Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Opinions on welders

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions on welders

I want to know what welder you have, what you are using it for and how you like it. I'm looking to purchase a welder and just looking to see what most guys here are buying. I'm open to mig and tig welder opinions
Old 11-23-2014, 01:27 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Miller Dynasty 200 set up and love it. It's not for poor people though.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just a hobby welder/tinkerer but I've got a pretty good variety of welders and each has their pros and cons really. In my garage I have a Lincoln weld pak 100 converted to gas. It's about one of the smallest migs you can get but I actually love welding smaller stuff and sheet metal with it. It's got a smaller torch that you can just about get in anywhere with and it welds so smooth for a 110 machine. Then I also have an Everlast 210EXT TIG in my garage that has been flawless. Granted, it's not worked heavy but it hasn't let me down and I've had it over a year now welding titanium, aluminum, stainless, among other things.

In my shop I've got a Millermatic 250 mig and a Syncrowave 351 TIG but these really dont get much use since my dad passed away. I just don't have the time or projects to really use them but they both weld great. They just aren't portable like the two units in my garage are.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Hobart handler 140. I'm still learning on it but it is great starting point. Not a bad price either. Its a 110v but I don't plan on doing any heavy duty work.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive got a Northern tool 140i MIG and a Eastwood 200 TIG. Both do great for what I do at home. So far the only thing I don't like about the TIG is that it doesn't have pulse control so it throws me off a little since I learned to TIG weld on a very nice miller machine
Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Whats your budget, and what all projects do you want to tackle? Im personally running a Lincoln 135 Mig thats 110V. That thing is a little powerhouse, and I rarely have to turn it all the way up. To run it wide open for an extended period you will need a dedicated 110v circuit with the correct size wire and breaker. It will blow your standard 15/20a outlet breakers. I never bought gas for it, which helps smaller welders run hot, because the gas cools the weld. Most people don't like gasless welding but with a quality welder it can lay down pretty nice beads.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 11-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Some of my best welds on my lincoln where flux core. The little lincolns are actually a dream to weld with. Just wish it had a better duty cycle but I guess a person can't complain for the price.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Well I have a 1000 dollar budget, I'm tore between all the welders after looking at reviews. I'm also undecided because I'm looking at putting a cage in the car and want to do chromoly which then I need a tig welder. I do have access to a tig but it's a not a portable one. I guess my question is is most guys just using mild steel on there cars? Anyone with a thermal arc tig here? There is also some budget tigs at my budget just wanted to see what everyone else is using.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

I have the Lincoln weldpak 110 with gas and love it plus I have a century 220 gas mig that works great for my larger welding needs. I have been very tempted to pick up a tig but then I would have to relearn how to weld.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you don't have the budget for both welders at home or even a worthwhile tig, get a decent 140 mig.you can use it to tack weld some projects & finish them else where with the tig you mentioned having access to.
You'll need a little bit of that budget for gas, supplies, & helment, preferably an auto darkening model.

I personally tend to stay away from certain budget version tools, such as grip pliars, routers, & welders.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Hobart Handler 140 and an HTP Invertig 221H.

Hobart: great welder, has never failed me in any way since the day I bought it 4 (?) years ago now. I'm not a pro that hammers on it day in and day out by any means, but I have put a decent amount of wire through it. Only thing is that I wish it had more juice at times for heavier stuff. You really have to start playing with wire size, joint design, and preheat if you want to get the full 1/4" thick capacity in a single pass that they claim but it can be done. Overall it's great for sheet metal / light fab and 95% of the stuff you'll find on any car project.

HTP: Just getting into this one and learning but the more I use it the more I love this machine. I heard great things about it and couldn't find any bad reviews, so went for it when they had it on special for Black Friday. It's not a Miller, but it's ~$1k cheaper to outfit to be able to weld with it out of the box since you don't have to buy the "contractor's kit" or whatever it is. I bought it to do stainless exhaust tubing but have also been using it on any structural stuff the mig can't handle.

In really comes down to what your needs are. If I can offer a suggestion though, buy more machine than you'll need today. Chances are very likely that you'll find that extra capacity useful for you someday down the line. If I had to do it all over again I would have ended up with a 230V mig.

