Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Just got a new Welder

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a new Welder

Just bought this off Craigs List

Here is alink to the miller website where you can look at videos of how it works and what comes with it. http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...passport_plus/

Highly portable package for welders who travel for their jobs... up ladders, down holes, through small openings... this is the breakthrough in MIG welding you've been waiting for. The suitcase-style, 45lb, all-in-one package carries an 8 inch spool of wire and a gas bottle! (55lbs with a full gas bottle and wire spool.)

Plugs in anywhere - With Miller's exclusive Multi-Voltage Plug (MVP™) that allows you to plug into either 115 or 230 V power. Just choose the plug that fits your receptacle and attach it to the power cord - no tools required!

Miller's exclusive Auto-Line Technology provides state-of-the-art flexibility, automatically connecting to 115 or 230 VAC, single-phase power without removing the cover to re-link the power source.

Does the job - The Passport has the power to weld mild and stainless steel up to 3/8". And its high-quality arc characteristics feature positive arc starts without popping and spatter, high-stability low-spatter CO2 welding, and outstanding mixed gas. Arc Control allows you to select between a crisp arc suited for mild steel or a softer arc suited for stainless steel and some mild steel applications.

No need for large gas cylinder - Passport's self-contained gas cylinder holds 12 oz of CO2 to keep you welding for 25 minutes or 25 ft of welding on 3/16" thick material with .030 in mild steel wire. A dual-gas supply switch allows you to select between the internal CO2 gas supply or the bulk supply when you're in the shop or need mixed gases. (Never been used)

Takes a beating - The impact resistant case provides strength and durability, potecting the internal components and welding wire. The outside handy side storage pouch keeps work cables, clamps, M-10 gun, MVP adapters and power cables in one handy, easy-to-reach place.

Fan-On-Demand™
Operates only when needed reducing noise, power consumption, and the amount of airborne contaminants pulled through the machine.

Wind Tunnel Technology™
Internal air flow that protects electrical components and PC boards from dirt, dust, debris... greatly improving reliability.

LVC™ Line Voltage Compensation
Keeps output of the power source constant regardless of fluctuation in input power ± 10%.

Built-in Contactor
For your safety, our built-in contactor makes wire electrically "cold" when not welding

Thermal Overload Protection
Internal components are protected from damage by thermal overload protection which automatically shuts down the unit if duty cycle is exceeded or air flow and cooling are restricted.

welds fantastic, solid .035 or flux cored. 110 or 220

im very suprised how well this thing welds, ive never used anything less than 440v 3-phase. the occaisonal Miller 250 too but thats still a lot higher up than this thing.

runs off paintball gun style co2 which can be found at Lowes and Wal-Mart. at wal-mart a 20 oz tank is 27.99 24/7/364
Lowes is like 36 dollars but you get a bottle exchange when you bring it back

runs just fine off the heavy duty 110v in the garage of my townhouse, also useing a heavy duty 25' extension cord. quiet, no fan till u start using it, even with the fan on its quiet. small, they say 55 lbs but im callin it at least 70. Runs like any other Miller MiG ive ever used. dunno about worth the 2 grand it costs brand new but i paid 950 bucks and its worth every penny

havent tried 75/25 yet but how it welds i see no reason too. i do iron work on the side with a friend and if i need a bigger bottle then ill try 75/25 or Tri-mix, depending.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Awesome welder!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same machine. I love it. I did all my gates with it and it ran fine off a 100' extension cord on 110v.

Ryph
Old 08-28-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ 100ft!?!?!? lol i dont think id have even tried that haha good to know itall work though.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

It's a heavy gauge cord. I figured it would trip the breaker if the circuit was getting too hot. No issues though. I run a bottle of c-25 in the garage. It runs great on either. You got a great deal. I just need that kind of deal on a nice plasma...

Ryph
Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

right!?!? lol im workin on a oxy/acetalyne torch now. how much better does it run on c25 than co2? the spatter is a lot less with co2 than i thought it would be but i plan on getting like a 122 of c25.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't notice much of a difference at all. It runs great on both.

Ryph
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

both gases are about the same

Quick Reply: Just got a new Welder