Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Which tig to get.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tig to get.

So pretty much as the title says I'm looking to pick up a tig welder to be able to do a good selection of fabrication In my small shop.
TheJobs will most likely consist of intercooler tubing, rollbars/cages, brackets/ motor mounts, header/turbo mani's, etc. Pretty much most of the stuff that can be fab'd at a performance shop.
The machines I've mostly been focusing on are the Hobart EZ-tig and the miller diversion 165, but of course there's also welders like the Eastwood pro 200 and stuff that everlast has( prices are temping but I get the feeling from the lack of actual reviews and the whole you get what you pay for mentality Makes me think they're to good to be true).
So I was wondering if any of you fabrication and welding gurus have any suggestion or experience on which tig to get for my needs? All input is appreciated.

Ben
Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you go diversion, go with the 180. You get footpedal control then.

if you want to do a fair amount of aluminum welding with proper control (frequency, balance, etc), you need to look at the dynasty 200 or the Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 PM
FormerVendor

Good info
Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diversion 180, or dynasty 200... But the dynasty is about $3200 w/pedal and leads.

I would not buy anything eastwood, or chinese.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im a fabricator and we have some 5k brand new millers and then we have some cheap 150 dollar tig welders and they will both do the same thing... i personally dont like the foot petal for welding steel, but do use it for alu.
i would say go cheap... the millers are cool and all but you can do the same stuff with the chinese "junk"
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

I'm a welder by trade and wouldn't buy anything but Miller. The dynasty is a bad *** machine, but does have a bigger pricetag. If you plan on doing thin alluninum to thick alluninum a 350 will lay it down.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.usaweld.com/ProductDetail...ode=70221-12.5

Look at the Invertig 220. They just brought this out, the previous model was Invertig 201. You might be3 able to get a deal on leftover 201's. I have to Invertig 201, and love it.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95batmobile
im a fabricator and we have some 5k brand new millers and then we have some cheap 150 dollar tig welders and they will both do the same thing... i personally dont like the foot petal for welding steel, but do use it for alu.
i would say go cheap... the millers are cool and all but you can do the same stuff with the chinese "junk"
With DC maybe. With aluminum you cannot compare cheap off brands to a Dynasty. Frequency, duty cycle, balance etc...... there's a reason its more expensive.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Even on DC its a world of difference, you just cant compare.

Now moving on to aluminum, 250 hz buzzing the hell outta the puddle leads to alot less porosity on cast stuff.... Cant do that with a cheapo chinese welder, and I dont think there is even a $150 ac tig on the market.... Soft square wave, sine wave, square wave, triangular wave..... all on the same machine with the push of a button. I have to use mine tomorrow to weld a roll off tarp arm, Im using my dynasty plugged into their regular 110v outlet another plus for the dynasty.

Originally Posted by Koondog
With DC maybe. With aluminum you cannot compare cheap off brands to a Dynasty. Frequency, duty cycle, balance etc...... there's a reason its more expensive.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Even on DC its a world of difference, you just cant compare.

Now moving on to aluminum, 250 hz buzzing the hell outta the puddle leads to alot less porosity on cast stuff.... Cant do that with a cheapo chinese welder, and I dont think there is even a $150 ac tig on the market.... Soft square wave, sine wave, square wave, triangular wave..... all on the same machine with the push of a button. I have to use mine tomorrow to weld a roll off tarp arm, Im using my dynasty plugged into their regular 110v outlet another plus for the dynasty.
You can use anything to weld DC. A simple gas generated arc welder with a DC torch welds awesome if not better then any expensive TIG welder. Its about as basic as welding gets.

And your right all the wave manipulation with a push of a button is awesome and useful in the right hands. 99% of most welders today still dont have a clue when it comes to the advanced settings on a Dynasty, but thats what separates the men from the boys.

DC

And the dynasty doing work AC...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Damn that looks nice.... need to learn TIG. LOL

Quick Reply: Which tig to get.