Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help

Alright so I'm really fed up with using the on base Hobby Shop to do all my work on the car. I have basically no real tools just hand me downs and what nots. I did get a new Craftsman Jack, Jack Stands and a creeper for my Birthday. Other than that I have no real tools.

Looking to start off with a nice set. Looking to spend $300ish. Should I buy Metric or standard? Also I'd like full sets of Screwdrivers... for example I found a Craftsman 42 Piece Screw Driver Set. Looking to get a nice Craftsman Roller Tool Box next year sometime. I didn't think it made sense to buy a $1,000 tool box when I have no tools to put in it. As you can tell I'm a Craftsman fan.. fire away with you opinions/advice. Thanks.

-Nick
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

welp craftsmans quality has went to ****. so you can throw that out the window. i prefer Kobalt over craftsman... and stanley-proto over kobalt.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at Harbor Freight for a good inexpensive box

If you're just tinkering on the weekends, craftsman is fine - check out their sales and you should be able to find a decent socket kit for around $200 thatll have both metric and standard. Plus, you can't beat their return policy when you break a tool in a Sunday afternoon
Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

for a socket set I would go with craftsmen..their chrome sockets are pretty good and you can get a set for a pretty good deal if you get the right sale. You can cover all your 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in sockets in one shot. you can replace the ratchets with whatever you want or just keep breaking and getting replacement craftsmen ones. Some sets also have combo wrenches which are okay. For extensions i would just go to harbor freight and get some impact extensions, dirt cheap and hold up well.

I don't mind craftsmen screwdrivers as well, as long as you use them like your supposed to they are fine. I use them over my snap on drivers actually.

Go to harbor freight when your ready for a box...you have to spend a ton of money at sears to get something quality...you can catch that 13 drawer bottom at the freight for well under 400 on sale with a coupon..it kicks *** for what it is.

I'd hit harbor freight also for a lot of the random stuff like hammers, certain pry bars, trim tools, even pliers. buy quality vice grips. buy quality drill bits and taps if your doing that stuff.

just my .02
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
As you can tell I'm a Craftsman fan.. fire away with you opinions/advice. Thanks.

-Nick
Nick, for the average non-professional, Craftsman tools are an excellent choice. I bought my first Craftsman entry-level tool set in 1970, still use the ratchet and most of the sockets now. Over the years I have accumulated 4 Craftsman roll around cabinets and 2 of those have 3 drawer & 10 drawer chests on top. For a good deal on these tools, sign up for the 'Craftsman Club' membership, I did mine in-store a long time ago but you can do it online now. It's free and you will get special sales flyers in the mail with member’s only sale prices, which are a lot cheaper than the Sunday newspaper sale ads. If you are not in a hurry, you can find great deals on ratchet and socket sets, toolboxes, etc. Here are a couple of examples of sockets sets I got for $9.95 each on sale. I've also included a couple of pics of toolbox organizers I use.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help-craftsman-socket-set.jpg   Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help-craftsman-socket-sets.jpg   Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help-tools-hansen-socket-tray.jpg   Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help-tools-wrench-organizer-tray.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Just make sure you don't use chrome sockets on anything that require a lot of tq.

Last edited by Mr.Nguyen; 12-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Suggestions:

Read the cheesy section at the front of the Haynes repair manuals - basically get what you need and if it breaks, then worry about going w/ a higher $ version.

Don't be ignorant by thinking that the world consists of SnapOn and Craftsman only (I hate the feel of Craftsman wrenches, ratchets and sockets and I hate high prices...) SK due to buyouts seems to be going downhill but they have a lot of nice tools; my main sockets & ratchets are SK. Mac is great stuff in a lot of instances. When you get into needing pullers, OTC are great. But if you're pretty casual, Harbor Freight stuff is better than it was 10 years ago and is worth a look.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

craftsman sockets are ok, but their ratchets are ****, whether it's the professional or standard, they suck.. When I started my first set, I bought craftsman and after breaking the 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets 4 times in a month I decided I needed a better ratchet. I bought a snap on 3/8", 1/4", and 1/2" ratchet and still use them today, never been repaird, replaced, or swapped. I now have an entire snap on set/box but fwiw, I would buy either snap on or mac, matco ratchet to replace the craftsman. While some will say oh, just go to sears and get a replacement....time is money, and when your constantly going to sears, you arent making money....and you are wasting time, even if it's your own...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing I can offer is be patient and give it time. I started buying tools In 2000... And have built a nice collection...but its come with a huge price tag almost 80 bucks a week since 2000... not to mention MAC Matco and the other countless fab and specialty tools I have... If you dont have to use these to make a living you can go about it two ways.First is buy higher end stuff as you can afford and in the long run have top notch stuff or build faster and trade off some quality for price and speed...I think most hardware store brands are good for home users if they arent abused... dont hook a chrome socket to a 1/2 drive impact... dont use a 3/8 ratchet when you should use a 1/2.... Use the box end to break loose a tight bolt I think that common sense and propper use is to blame more times than crappy tools...However even the best stuff fails.... go on any tool truck and you'll see a box of it most likley... I dont look at the fact that it broke.. I look to see how the replacement is handled.If you listen to people on here or anywhere they will bash highend tools for whatever reason..but those who do so are ignorant I hate to see someone putting parts on an airliner with a HF torque wrench

