Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Orbital Buffer? Opinions? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orbital Buffer? Opinions? Thoughts?

So Im looking to get into restoring the paint on my Camaro. Im starting to notice some paint swirls on it and have been reading up on a few things. If your a beginner car detailer you can possibly burn the paint off your car with a porter cable (yikes ) so I've been reading up on these orbital buffers. They seem to be a fairly bit cheaper than the Porter Cable and they run at low speeds. I feel like it would be good practice to get into using a Orbital Buffer than just jumping to a Porter Cable and ruining my paint. So what's your opinion on this? And does anyone know what a good Orbital Buffer would be?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont waste your time with those man. They are only "wax appliers". A Porter Cable is what you need. The possibility of burning the paint with them is quite remote. They rotate and also oscillate dissipating the heat. The problem with burning paint comes with angle polishers, like the ones they use in paint shops.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chaman
Dont waste your time with those man. They are only "wax appliers". A Porter Cable is what you need. The possibility of burning the paint with them is quite remote. They rotate and also oscillate dissipating the heat. The problem with burning paint comes with angle polishers, like the ones they use in paint shops.
Is a porter cable you guys talk about basically just a grinder? I have a grinder already. And if it is just a grinder. Do all I need is just the pads? Sorry for all the newbie detailing questions. Thanks for the speedy response by the way.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are random orbital function tools that spin slowly in an off center vibrating motion, which are safer. Then there are variable slow speed rotary motion buffers which require more care not to burn through. They are NOT a grinder. Porter cable makes both. For light swirls & repeated useages, the random orbital may be your best choice.Last few years I,ve been using meguiars diamond cut compound.It cuts good, then as it wears, it breaks down into a smoother glazing compound. General quality cleaning products sometimes have a bit of fillers, which hide some of the swirl marks that may later reappear. Pep boys is one place besides paint suppliers that sells diamond cut.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 04-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

buy a makita 6 speed buffer. i use one to buff and polish my molds for laying up fiberglass and carbon fiber parts and it is a trooper, plus one of them lasts about 3 porter cable units.
plus when you are learning how to use it (use more water) your end result will take longer to achieve but you will get use to holding the buffer on the correct angle and be more forgiving when you stop at the end of your strokes(which is a easy mistake for a beginner). You want nice fluid motion with no pause when changing direction, thats how you burn the surface. Just my 2 cents worth, I buff expensive mold surfaces every day and hate burning the delicate finish, so I had to get good at it.
Beaudacious
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by versz
Is a porter cable you guys talk about basically just a grinder? I have a grinder already. And if it is just a grinder. Do all I need is just the pads? Sorry for all the newbie detailing questions. Thanks for the speedy response by the way.
Check out the appearance section here, there's tons of info. A porter cable random orbital is a completely different animal than a grinder. Chaman said it pretty good above. I'm actually teaching a friend to use a PC (I've had one 10 years and do 2-3 cars a month). Basically the only way you will damage the paint with a PC is to really contaminate the pad (drop it in gravel, etc) or hit the paint with the side of the machine or the backing plate. If the pad is clean and in good shape, it's almost impossible to burn through the paint. I've tried, I let it sit still with my roughest compound for a minute or so and nothing. We actually got my dad one for father's day, Lowes carries the 6" backing plate version and it was like $116 with a 10% off coupon. Mine has paid for itself over and over again, by far one of my best purchases. Don't be scared!

Quick Reply: Orbital Buffer? Opinions? Thoughts?