Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

HElp w/ alum tig welding.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default HElp w/ alum tig welding.

I bought a Miller Dynasty 200DX recently and I want to try my first alum project. I was hoping to get a good starting parameters.

16g 6061 alum. What setting should I start with? Bare in mind I all ready tried messing with the default settings and thats why I need help.

thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 10-20-2014, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start at 100 amps, 60 balance, 100hz frequency. Those are pretty standard settings for aluminum. make sure you material is cleaned with denatured alcohol, and fresh filler rod. this way, you know your practicing with clean material, and not fighting contamination.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Lots of aluminum talk in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...ston-area.html
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks I appreciate it !!!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up ChuckE2009 on youtube. He makes some pretty good videos for beginners.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned aluminum welding with a gas torch, which made switching to a syncro 200 pretty easy by comparison.

Here's one big thing I will tell you for learning aluminum:::: You generally start out practicing on small scraps. Aluminum disperses heat fast & welding on a large part real project) will react much differently than small stuff. Particularly with larger aluminum parts you need to sit there a little longer with the amps up high before starting to actually weld, then next thing you know it's getting too hot. That said, having a welder with a foot pedal is a beautiful thing for taking care of these characteristics with ease.

With welding steel, you can many times just lay 2 parts together & get a tack weld with no filler. Not so with aluminum. It needs more clamping to not pull apart & needs filler rod just to tack.

Steel turns colors before melting . Aluminum gets shiny as it gets to it's needed heat.

Touching the rod to the material is easy to do when learning. Contaminates the area & turns it black. Have a stainless wire brush to take care of this & spare rods ready.

Do NOT grind aluminum with a standard metal grinding disc. The aluminum will load up in the pores & they can actually explode hard enough to injure you. There are grinding discs for aluminum. Flap discs are safe also.

That's a few beginners tips for ya. Be patient & if you have it in you , you will get there.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

good tips JLCustoms. thanks.

93camaro zzz,
Thanks, I'll check him out.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

A convolute wheel is best for de-burring the edge of aluminum.

Also, aluminum can be tacked with no filler, you have to walk the puddle a bit to fuse the area, and pulse with your foot. its tricky, and you have to have a perfect mating surface for it to work... but its doable.

Quick Reply: HElp w/ alum tig welding.