My $.02. Good luck.

-Chuck

Last edited by ckpitt55; 11-23-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

I have a welding helmet,gloves,brush,ect. I used to have a job welding when I was younger, that was with the millermatic 200. But I'm not looking for a welder that big. I don't have the room for it. I want something smaller in size that works. But when looking at 1000$ mig welders it's hard not to wonder about a thermal arc, eastwood tig, longevity tig for that same price. I was just curious to what you guys use at home. But I'm looking to install a roll cage and lots of other fab work as I'm building a drag car. Thanks for your opinions so far.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Welders......

Don't get anything under 180 I like the Hobart and Lincolns welders as well as Millers.

A 225 will be able to tackle must projects with ease, else get a separate gas bottle as oppose to flux wire, the welds are much better and cleaner plus you can adjust for fine tuning at all levels.

You can else set it to weld both steel and aluminum by getting the extra aluminum gun and argon gas bottle.

Get the welding machine cart with dual gas bottle tray is very cool, just open the gas bottle you are going to use for the choice metal to weld at hand and switch on your choice gun.

You may not be able to do both metals with smaller welders.

Is only three adjustments so is really easy, wire speed, heat and gas.

All the above you can do with around a thousand dollars "give or take a few" including buying the two medium 125 cubic feet gas bottles, welding helmet, gloves extra tips for both gas and wire plus jelly deep to keep gas tip clean.

Good luck enjoy welding, it will open doors to fabrication and developing any project at hand, "BUT" don't forget welding gasses are evil don't inhale them, always work in an pen well ventilated area were gasses actively flow away from your work station.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

these threads often turn into a dick measuring contest over who can spent the most money, but i'll whip it out and play along.

i picked up a little yellow chinese buzzbox inverter tig for ~$700 for home use.
it has some pretty useful features, but the torch & regulator it comes with are turds. add $150 for a proper torch & gas lens kit, $100 for a bottle, $75 for a decent reg and of course a cart and consumeables...right at $1000. you could make it water cooled for another ~700 or so. I don't find much need for a WC torch on the small stuff I mess with.

my advice to guys new to welding and hemming and hawing is just get whatever you can afford and start scratching now.
the welder does not make the weldor. practice and patience does.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:21 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Well, i have owned a few welders. Currently i have a Lincoln Mig-Pak 15 thats 220 volt. It worked ok but its a Home Depot kinda welder. What i found to be the issue with it was you couldnt make fine adjustments to voltage or wire speed. THe ***** had detents for each setting. So, A B C D E for voltage and i think its 1-10 for wire speed. THis i found to be a pain at finding what would make a nice clean weld at times. Rarely but it would happen once in a while. I will say this, this little welder paid for itself many times so i cant complain.

My other welder is a Miller Millermatic 252. I got a deal on it i really couldnt pass up. It welds beautiful.

What i would recommend first would be go with a 220v machine. I would also get gas for nicer welds. A nice welder for the money i find is the Miller auto-set 211. Kinda pricey but i really like them and they are compact.
Have to admit, at times i consider selling the 252 for the 211.

Just my opinion. I am no licensed or pro welder. WIsh i knew how to tig. I may get one one day. BUt i can say i have done my fair share of welding. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Well I thought I'd update everyone, I pulled the trigger and bought a mm211. I really couldn't pass it up after calling the local welding supply store and getting the welder and a second spool of wire for $850! Guess it helps to give an old family friend a call. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Uneverknow
Well I thought I'd update everyone, I pulled the trigger and bought a mm211. I really couldn't pass it up after calling the local welding supply store and getting the welder and a second spool of wire for $850! Guess it helps to give an old family friend a call. Thanks for everyone's input.
you will love it, and no welding machine will be amazing unless you have hood time....and a lot of it! getcha some scrap and start burnin wire
Old 11-27-2014, 06:45 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

good purchase. You'll love it.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Great deal on the MM211. congrats.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats not a bad machine. Make sure your input is more than adequate. I run a Miller 300 everyday and love it.

I have a couple lincoln machines and will never buy another.

Quick Reply: Opinions on welders