Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Lift Dilemma.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lift Dilemma.....

I'm thinking I want to put a lift in my shop. I am getting too old (I'll be 34 this year) to be crawling around on the floor swapping trannies.

Now, here's my problem. My shop (picture) has a 12' ceiling - which is really only about 140" at the apex. This means that most 2-post lifts (with heights of 144" or so) won't fit.

There are the "no overhead bar" 2-post lifts available with a crossbar that goes across the floor. But these are tough to use a tranny jack with.

Plus, I do not know the integrity of the slab in my shop. I'm assuming it's just standard garage floor grade concrete, probably a 4" slab. It was built by the previous owner, who worked on his bass boat in it.

I don't want a 4-post lift, because you can't do engine drops or suspension work with them.

If I have to deal with a low-rise lift with a floor beam, I'll do that - but I'd prefer a "shorter" regular lift with overhead bar - if a company will make me one... but what do I do about checking the concrete? Or would it just be safest to have some of the concrete hammered out and some big piers poured - and I don't even know how to ask for that.

Thanks for any insight...

Andrew
Old 02-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cut two holes in the ceiling and position the
pillars so you miss the joists? Maybe put some
good 1/2" steel "spreader plates" that are 6"
oversized under the pillar bases, just for luck?
And use some damn good anchors, maybe the
ones that epoxy in. A compression anchor might
just aggravate the slab.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... i'll have to ask my dad about his (not sure on specs) ... but it's a rotary one... he installed it about 12 years ago...

http://www.horist.com/images/headcam...s/IMG_2091.htm

He basically just cut a hole in the garage ceiling, removed the joists that were in the way, then reinforced the ones on the side of the hole...

Then sank the two posts in.. has overhead bar and will lift to ~6.5-7ft

I don't think the side poles are 144" though... Im thinking they're more like 10ft... but could be mistaken ...

Looking at Rotary's brochure:
http://www.rotarylift.com/library/po...y_Two-Post.pdf

they have one lift that's just under 10ft total height....
Old 02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd check these guys out:

http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/products.php

My dad has had a mowhawk lift for about 15 years now and it only has an overhead hydraulic line. The line probably could even be put under a cover on the floor. Our 2 post mowhawk is better than our 4 post too.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an Eagle MX9F with dual posts, floor brace, and total overall height is around 9ft. I am very happy with it. The floor brace doesnt get in the way to often because usually the front of the car overhangs enought that the trans jack doesnt hit it. Better safe that sorry on the concrete. I drilled a couple holes and found that my slab was only 3-4 inches thick. We cut out a 12x6 ft section of concrete from my garage floor, drilled in the side of the remaining slab and installed rebar, and then poured 10 inches of 5000psi concrete. $2450 for the lift delivered and $300 for me and my neighbor to do the concrete work. BEST money I ever spent.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

"I don't want a 4-post lift, because you can't do engine drops or suspension work with them"

I dont know about an engine drop, but suspension work is easier on a 4 post IMHO.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I was originally looking at the Eagles. The MX9F was my leading candidate, but I am really trying to avoid the floor plate. But that's great to hear about the concrete. I had no idea how much it'd cost. I emailed Eagle yesterday - they do have a 135" tall asymmetric lift with no floor plate - and that *might* clear. But it's custom, and costs a little more than their 144" lift.

I looked at the Mohawks yesterday. Bling-bling - I like 'em a lot - but probably out of my price range. Based on what I found, they're about twice the price of the others. Built stout, but I won't be using it daily, just weekend warrior type stuff.

A buddy who owns a local shop has a couple of Rotary lifts. I went and looked at them yesterday. Those look like you can adjust the top bar height to set it to clear a lower roofline. Depending on how much those cost, they may do the trick.

As for suspension work, well, I was thinking of stuff like rotating tires, brakes, rear end tomfoolery, etc. Yeah, a 4-post has its place, but I'll be doing stuff like exhaust, tranny swaps, fuel line plumbing, and drop-the-cradle engine swaps. Not just on my '98, but on my '94 and '79 as well.

-Andrew
Old 02-27-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by horist
hmmm... i'll have to ask my dad about his (not sure on specs) ... but it's a rotary one... he installed it about 12 years ago...

http://www.horist.com/images/headcam...s/IMG_2091.htm

Then sank the two posts in.. has overhead bar and will lift to ~6.5-7ft

Looking at Rotary's brochure:
http://www.rotarylift.com/library/po...y_Two-Post.pdf
Andrew, this is my EXACT same situation, 12 ft ceiling, 4" slab, etc. and I want a Rotary.

Hey Horist, how much was that Rotary?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Let me in on the price also.

Quick Reply: Lift Dilemma.....