Last edited by CTSmechanic; 12-14-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

I disagree on the harbor freight pliers. We buy a lot of them for our service truck and they are Knuckle busters, however in our truck they get lost or rusted with calcium cloride. I dont know if craftsman pliers are still made in the states but that is what I use the most of. I know for sure Mac and Matco pliers are imported these days. Sears used to sell Knipex pliers and they are about the best.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

I just started my collection about 2 months ago. I gave away, lost, or let some one borrow all of my old craftsman. So i bought all new tools I can be proud of.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't need standard size when working on an LS1.

I would go with a good set of 3/8" drive metric chrome sockets. And a really good set of metric combination wrenches up to 19mm.

The high quality hand tools have narrow shoulders so you can into tight places. For these itmes, I would shell out for Snap On or Mac.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Blue point is a good option if you want to save some cash.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a set of 32 husky wrenches from home depot for 20 bucks. They are black chrome. Pretty nice quality. I have plenty of wrenches and sockets, just thought I'd let you know about that deal. Most of my ratchets, wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers are craftsman. The pliers are stanley. I bought some cheap impact sockets from harbor freight and they've worked great.

I've broken a few of the new craftsman ratchets and sockets, that's about it. They've been replaced with no questions asked.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

A lot of the cheap stuff will do the job. I own at the moment approximately $20k in tools from snap on and Matco great tools but I use them at work.now at home I have harborfright stuff and it usually works good enough.one thing I can say though invest in a quality ratchet. My snap on and Matco ratchets take far more abuse than there intended for and no problems.another thing I'd suggest is buy a 10-12 inch pair of nepex channel locks they are very handy a
and you would actually be surprised how much you will use them. I'd say those two items would be $300 well spent. I can't even guess how many cheap ratchets I have broken
Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

yea nothing makes a job 200 times harder than it should be like a cheapo ratchet. Good ratchets are unfortunately a lot of money but they are worth they're weight in gold.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

let me start by saying i was on the matco truck and they had a snap on rachet (old style not dual 80) dissembled and a duralast (autozone) one next to it. same inside damb near same outside $30 as apposed to $80. both lifetime warranted. def something to consider. i wrote off craftsman when a brand new 14mm wrench boke and i broke my hand threw whole set away and spent 600 on snap on havent broke on yet 7 years later

Last edited by j_tizzle_84; 12-21-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gear wrench wrenches
Long combination wrenches. I have Mac and they are perfect
Mac 1/4 and 3/8 socket sets. Over 10 years of use never a issue.
Snap on 9 piece screw driver set. 10 years no issues
Crapsman 1/2 stuff
Crapsman line wrenches
Vice grip brand
Channel locks.
Decent size drill index
Harbor freight 8" dial caliper, dial indicator and stand

I have a decent collection of odds and end stuff that is need for valve spring jobs, ring comp, leak down and comp tester

This is a good list of stuff to look for.

I spent the $ once on the snap on and mac stuff and have never had issues with them.

Tim
Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out my thread about Sunex tools in this section.

And yes, Craftsman has went to complete ****. I wouldn't buy anything newer than 3 yrs old from that company. Their old stuff was unbreakable, their new stuff is garbage probably built by some 9 yr old kid in Brazil.

Also, I wouldn't even bother buying anything chrome if you're purchasing new. Get yourself all impact socket sets, and maybe a thin wall 3/8 drive set for tight places. Most newly manufactured chrome sockets can't handle any TQ.

You can also check out the pawn shops.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

I bought a rachet from autozone (Great Neck) and almost broke my hand removing spark plugs. I will never buy another rachet from them. I have a mixture of Craftsman, Harbor Freight, and Stanly.

I also have plenty garbage tools that are made in twaiwn.(gifts and crap from work) I think this is my most important set of tools. Because when ever my friends or family want to borrow tools, thats where they pick from.LOL

Quick Reply: Starting Tool Collection..Need Your Help