Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Sheet Metal Intake Manifold (rework)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sheet Metal Intake Manifold (rework)

So we had a customer bring us this very promising (ebay) sheet metal intake manifold last week for an LS3. It looked really nice, except when you looked inside the plenum. Horrible slag, extra welding rod and the runners were all different lengths.

So we cut the throttle body opening off and then proceeded to cut it length wise. Ported it and deburred everything. Then TIG welded it on up.

Doesn't look too bad at all! If I do say so myself.
Attached Thumbnails Sheet Metal Intake Manifold (rework)-front-intake-ported.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job! Are you adding anything to hold fuel rails?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

So how much would this cost total with the rework and purchase of the manifold?

Plan on doing any testing with it vs. a production manifold? Nice work guys!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the middle of making my own custom intake myself.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-intake-2.html

According to some research, different cylinders can respond better to varying length runners, though we all know this was not the case here.
Bell mouths slightly raised above the floor are a preferred way to get better flow into the cylinders, but any kind of radius entry into the runners is far better than none.
May also want to check fitment against heads, no telling what their quality was there either, coupled with the extra heat of being re-welded.
Good luck on the project & wish me luck on mine. If I do make more power, at least I'm good to go with my stage 3 clutch assembly & light billet flywheel from you know where.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Did you leave the runner entries squared off like that?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

Well thank you!

This is not a comparison of a $2-$4000+ manifold, simply some "fabrication work" we did in house on a manifold that was purchased off of Ebay. I just try to show some of the more interesting fab work we get in the shop and show what we can do.

We will be making some fuel rail brackets and what ever else it may need to get it on the car and running.

We would have loved to put velocity stacks inside the manifold, but restraints are always part of a build. Time, money, etc.... They are deburred at the top of the runner as much as the material will allow without much modifications, cost or parts involved.

We will be dynoing it on a LS3 car, with just a couple of bolt-ons, before and after and vs a FAST 102.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I got that it was a demonstration of projects & I know just how time consuming they can be.
Against a standard fast 102, the typical expected result would be a loss of lower rpm power & a small gain somewhere north of 5000 rpm. Should be an excellent manifold for boosted race applications.

The cosmetic cool factor over a plastic intake goes without saying, part of my reason for building my own vs something ugly like an lsxrt intake.

Curious to what the ebay price was? For someone else wanting to split one of these open to cleanup, the existing runner ends probably could be bent outwards & then radiused some more with burr bits/sanding.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

The Ebay price I believe is $799 shipped.

The reason we cut it open was there was a TON of slag and extra welding rod in the manifold that could not be deburred by hand without cutting it open. (we could not reach it) If the manifold was sold with no slag or deburring required it would have never been cut open. The pictures don't show how really bad it was.

It was 6 hours of fabrication/porting time.

We are looking into some velocity stacks, or bellows for the intake in the future.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

a buddy bought the same one, they are horrible inside, look nice enough outside but the inside is just asking for chunk to break lose and take out your motor. he did almost same exact thing , except he added extra weld at mouth of each runner to smooth and round off. of course its boosted so he figures not huge diff as the turbo will force the air in anyway.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last similar name brand intake like this I saw was about 3k, so $ 8oo shipped isn't a bad deal for those of us with a syncro 200 & some skill. Good bell mouths can run around 40 to 50 each times 8 of course, so I'd say putting a large weld bead around the outside of each runner ( from the inside of plenum)& then carving a decent radius would be the most cost effective way to have some what of a raised velocity stack.
From my research,with bell mouths , like many other items, takes a lot more cost & effort for small gain past the basic decent size & shape.
BTW, I got some good general advice from an afr engineer & a gm engineer involved with the LS7 intake project. not just guessing .Advice from people like that always helps.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Yeah, from the outside of the manifold, "WOW this thing is awesome"... look inside, instant sad face!

We could have did a few different things to this to make it even better, but not really what the customer had in mind. Budget, Budget, Budget. So for less than half price of similar manifolds, its worth giving it a shot.

Hopefully in the up coming month we can do the dyno testing on all the different manifolds and see how it works.

BTW, Smurfkiller how did the manifold work out on your buddies turbo car? Any pictures of it all set up?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Yeah, from the outside of the manifold, "WOW this thing is awesome"... look inside, instant sad face!

We could have did a few different things to this to make it even better, but not really what the customer had in mind. Budget, Budget, Budget. So for less than half price of similar manifolds, its worth giving it a shot.

Hopefully in the up coming month we can do the dyno testing on all the different manifolds and see how it works.

BTW, Smurfkiller how did the manifold work out on your buddies turbo car? Any pictures of it all set up?
similar probs, budget budget budget he is willing to wait the time to try to do things right instead of just cheap. i think turbos are last major parts he is waiting on.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Gotcha, so it's not a finished project just yet.

I am wanting to see the difference on an all motor car between 3 different manifolds. Stock, Fast 102, and this Ebay manifold. Would love to see 4 different manifolds tested... ( $3000+ manifold )
Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Intresting! Want to see some numbers.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Here is the manifold with fuel rails, injectors and throttle body test fitting it...
Attached Thumbnails Sheet Metal Intake Manifold (rework)-intake-test.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

did you ever get to dyno this intake?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Here is the manifold with fuel rails, injectors and throttle body test fitting it...
<<This guy is also curious. Good job revising that intake SNL.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
did you ever get to dyno this intake?
bump, any performance results ?

Often wondered about using the cast alloy base from this sort of setup ( if available separately )
It could be used to build a crossover style intake ? Just add some trumpets and plenum instead of the individual throttles

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111466017517?lpid=82

not as awesome as the carbon picture on the thread linked above...but it could work ?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-intake-2.html
Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

We got the turbo Fox up and running today, it's our tuners. We'll have numbers soon.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

if I could get my hands on one of those

Quick Reply: Sheet Metal Intake Manifold (rework)