Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

N00B Pulling Trigger on Tools

Old 06-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default N00B Pulling Trigger on Tools

Okay, so I've been saving some $$ for a while and I'm about to pull the trigger on some decent tools for this project and potential future ones. After reading on this forum and other articles for about 3 months+ I'm planning on installing founders panhard bar and relocation kit, MWC driveshaft loop, Poly motor mounts, Kooks 1-7/8" headers with Kooks True Duals.
Before I start buying actual parts I want to make sure I have all the right tools for the job. So far I've bought two good torque wrenches: CDI 1/2" Drive 30 to 250ft-lbs and CDI 3/8" 10-100ft-lbs, 40 piece set of various SAE/Metric sockets from 3/8" to 32mm. I've also already got two good 1/4" and 3/8" socket wrenches and socket sets with extensions and deep wells. So that leaves the following things I still think I need to buy and was hoping that someone could recommend a good brand:
  • Special sockets…universal joint/swivels?
  • Dremel – Maybe? I have a cheap knock-off brand from Wal-mart but it seems pretty useful
  • Impact Wrench – Probably 120V AC electric since pneumatic is so expensive, I plan on doing a lot more suspension upgrades down the road.
  • Ratcheting wrenches – I know these are just useful in general but especially for motor mounts from what I’ve read.
  • Ramps/Jack Stands – I was definitely going to get some Rhino ramps but wanted to get jack stands for extra lift.
  • Propane Torch – For heating bolts if they are stubborn…?

If anyone else can think of some tools I forgot I would greatly appreciate it…I’m trying to make sure that I have the right tools before I get under the car. I’ve also got some pretty good miscellaneous tools such as pliers, vice grips, a few jacks, tons of screw drivers, lots of PB blaster…
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

It's been a while since I did mine but a few things I remember using were

- stubby wrenches- or cut a cheap one in half. Good for header bolts, especially the ones by the firewall
- drill and bits- drilling out motor mount rivets
- breaker bar for when the impact can't break things loose
- alignment tool- help line up motor mounts, suspension pieces

Universal's are always good to have around and I also use wobble's quite a bit. Give you a little bit of play but not as much of a pita. Impact isn't necessary but they are nice. If you get an impact most are 1/2" drive- then you'd have to get 1/2" socket sets, extensions, etc. Get some of the larger jackstands- 6 ton I think. The little ones won't get the car up high enough. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll want some retrieval tools, a retractable/extendable one with a strong magnet, and also one with three small metal claws. I'd also get a good LED drop light. Finally get a retractable/extendable small inspection mirror. Buy at least a 3hp reversible shop vac a really good wet/dry filter. Get some pliers too, wire cutters, needle nose, channel lock. I'd also get some swivel head ratchet wrenches in the smaller sizes (1/2" on down, an 15mm on down).
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies, I took your advice and have added what you suggested. Looks like I'm going to end up spending around $630 starting out. I went for the middle point on most tools so as I'm not buying junk but I'm not buying the best either.

Here is what I went with but haven't actually bought anything yet:
  • Mibro 871570 17-Piece Titanium Extra Life Metal Master Drill Bit Set
  • Dremel 4000-2/30 120-Volt Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit- Dremel
  • RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity)
  • Torin T46002A 6 Ton Double Locking Jack Stands (Sold in Pairs)- X2**
  • Sunex 2300 1/2-Inch Drive Universal Joint Impact Socket
  • Sunex 3301 3/8-Inch Drive Impact Universal Joint
  • Stanley STST70574 12-Inch Soft Sided Tool Bag
  • GearWrench 9901 12 Piece Metric Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set
  • GearWrench 9700 7 Piece Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set SAE
  • SE 15Lb Magnet Pick-up Tool, 7 1/2" - 30" Long, Stainless Steel
  • SE 8014TM Thick Handle 27-Inch Extension Tube with 2-Inch Round Mirror
  • MAXCRAFT 60184 3-in-1 Flex Lighted Magnetic/Claw Pick-Up Tool
  • Milwaukee 9072-20 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench
  • TEKTON 1695 3/8-Inch Drive x 12-Inch Flex Breaker Bar
  • TEKTON 1702 1/2-Inch Drive x 16-Inch Flex Breaker Bar

I have some of the basic pliers, screw drivers, needle nose pliers and stuff like that already. As for the wobble/universal sockets...they were ungodly expensive so I just went with the sunex 1/2" & 3/8" universal adapter instead.

Once I get a few projects completed I'll probably buy some more tools but if anybody can think of anything I missed, please let me know.

It's been a while since I did mine but a few things I remember using were

- stubby wrenches- or cut a cheap one in half. Good for header bolts, especially the ones by the firewall
- drill and bits- drilling out motor mount rivets
- breaker bar for when the impact can't break things loose
- alignment tool- help line up motor mounts, suspension pieces

Universal's are always good to have around and I also use wobble's quite a bit. Give you a little bit of play but not as much of a pita. Impact isn't necessary but they are nice. If you get an impact most are 1/2" drive- then you'd have to get 1/2" socket sets, extensions, etc. Get some of the larger jackstands- 6 ton I think. The little ones won't get the car up high enough. That's all I can think of at the moment.
I'm not sure which alignment tool you are referring to, could you please elaborate on this? Also, I've already got a 30 piece SAE/Metric impact socket set for my electric impact.

One other question I have is....are there any major issues with using impact type sockets on regular socket wrenches?

Last edited by s7ven; 07-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd skip the 3/8" breaker bar and just get a 1/2" dr to 3/8" socket adapter, and
a dremel 3000 series kits are good to, and it'll save you money. Get some funnels to in a couple of different sizes.

The alignment tool might also be called a line up punch

PM sent

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Launching!

I'd skip the 3/8" breaker bar and just get a 1/2" dr to 3/8" socket adapter, and
a dremel 3000 series kits are good to, and it'll save you money. Get some funnels to in a couple of different sizes.

The alignment tool might also be called a line up punch

PM sent
Thanks man, the 3/8 breaker bar was only $9 but that's a good point, I don't really need both. I'll probably stick with the 4000 series dremel simply because it's only $5 more though.

There are a lot of line-up punches to choose from, I found a 16" long 5/16" width extra-long taper for $15 so I might go with it. I'm kinda guessing this tool will serve a purpose similar to what I've read in other motor mount install articles where people have ground a pointed tip onto their bolts so that they can get it started?

Also, thanks for the PM, I will check that out.

One other question, when/where is it okay to use an impact wrench to loosen a bolt? Can I use it on everything or only suspension? Are aluminum bolts off limits? I just don't want to break a bolt or cause any sort of damage. As for tightening, I plan on only using it to snug up bolts (when practical) on the low speed setting and then using my torque wrench for the rest of the way.

Last edited by s7ven; 07-04-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: N00B Pulling Trigger on Tools