Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

tool chest shopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tool chest shopping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a New Tool Chest, Prolly a 10-15 drawer or a similiar combo.

I know you get what you pay for but
No Snap For me.

Kobalt at lowes any good?No more stuff from sears for me.
Grizzly industrial?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about matco?

I have craftsman in my garage at home it does just fine. Decent ball bearing boxes. The one searved duty for 2 years daily at work till it was retired to garage duty. Stay away fro the professinal models, I had one and it wasnt worth the money and started ot fall apart so I took it back. Although I do like the trax waterloo box at lowes

http://store.autotoolexpress.com/41stainsteel.html
Old 05-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Banned

i'd get a craftsman ball bearing.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

I was checking out some Craftsman boxes the other day. The quality on most their boxes are not what they used to be, even 5 years ago. We have a couple of 15-20 year old Craftsman's and they are built and work better than the brand new ones. For the same price rang as there's you could get a Waterloo. Waterloo is one of the best bang for buck boxes out there, in my opinion. I believe that their address in waterlooindustries.com.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I just bought a bottom Craftsmutt box; it blows compared ot the quality of the Husky from a few years ago....I will probably buy another brand top box
Old 05-03-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to sears and on the right hand side of any craftsm an box towarda the bottom you will see mfg by waterloo industries.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Kobalt from lowes (the old woman works there) 3 weeks ago , I needed a cheap roll box at work it is a total piece of **** it allready looks like its 3 years old . its made out of THIN sheet metal, its flimsy, made by gooks, and I cant say anything good about it. Find a used Snap-on, Mac , Matco , Cornwell or any quality American made box you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by sssuch; 05-21-2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pawn shops are a good source of used boxes
Old 05-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Got to get the pawn shops away from the city. Good choice on staying away from Snap on they're too expensive!!
Old 05-18-2004, 08:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theyres a Snap On double bank for sale right now in the classifieds at one hell of a price.

As far as " staying away from Snap On" I disagree. Snap On quality is second to none. Aside from that, show me another manufacturer that will give you full retail value on trade ins anytime in the future..... My co worker has had his triple bank Snap On box for 5 yrs. Bought it for 6995. Snap On just gave him 7595 (current retail value)Trade allowance on his new box. So basically this guy used the **** out of this box for 5 yrs and made 600 bucks. Let a Craftsman do that for ya
Old 05-18-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I believe Craftsmen, Waterloo, Kobalt and some Mac are all made by Stanley Tool company. There are also a bunch of new companies selling these same boxes under generic names. Snap On makes there own and I think Matco does as well.

The differences in craftsmen, waterloo, kobalt and some of the lower line Macs are usualy just how the retailer (home depot, Sears,etc) orders them. Many of the components are the same. Then they usually have different series' or "lines" of boxes. As long as you get a proffesional series you should be ok. Snap On makes the best boxes followed by Matco...the rest are a toss up. It pays to shop around though. Toolbox markup is incredible. Especially when you can get essentially the same box labeled under three or more different companies
Old 05-18-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

The Stainless Steel roller ball bearing tool chest that can be found at Costco, its a very very nice setup.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Craftsman- I have a regular off the shelf craftsman box(something like a 13 drawer maybe) and I like it, even though I would opt for a roller bearing professional series. But like said above its how the place orders them. Most Sears don't order the nicer craftsman boxes and stuff. The Craftsman PROFESSIONAL series of tools and boxes are great, but you don't see them often and they are way more expensive. Hell I have around $1700 in Craftsman tools now and I have my 13 drawer box FULL. So its time for an upgrade!

As far as Snap on, I like their ratchets, open end wrenches, and torque wrenches.

Mac- I like Mac a whole BUNCH(considering I get a big price cut ) From my understanding Mac actually makes the stanley tools instead of Stanley making Mac.

Cornhole- I like Cornwell tools, they are decently priced and great quality. I like their sockets, head head sockets, etc. They have some nice boxes also.

For my air tools- Ingersol and Rand is the ONLY way to go! I have the newer series of the Titanium 1/2 drive impact and that **** is BAD!!!!

All in All- tools aren't just tools! I have heard many people say that they are, but you really do get what you pay for when you buy tools. If you need something just to get you by for a little while skimp and get something kinda cheap. But if you are looking for something that you might want to use for a few years go ahead and spend the money on something nice.

I take my tools very seriously and I like my tools more than my car.... besides if I didn't have tools...... my car probably wouldn't run(which the engine is dead now so the tools are waiting on parts so that I can put it back together with)

Josh S.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have snap on tools, I like my snap on tools, but untill I meet a snap on guy that isnt an *** hole I wont buy anymore. And personaly I think matco boxes are above snap on.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

I have relatively simple tastes. My $300 15 drawer Sears combo works just fine. I've had it 7 or 8 years and it's still in good shape. The only problem with it is it's full -- I need to either get a 2nd box or get a larger one.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Teching In

You might want to check on Ebay. There is alway alot of good tool boxes.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ta12sec
I have snap on tools, I like my snap on tools, but untill I meet a snap on guy that isnt an *** hole I wont buy anymore. And personaly I think matco boxes are above snap on.
Ditto. I'm all Mac/Matco from here out, unless Strap On comes out with something that's REALLY good or REALLY unique. I've been screwed by more Strap On guys than any other. Never had a problem with Mac or Matco.

And Matco's new boxes are light years ahead in quality from Snap On or Mac.

Quick Reply: tool chest shopping