yrs old and still work great and are still replaceable under lifetime warrenty.A good set of tools will last over a lifetime so don't get suckered in on cheap ones.Glad I am not just starting out collecting but those are ok and you will add more over the yrs when you find another tool you just can't live without.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is what I starte out with a long time ago. Then as those broke or the wore out I upgraded to the Snap-On parts and so on.

Get you the 5 drawer roll around so you can lock the tools up, so they do not disappear
Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar when I started out. It didn't come with the case. I have my own 4-5" tool chest (two-piece) and have everything sectioned out real nice. Since I've gotten that set, I've just filled in where the "generic" craftsman set left out.

Here is a joke I always tell people I know. "Every man has this tool in their toolchest." Get it, and you'll be glad you did when the day comes. It's a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Kix
Staging Lane

Craftsmen all the way.... unless you happen to have a snap-on truck that drives by your house every day.... you can't beat the Sears customer service!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Definitely a good tool kit to start out with.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't discount brands other than Snap-On and Craftsman. I very seldom use impacts, so I have HF cheap ones. I prefer S-K sockets & ratchets over the Craftsman ones, so that's what I have there. The roto-head (pivots at the side of the head of the) ratchets are nice; I have some SK, Snap-On and even a Great Neck I think.

When you get into pullers, OTC is a good option and not outrageous.

Don't brand shop, do check stuff out in person so that you're happy with how it handles, how it handles (when greasy) and how the ratchet mechanisms operate for you. There is a difference in crows feet from Snap-On vs. cheap ones but I don't like the soft handle Snap-On ratchet mechanisms, for example.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

organization is key have a place for every socket and every wrench. when i work i try to put a socket back before i get another one. the craftsman socket trays are a must!

this is the way i look at tools

craftsman= hobbyist

snap-on,mac,mac tools= every day mechanic...

i am a hobbyist and a craftsman socket is an impact socket because it has a lifetime warranty!

my two cents!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't remember which tool set I started out with, I think maybe the 241 piece set, only it didnt come with a hammer like it does now. Tool sets don't have to be accumulated in a week. I've been building on mine for about 10 years. Before I could even drive I knew that I needed to have my own tools, so I started asking for tools for birthday/Christmas, until I had a good foundation. If you look in my tool box now, you'll find more odds and ends tools that I had to go out and buy for "one time" jobs, like a crank puller, or a 24mm 6pt socket... or even better, the ones you make yourself!

I really like the look of the 348 piece set. The full polish ratchets are sweet, and line wrenches are a nice addition. There's a $150 discount on it in the craftsman club this month... i think. $349 if my memory serves me correctly.

Ratchet wrenches are worth their weight in gold. I've been meaning to get some good ones, but I always skip over my craftsman wrenches for the Ampro (or whatever) ratchet wrenches.

The only tool box I would buy is the Harbor Freight 90320, look it up. Its a SnapOn. HF actually purchased the plans of a discontinued box from SnapOn and built it. Can't go wrong on a former $4000 tool box for $349 (with a coupon).

Quick Reply: What tool set?