Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

So I was gifted this compressor...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I was gifted this compressor...

As a wedding gift I got a compressor and some air tools from one of my buddy's who couldn't make the trip. It's basically the SEARS in house brand and it came with a 3/8 air ratchet and a 1/2 impact. Its electric and 25 gallons 150 psi max. So I went to use it for the first time to zap the wheels of my T/A. Even on the highest setting, the impact it wouldn't loosen the lugnuts. I was really surprised.

Is it the shitty impact or the compressor? 125 psi is 125 psi right? I've taken off lug nuts with a little 5 gal pancake before.

Any input would be appreciated.

Here is the link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916500000P
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I think it is the impact. Afriend just bought a similar air gun from Sears and it would not take off the lug nuts on his car either. He even broke them loose by hand then retorques them to 90 foot pounds and then tried the gun again and still nothing. It was supposed to have 400 foot pounds of force in reverse. He has a twin cylinder industrial air compressor so that was definately not the issue. His old 1/2 drive impact broke so he went the cheap route and needless to say he took the gun back and got a Ingersol Rand Titanium one and it works great.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

check the pressure regulator, might be set on low psi.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

any compressor thats oil free is crap , also lol
Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

POS gun is all . Like you said 125 is 125 psi no matter the compressor. Oil less compressors have there place. Like inflating my kids swimmers... j/k. They are ok if you arent using a constant/ large volume of air. And if you are if its large enough and you leave the noisy bastard to run in the neighbors yard you are ok.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I'll be looking for a new impact. It's in an apartment garage, no space, and it's pretty quiet so it works for the time being.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run up to sears they should replace it. I sold their tools for a long time. It's not lifetime but it is one year and if the thing looks brand new they shouldn't have a problem. Also you are wrong 125 psi is not the same on every compressor. It's not psi it is scfm ( cubic feet per minute) if the pump is not able to keeP up with the tool and the frequency of use then it's not going to perform. I didn't check your link but that compressor is 3.9 cfm at 90 psi I think, most impacts are ~4 with some of the bigger ones needing more and some of the higher end ones needing a little less.

But like I said that compressor is fine it's Probobly a bad tool, guy In china forgot a piece haha. Btw oil free compressor aren't bad on a consumer level. If you don't change the oil in an oil compressor it will go south quick and if your oil free pump wears out you can usually buy a new sleeve and ring and be set, instead of having to hone it like a car motor.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I'm sorry when you said in house I assumed craftsman. We offered that compressor when I worked there but I never sold many so I don't know the specs. I think it is a good bit under 4 cfm but I would still lean towards the impact as the problem
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off, free is free

Second, I have an older Craftsman similar to that one....upright, oilless, mine actually does 8.6 @40psi and 6.8 @90psi. My cheap Harbor Freight gun does the same thing, no a$$ at all to it. Since it's so loud, I got fed up and bought a used 19.2 impact gun at a swap meet. I'm pretty sure it's the gun because on paper mine should run a gun just fine. It runs my tabletop blast cabinet ok, it should do fine with an impact gun. Try a different gun, I've been watching them used on ebay and they're not bad priced. Of course, the cordless wins for me in every situation because it's so quiet and I don't have to buy anything else, atleast until the battery dies.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by t/a98
I would run up to sears they should replace it. I sold their tools for a long time. It's not lifetime but it is one year and if the thing looks brand new they shouldn't have a problem. Also you are wrong 125 psi is not the same on every compressor. It's not psi it is scfm ( cubic feet per minute) if the pump is not able to keeP up with the tool and the frequency of use then it's not going to perform. I didn't check your link but that compressor is 3.9 cfm at 90 psi I think, most impacts are ~4 with some of the bigger ones needing more and some of the higher end ones needing a little less.

But like I said that compressor is fine it's Probobly a bad tool, guy In china forgot a piece haha. Btw oil free compressor aren't bad on a consumer level. If you don't change the oil in an oil compressor it will go south quick and if your oil free pump wears out you can usually buy a new sleeve and ring and be set, instead of having to hone it like a car motor.
•SCFM delivery at 40 PSI: 5.0 SCFM
•SCFM delivery at 90 PSI: 4.0 SCFM
•Compressor tank capacity: 26 gallon
•Maximum compressor psi: 150 psi

Do you know what is required to run a die grinder or similar air tool? I tried using one and the compressor really sucked at that.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by t/a98
Also you are wrong 125 psi is not the same on every compressor. It's not psi it is scfm ( cubic feet per minute) if the pump is not able to keeP up with the tool and the frequency of use then it's not going to perform.
125 psi is the same no matter the volume. 1 gallon to 1000 gallons. Scfm is only a measure of flow rate sustainable by the compressor/tank or used by the tool.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I have a SEARs directdrive compressor too. They(mine) is basically only good for airing tires , airbrushing and blowing moister out of bolt holes. I want to get a IR once I get a house. 18 or 24 CFM @ 125PSI
Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Emdmechanic
125 psi is the same no matter the volume. 1 gallon to 1000 gallons. Scfm is only a measure of flow rate sustainable by the compressor/tank or used by the tool.
No it isn't. Run a 1/4 line at 120psi then a 1/2 line at 120psi. The gun will be stronger with the bigger line.

Most of the time the smaller compressors have 1/8" regulators and fittings. Some of the tanks have a pipe plug on the end or top. Make a line off that with a ball valve.Then hook up your 3/8" line. Should have the power you need for lug nuts ect.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have this exact compressor, but the Craftsman brand. I too have noticed the impact doesn't have a lot of *** to it, but the air wratchet is great. I'm thinking of just getting a stout name brand impact, 1/2" drive, and seeing how it works. I have NO complaints on the compressor itself. Does a HELL of a lot better than my old 12gal.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
No it isn't. Run a 1/4 line at 120psi then a 1/2 line at 120psi. The gun will be stronger with the bigger line.

Most of the time the smaller compressors have 1/8" regulators and fittings. Some of the tanks have a pipe plug on the end or top. Make a line off that with a ball valve.Then hook up your 3/8" line. Should have the power you need for lug nuts ect.
Regardless of volume<<<< Which when you compare 1/4 to 1/2 fittings ... is all you are changing. Not the pressure. Pressure is the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I was gifted this compressor...