Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Tools & Fabrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
TECH Addict
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 56
Question Best GLUE for automotive plastics?

Seems like every time I take some plastic part off of my car some little tab breaks off , that being said what is some SUPER glue for plastics, not the walmart super glue, some killer strong glue for automotive type plastics?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
jmd
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Don't quote me, but I think when a friend fixed some interior pieces, he used Gorilla that you see at HD all the time. I have a console I should try it out on.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: -1

gorilla glue expands and even though it gets hard it also gets brittle and snaps just like plastic. I prefer any type of 2 part epoxy that you mix together or jb weld works well also...
nauticalstar2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
sawzall wielding director
Garage is empty, add now

My preference is 2 part epoxy. You can also reinforce the crack with a piece of fiberglass cloth. You can also use fiberglass cloth with super glue, which is a lot quicker, but more prone to cracking. The fiberglass cloth and epoxy has some give to it whereas the fiberglass cloth and superglue tends to crack instead of flex.
www.fquick.com/G-Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder
"possible" is a relative term around here... anything is possible. It's "possible" to put a whole K3500 4x4 dually truck rolling chassis under a brand new Mini body. Is it reasonable? No. Does it make sense? No. Is it possible? Yes.
G-Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

I have had great experience with Plastix, which is basically a 2 part epoxy. I have heard of people using fiberglass clothe with great success, however I have never tried it.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

When i worked at home depot a few years ago i did a couple demo's of 2part epoxy's. There a few different brands that HD has, but they will hold just about anything together

06 GP GXP. Pearl White, stock (for now)
lspuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Body View Post
My preference is 2 part epoxy. You can also reinforce the crack with a piece of fiberglass cloth. You can also use fiberglass cloth with super glue, which is a lot quicker, but more prone to cracking. The fiberglass cloth and epoxy has some give to it whereas the fiberglass cloth and superglue tends to crack instead of flex.
I agree.....

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
On The Tree
2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 15

i have a plastic welder at work. its amazing. kinda like a soldering iron, use it on the back side and it melts the plastic back into 1 peice
doublea87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

On interior parts Hot Glue works great, If you make a backing plate from scrap, and use the Industrial Strength glue, not the normal craft stuff. The heat melts the plastic and then glues it together. I've made many tabs and such and they hold better than new.
terryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

I used premium grade construction adhesive to glue parts to my stock plastic intake manifold. The parts will not come off. It is urethane based, look for that on the label. It's a completely different formulation from Liquid Nails. It cost twice as much as Liquid Nails, about $4 instead of $2.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 03-14-2010 at 09:07 PM..
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

i vote replace the plastic piece most of them are relatively inexpensive

i know its not what you asked its just my preference now cuz im tired of gluing my fingers to everything im using super glue on
Old 03-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Go to a hobby shop, the r/c airplane guys use it alot (i had one when i was a kid).

It's good plus you can buy a spray called accelerator, not sure the exact name, it basically makes it dry even quicker and I think makes it stronger too. You can hear it cracking and tightening up when you spray it, pretty crazy stuff.

The one I used had a blue or purple top, but they make different ones for different stuff. Like the one guy said it makes it warm and helps melt it and yeah dont get it on ur hands. It feels like second skin and will stay on your fingers for days.
Notmyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 11

Depending on what you are trying to do, weatherstrip
adhesive (basically black contact cement) may do the
job; I like it for things like speaker grilles because it
kills the buzzing, and it stays flexible.

If you can find 3M marine adhesive, that stuff won't
let go for anything but a knife. I've seen it in black,
though white is easier to find (tan, you're on your
own - though "Liquid Nails" (construction adhesive)
is close.

2002 SS convertible

SLP Blackwing lid, 85mm MAF, 85mm Professional Products intake & TB, SLP CME, JBAs/Mufflex tubes . SLP Y, McCord cutout, Fuddle 3500/2.0, GM truck pan, '98 flexplate, 3.42s, T-2R, MAC cover, welded tubes, Hotchkiss PHR, springs; BMR bolt-in LCA brackets, K-member; UMI TA, boxed stock 1LE LCAs, SLP Bilstein / Gabriel air shocks (F/R); Strano 35/22 sway bars, 224/224 116 cam, LT1 rad, HPTuners 12.6@112MPH
jimmyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
TECH Addict
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 56
Thumbs up

Well after much reading and since it was under $5 I tried loctite's plastic bonder, its a 2 part kit and so far it seams to work good. After I did the repairs, I went back and used my glue gun to "reinforce" the glue joints, worked for me, YMMV
Click the image to open in full size.
Product specs:
LoctiteŽ All Plastics is an advanced plastic bonding system that repairs any plastic surfaces guaranteed
LoctiteŽ All Plastics works on all hard and soft plastics. It even bonds hard-to-bond polyethylene and polyproplyne materials
All Plastics also bonds plastic to other materials such as metal, wood, paper, and ceramics
All Plastics is easy to use. Simply apply the Activator using the felt-tip applicator, wait 1 minute, and apply the Glue!
LoctiteŽ All Plastics is an advanced adhesive system for super strong rapid bonding. Works on all-plastics/all-materials including hard to bond polyethylene and polypropylene. No mixing required. Simply prime and glue.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #15
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

Cool...my T/A rear bumper had cracked. I ll try on superglue with cloth..
Pony Exp.305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #16
Garage is empty, add now

I recently had to put a piece of plastic back on my bumper together after it broke. I would always use gorilla glue or crazy glue religiously without thinking about other alternatives. I just figured that is what you suppose to use.

After reading this post I am going to try epoxy. I been reading other places and that type of glue is also recommended.
http://deviceraters.com/top-3-glue-for-plastic/

I going to try buy epoxy and see how it holds up, if not I'll just stick to what I been using before.
TurboIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
adhesive, applications, automobile, automotive, car, fiberglass, glue, gluing, grade, hard, hot, industrial, interior, plastic, plastics, weilding