Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Drill spinning but not bit...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drill spinning but not bit...

i'm new to everything tool so please excuse me...

i'm using a dewalt drill with a set of black&decker bits...
i'm trying to install new motor and trans mounts...
ones of the steps required is to drill out the rivets in the stock motor mounts...
i got all the way through one and half way trhough another and the bit locks up but the drill kept going, and since it seems i can't get the drill to grip the bit anymore (i can hold it with my hand)
why does this happen if the bits are made to go through metal? i assume it's something with the drill but i can't see it losing grip like that, it's a drill, i would think it'd be meant for this kind of thing...
should i get different bits? i tried with a friend's set of craftsman bits, same thing happened after only a few seconds of heavy drilling.... it seemed though that it may have been heating up (?) because if we waited a bit and tried again, the drill's grip returned somewhat...
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The chuck is slipping, is it a keyed chuck or hand chuck? That sucks, tighten the hell out of it, and proceed.

-SS
Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hand... can they, go bad, or stop holding, or get stripped down?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The hand chucks never do hold well IMO, even some of the keyed type can slip under hard/heavy use. Try shooting some lube like WD-40, or 3n1 on your bit before and while drilling into heavy steel. Good luck man, next drill purchase look for a keyed chuck if you gonna do a lot of drilling steel.

-SS
Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alright, thanks, i figured the lube would hinder its cutting power, but i'll definitely try
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...on the drilling end of the bit only though, gl.

-SS
Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Does your drill have a clutch on it? Most Dewalt cordless drills do. Usually it is a numbered collar that you turn to your desired setting. There is usually a drill bit symbol as well. Select the drill bit symbol and it should defeat the clutch action.

The clutch is for driving drywall screws etc. where you don't want to drive the screw too deep.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Try grinding three flat spots on the shank of the drill bit. This will give the chuck something to grip and shouldn't spin.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I'm curious, as a dewalt tool user/owner which drill you are using..is it a plastic chuck or steel chuck? ive never had an issue with the steel chucks on the 18v battery drills..but you get one with a plastic chuck from home depot and its a real piece of garbage.

I would suggest using a Milwaukee 1/2 electric drill, which is pretty heavy duty and will last a long time. As always when drilling, wear your safety goggles and use plenty of butter cutter or wd or some sort of lube to keep the bit cool.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would guess that your bit is dulled at this point also. I couldn't say that it's the "correct" one to use, but cobalt bits go through steel a lot better than any B & D bits commonly available at the hardware store.

A chuck isn't hard to replace if the drill is worth it. What voltage is it and if you're able to hold the chuck w/ the trigger pulled, consider a new battery; again if the drill is worth it.

(FWIW I stick to a corded key-chuck milwaukee in the garage because I no longer do work that requires a cordless)

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

dewalt.....

Quick Reply: Drill spinning but not bit...