Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Paint experets... Sprayed some summit hot rod black and it came out glossy not matte

Old 05-31-2012, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Paint experets... Sprayed some summit hot rod black and it came out glossy not matte

EDIT: Oops spelled experts wrong in the title! If an admin wants to fix it be my guest ha.
------------------------

Any ideas? Summit hot rod black is supposed to be a low gloss acrylic urethane paint. Base, acrylic urethane activator, and urethane reducer if necessary.

I mixed 4:1 as instructed, and reduced with middle temp (dont have figures handy) urethane reducer. I literally added a "splash" of reducer as it was just a little thick for my 1.4 tip.

Temp was low 70s. Humidity probably in the 70% range.

Paint has cured for a day now. Feels hard to the touch, one problem though... It's about as glossy as it gets!!

Any ideas why this happened? I searched google and found no similar stories. Too high of humidity? Could the reducer have caused this?

Luckily I don't really care if these parts came out glossy, but this was my "test" for this paint and I'm disappointed as I have some items I would actually like to come out low gloss!

And lastly, does anyone have a non lacquer matte or semi matte single stage alternative?

Last edited by tylert14; 05-31-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Ahhh fml spelled experts wrong in the title.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a possibility the reducer could have something to do with it. we spray a nice matte black at work, one day we had a few dry and look glossy, turns out we had a bad batch of paint from the manufacturer, so could be bad paint, wrong/bad/too much/too little reducer, a few factors could be the cause.

Try experimenting on something small, to test with, try different amounts of reducer, if you have enough to waste. my .02
Old 05-31-2012, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slownova73
its a possibility the reducer could have something to do with it. we spray a nice matte black at work, one day we had a few dry and look glossy, turns out we had a bad batch of paint from the manufacturer, so could be bad paint, wrong/bad/too much/too little reducer, a few factors could be the cause.

Try experimenting on something small, to test with, try different amounts of reducer, if you have enough to waste. my .02

Yeah I think I'm just going spray some on a nice non humid day, unreduced, with a 2.0 tip. If that turns out glossy I'll be contacting summit for a replacement! I'm thinking this is just normal gloss black with a hot rod black label. When i say its glossy, I mean its GLOSSY. lol
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

do the instructions mention anything about adjustment via a flattening agent?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tylert14
Yeah I think I'm just going spray some on a nice non humid day, unreduced, with a 2.0 tip. If that turns out glossy I'll be contacting summit for a replacement! I'm thinking this is just normal gloss black with a hot rod black label. When i say its glossy, I mean its GLOSSY. lol
I meant to say flatener instead of reducer. Did it come with a flatening agent? May e u should call summit and see ic ghey have some that will work with that paint.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Launching!

try the sems hot rod black paint.easy to use and mix
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Wrong paint in the can, right label?? Summit shows both are available.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

I had the same issue when I painted mine Hot Rod Flatz Silver Sled Metallic... hood came out darker and had a gloss.... I finally figured out that I had not shook the can enough to get everything on the bottom mixed in correctly. Hope that helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint experets... Sprayed some summit hot rod black and it came out glossy not matte