Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tig welder opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tig welder opinions

What do you guys think about this welder?

http://www.harborfreight.com/165-amp...der-61792.html

Yeah, I know it isn't the best quality. I am going to use it to piece together my hot side and maybe do a little more fabrication work. I am having trouble trying to find someone to tig weld it for me. Not alot of fabrication guys here in my neck of the woods in NY. I was going to tack it together. I have called a few machine shops and can't find anyone. I have a nice mig, but I've seen the way most mig welds come out on thin exhaust pipe, and I don't like it. I have never tig'd before, but I would take the time to practice on some scrap. For about $350(with the tank), I would have a small tig. I figure I would send out some feelers to see if anyone used it, or knows someone. If it comes back bad then I will keep looking for someone to weld it up for me, even if I have to travel. I just can't justify a big dollar welder for what I am going to use it for. If anyone has any other options, I am all ears. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesnt look like it accepts shielding gas. First off its an electrical part from HF. Second it doesnt look like it utilizes gas. If that's the case, Don't even think about it.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Longevity Tigweld 200sx.

Offer them 800 on their website and they'll take it. I've welded quarter inch mild steel using the 15a 110v outlet in my garage and this TIG has NEVER skipped a beat. Cannot beat it for the price. Ever.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a thermal arc 90 I believe. It was super cheap and I really like it.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by codyvette
I have a thermal arc 90 I believe. It was super cheap and I really like it.
Thermal arc 181i badass welder for $800
Old 01-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Launching!

I have an alphaTig 200x and its awesome. For the price being an inverter style machine that can do DC/AC, tons of options, 110/240v its hard to beat. I got mine from Kevin Caron for like 700.00 shipped.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Sure wouldn't we all like to spend $2500 on a tig. But not all of us can afford it. I have a good friend that had a hf tig welder and it worked pretty well for exhaust and charge pipes that were stainless. It wouldn't do aluminum. But for the price you can't really beat it for the hobbies. Don't expect to make a living off it but the op seems like he just wants to use it from time to time. You can search craigslist for a used tig but even then most are more then $750
Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
Sure wouldn't we all like to spend $2500 on a tig. But not all of us can afford it. I have a good friend that had a hf tig welder and it worked pretty well for exhaust and charge pipes that were stainless. It wouldn't do aluminum. But for the price you can't really beat it for the hobbies. Don't expect to make a living off it but the op seems like he just wants to use it from time to time. You can search craigslist for a used tig but even then most are more then $750
Truth. But if it doesn't use gas it's a waste of money IMO
Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you just run the gas straight to the torch, with a shut off **** on the torch itself.
A place I worked had a scratch-start set-up like this. Cheap, reliable and worked pretty good.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:28 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
you just run the gas straight to the torch, with a shut off **** on the torch itself. A place I worked had a scratch-start set-up like this. Cheap, reliable and worked pretty good.
I guess.. or just spend a little more and not have a duck taped TIG gun.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One caution I'd give about too cheap of a welder is if you don't fully know how to tig weld & the machine isn't doing it's job properly, it can make attempting to work a frustrating process. This could result in giving up on a skill you could become really good at if given a proper chance.

Also if you do pick up ok on steel welding, you may really want to try aluminum. May really want something at least good enough to do both.

When paying money for tools, always consider if paying a little more now will pay for itself later on in the future of your lifetime .

I understand low budget & trying to save money as well as anyone, but it is too easy to screw yourself trying to use an inadequate too for some jobs. For example, if you have a broken off bolt with just enough to grab with vice grips & a prayer, would you use a$2.00 harbor freight pair or pay more like $15 for a real pair.
Just something to consider.

