Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

My Everlast welder Review

Old 12-31-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Everlast welder Review

I see people wondering about the Everlast welders a lot on here.

To anyone who is wondering about Everlast welders...

My model was an Everlast PowerTig 225LX inverter welder. This is my review.

You get a lot of welder for the money. Lots of options that do actually work like they are supposed to. Up slope, down slope, pulse welding, 2t, 4t torch operation, frequency, AC balance etc... All of these options do not make you a better welder though. In the end, IT COMES DOWN TO PRACTICE AND SKILL and not how many options the welder has. HOWEVER, it is definitely a Chinese welder. I decided to send mine back because you have a 30 day money back guarantee. I had issues with the protection circuit tripping while welding aluminum. I was welding some stainless headers and the welder would randomly cut out on me. The arc would just cut off and come back on for no apparent reason. I decided to finish with my Lincoln just to make sure it was not me. Lincoln finished without a hiccup with a smoother arc as well. I took video using both welders, so people could see the Everlast cutting out in the middle of my weld. You will also see reviews on how the welder will come with cracked face plates and stuff like that. It is a VERY common occurrence. I figured I would chance it and would probably be fine. NOPE, mine came with a cracked face plate too. You also have to go to the hardware store and buy your own electrical plug, because it comes with some dinky plug that nobody should use.

I decided that since this welder was brand new and I was already having issues with it, I was not going to keep it. I went to send the welder back and that just opened up a whole different world of headaches. I contacted somebody on the 28th day (Friday) saying I would like to return it because I was simply not a satisfied customer. That put them on the defense and they started drilling into me asking what was wrong with the machine, was I using it correctly, blah blah blah. I told them what the problem was and they said "try this this and this." I said, "No, I would just like to return the welder." Well that was at the end of Friday. They did not get the last email I had sent them until Monday. At that time it was day 31. They tried to tell me it was too late to send the welder back as the 30 day period was already up. I eventually got my way and was given the OK to send it back. THEN they tried to charge me a 10% restocking fee. I said "No, YOUR WEBSITE STATES 100% money back!"

By the end of it all, I sent it back and got a 100% refund, but had to pay for shipping and insurance out of my own pocket, which was about $120.

Big headache is what it was. That is my review of the Everlast welder.
Here is the video of the Everlast cutting out.

Here is me finishing with my Lincoln.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Launching!

damnit I was just looking at these on ebay
Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like a piece...
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Makes me glad I went with a lincoln when I bought one over the holidays. Thanks for the review though. Hopefully it will convince people to go with a quality piece.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

glad i bought my Dynasty, i was SERIOUSLY looking into these at one time, even though i knew better.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

I had the money laying around, so I figured I would give it a shot. I didn't have anything to lose with their 100% money back guarantee (little did I know).

I didn't trust the welding forums opinions because it is EXTREMELY political on those sites. You buy American or you essentially get the cold shoulder. So I decided to try it myself.

In a nut shell, I'm glad I now know, and I was only out roughly $100 and some of my time.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the write-up. I too was looking at these welders. I saw too many threads like this where people received non-functioning units or units that broke within the first couple months. Then while browsing everlast's site I noticed they had lifted a lot of material/functionality from Miller's website. E.g. the popup menu and graphics, the *exact* copy on the welding calculators. That was the final tipoff that the company are their products are ****. So I bought a Miller Tig instead.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the PowerPro 256 back in 2010 and posted up here about it. I still have it to this day and it's worked well, although, as of late, I've had an issue with the argon solenoid sticking open. I mostly use it for TIG welding and use it a couple of hours per week. I've used the Miller and Lincoln machines and I'm not going to say my machine is better, but for what I spent vs what I got, I'm quite happy. I was just curious about other comments about the Everlast because I decided to buy one of their latest MIG machines.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
I bought the PowerPro 256 back in 2010 and posted up here about it. I still have it to this day and it's worked well, although, as of late, I've had an issue with the argon solenoid sticking open. I mostly use it for TIG welding and use it a couple of hours per week. I've used the Miller and Lincoln machines and I'm not going to say my machine is better, but for what I spent vs what I got, I'm quite happy. I was just curious about other comments about the Everlast because I decided to buy one of their latest MIG machines.
Pull out the solenoid, mine was leaking too burning up bottles way to fast. I found trash in there keeping it open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Everlast welder Review