Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Good starting mechanics tool set?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good starting mechanics tool set?

Im 19, i tend to do my own minor car work, but minor has a different meaning every time.
I am currently acquiring basic stuff like a floor jack+stands, hand tools, but come black friday i was hoping on picking up a mechanics tool set.
Does anybody have a recommendation? Im hoping to start my own project sometime like dropping a SBC into something small and lightweight.
I prefer craftsman.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a nice set especially if you prefer craftsman and your just starting out. You dont even need a tool box. I started out with something similar and it has really been mostly all ive needed in the way of sockets and ratchets and such. FWIW I installed everything in my sig and more with a similar set.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...kType=G4#specs
Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The craftsman sets go on sale all the time. Wait for a good sale and grab one. I use mine all the time. It's not gonna be snap-on quality but its pretty good for basic stuff.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silversrtman
This is a nice set especially if you prefer craftsman and your just starting out. You dont even need a tool box. I started out with something similar and it has really been mostly all ive needed in the way of sockets and ratchets and such. FWIW I installed everything in my sig and more with a similar set.

I got this set for $140 before black friday

It goes on sale all the time

Last edited by 94'BLKBRD; 10-14-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

thats one of the sets i was looking at, if i see it for $140 ill defiantly snag it..which is why i was trying to wait till black friday
Old 10-12-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by silversrtman
This is a nice set especially if you prefer craftsman and your just starting out. You dont even need a tool box. I started out with something similar and it has really been mostly all ive needed in the motorfiend bulbs of sockets and ratchets and such. FWIW I installed everything in my sig and more with a similar set.

That's kinda expensive. I started out by just buying the supplies I needed, then I branched off into buying something more expensive.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
thats one of the sets i was looking at, if i see it for $140 ill defiantly snag it..which is why i was trying to wait till black friday
For that kit, definately wait for black friday or Father's Day. I got it for 140 this past Father's day.

If you like Craftsman, join the Craftsman Club. Club sales go on monthly - one starts this Friday.

Check out Garagejournal.com for deals and reviews on tools.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

before even opening this thread I was going to post the exact same set, that's what I started with and have added on to

then go to lowes/home depot/sears and find a deal on a screw driver and pliers set, vice grips, and then after you get that go to harbor freight (YES I SAID IT) and get both a 3/8 and 1/2 breaker bar (I paid $7 for 1/2" and $10 for 3/8), swivels ($7), 3/8" to 1/4", 1/4" to 3/8", 3/8" to 1/2", and 1/2" to 3/8" adapters (they all come in a set for like $3) and some cheap air tools if you have a compressor and you're set to do about 90% of jobs

ratchet wrenches are REALLY nice to have but not entirely necessary, that's my next purchase
Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

another vote for that same set. ive had the previous style set for 8 years now. Ive done engine replacements with it before. very good beginner set.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the big craftman mechanic set that was 400 dollars 300 on sale.

it was a 312 piece kit I think and came with every ratchet and socket you ever need.

also came with allen and hex wrenches wich are a must on a f body. that and a floor and jack stand kit and I havent had the need for much else. best part is while using the 3/8 ratchet locked up, I simply took it back to sears and the lady at the counter handed me a brand new one within a minute, best part about craftsman is lifetime warrenty just bring in the broken tool and exchange it for a new one, only way you ever have to buy it twice is if you lose it.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

For hand tools I would go with harbor freight. Save yourself from the craftsman mark up. It is not made like it was years ago. They both have lifetime warranties, and both can be swapped out in store. (assuming harbor freight is near you) Also check out northern tool.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97LT1
For hand tools I would go with harbor freight. Save yourself from the craftsman mark up. It is not made like it was years ago. They both have lifetime warranties, and both can be swapped out in store. (assuming harbor freight is near you) Also check out northern tool.
yeah i love harbor freight...great for picking up the random tools youll only use a few times but theyre cheap so its not a big deal
oh hey theyre having a mechanics tool set event today through the 17th..
eh?
http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-45951.html
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
I got this set for $140 before black friday

It goes on sale all the time

Dropped to $165

http://dealnews.com/Craftsman-263-Pi...ng/509542.html
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have the 400$ craftsman set, also got it for $300 on black friday. I definately would recommend any of the craftsman set, the one linked up there is solid, I paid for the extra little tools because I needed them at the time, but most people don't. I completely built my first car with that set, gonna be doing an engine swap around christmas with it to.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also on sale right now is the 309 piece set on the Sears website, usually $400, now $200. It throws in some extra sockets compared to the set everyone above has mentioned, and all the wrenches are ratcheting. I just ordered it despite already having that set above...too good of a deal to pass up.

Other good but budget items I have: complete sets of standard and deep well impact sockets from Northern Tool, Performance Tool 7 pc set of impact ready swivels and adapters (Summit Racing), a set of standard and metric wrenches from Northern tool that go up to 1&3/8" and 32mm, Titan ratcheting wrenches (Summit and Northern Tool carry them), AirCat impact and air ratchet (Northern Tool), and the Craftsman MicroTorq torque wrenches are decent for most jobs and affordable (just use the locking ring as intended). You can also score SnapOn, Matco, S-K etc torque wrenches off craigslist for decent $...just make sure they've been calibrated if you buy used. Also, used Craftsman 6HP 30 gal compressors go all day on craigslist for $150-$250, and are plenty for most home shops.

Spend a little extra money and get stuff thats good for life...take care of them and you'll never have to replace them.

Damn I love tools...can't get enough of them

Quick Reply: Good starting mechanics tool set?