Another overlooked option for low buck steel welding is an old school torch setup. Takes no electricity, so you can do anywhere. and cut steel if needed. Gas is expensive these days though. But they are still good for certain projects, small aluminum projects also. The henrob/cobra heads can do some precise work for some projects. Something Just to keep in mind if you come across one for super cheap.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 01-10-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
One caution I'd give about too cheap of a welder is if you don't fully know how to tig weld & the machine isn't doing it's job properly, it can make attempting to work a frustrating process. This could result in giving up on a skill you could become really good at if given a proper chance. Also if you do pick up ok on steel welding, you may really want to try aluminum. May really want something at least good enough to do both. When paying money for tools, always consider if paying a little more now will pay for itself later on in the future of your lifetime . I understand low budget & trying to save money as well as anyone, but it is too easy to screw yourself trying to use an inadequate too for some jobs. For example, if you have a broken off bolt with just enough to grab with vice grips & a prayer, would you use a$2.00 harbor freight pair or pay more like $15 for a real pair. Just something to consider. Another overlooked option for low buck steel welding is an old school torch setup. Takes no electricity, so you can do anywhere. and cut steel if needed. Gas is expensive these days though. But they are still good for certain projects, small aluminum projects also. The henrob/cobra heads can do some precise work for some projects. Something Just to keep in mind if you come across one for super cheap.
Good advise. I've spent so much money on cheap tools and screwed myself in the process. You end up spending more money in the long run.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
I guess.. or just spend a little more and not have a duck taped TIG gun.

it's called a torch. and no one mentioned duct tape.

http://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/ein...66=WP-26V-12-R

this type of set up is really common in pipelining and ship building. it's cheap and robust.

having the nicest equipment does not result in the nicest weld. practice does.

"the welder does not make the weldor"
Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
it's called a torch. and no one mentioned duct tape. http://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/ein...66=WP-26V-12-R this type of set up is really common in pipelining and ship building. it's cheap and robust. having the nicest equipment does not result in the nicest weld. practice does. "the welder does not make the weldor"
It is also called a gun.. I work in a fab/machine shop and hear it both ways. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no reason to do it half assed. I'm not saying you need a $3000 unit to do it right. There are other options under a grand that are proven and reliable. Anyone that argues a H/F welder and retrofit TIG gun to be solution hasn't been burned by cheap shitty tools. If you plan to knock out a few projects and then trash it, maybe then. My advise is do it right, do it once. Spend the money on something decent and you will enjoy/find many uses out of it for years to come.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

IMO

AHP sells a nice TIG welder based upon the reviews I have seen. It is very similar to the Longevity TIG I have had for 4 years. They are sold at Lowes and Amazon and tons of other retailers. For $750 they are a pretty good deal. The whole plasma/TIG quality debacle around 2008 issues have been resolved. Quality has greatly improved on the Chinese welders.

Here is a discussion of real world users of the Chinese TIG welders.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...e-used-own-one!

Last edited by aknovaman; 01-14-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Ive been using an Everlast PowerPro 256 TIG/Plasma/Stick I bought in 2010 and so far have made about 20 thin wall aluminum intake manifolds with it. I am very happy with it and it was only about $1700. Its had two breakdowns, both from the same thing, a certain chip blows and you need to swap it out to fix it. Costs about $5. Totally worth it in my opinion and only takes a few minutes. Has happened twice in 4 years. Im not sure if they've fixed it in their latest design but even if they havent I would still recommend the welder.

I weld up the intakes as fast as I can so I dont spend alot of time making perfect stack of dimes, but you certainly could if that was the desire.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

ive got the thermal arc 95s. its an inverter scratch start tig setup. you can purchase it for under 500 bucks and it will arc weld too. the only problem is that you are limited to 95 amps. for what I use it for though ive never had a problem.ive never used the harbor freight set up so I wont comment on it.in the end its your choice but there are some decently affordable options out there
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm a boilermaker and weld/fabricate for a living. I weld x-ray code work everyday and I've never done anything else for work. I say that to back up that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to welders. 5 years ago I bought a miller dynasty 200dx for personal use because I got tired of turning people away that wanted me to fix stuff for them and also for my own use. I've paid for the dynasty at least 5 times over easily. You get what you pay for and I'm not saying everyone needs a dynasty as they are complex machines but save yourself the headache of going cheap. It'll only make the learning curve steeper and perhaps impossible.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Dynasty 200DX here. Maybe 1 hr tops useage. Now it sits. LOL
Old 02-08-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Dynasty 200DX here. Maybe 1 hr tops useage. Now it sits. LOL
For sale? A extra machine isn't a bad thing.

Quick Reply: Tig welder opinions