Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Kobalt vs Craftsman?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kobalt vs Craftsman?

I have a set of Craftsman sockets and Rachets I bought about 10 years ago. It has served me well for the most part, but as I wrenching more and more, they seem to be letting me down (finishing a basement right now, and tap-cons are taking a toll on my sockets).

I'm getting tired of driving twice the distance and dealing with mall traffic to replace a part when it fails.

I have a lowes about 2 miles from my house, and I've been checking out their socket sets. They look nice, but they're not "Made in the USA" like my current set.

Can anybody compare the Kobalt tools to craftsman? Is their warranty as hassle free?

Im tempted to put the craftsman back in the box and use it as a backup and start over.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Teching In

I got a set of Kobalt wrenches and really like them. I needed a second set as I was tired of taking my "homework" box back and fourth from work. After a few sessions I left the Kobalts in the work box and put the Craftsmans in the home box. I've exchanged (3) Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchets from 2009-2012. Got sick of that crap and bought a used Snap On off ebay.

I can't speak of the warranty on Kobalt as I've only have the wrenches a few months. Something tells me they will be easy to deal with. I haven't met too many big box employees that give a crap. Do a search for Kobalt tools. They say "hassle free guarantee."
Old 03-06-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shaggy2dope
I got a set of Kobalt wrenches and really like them. I needed a second set as I was tired of taking my "homework" box back and fourth from work. After a few sessions I left the Kobalts in the work box and put the Craftsmans in the home box. I've exchanged (3) Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchets from 2009-2012. Got sick of that crap and bought a used Snap On off ebay.

I can't speak of the warranty on Kobalt as I've only have the wrenches a few months. Something tells me they will be easy to deal with. I haven't met too many big box employees that give a crap. Do a search for Kobalt tools. They say "hassle free guarantee."
Good to know. To add to my frustrations, I drove out of my way to sears this afternoon to replace the socket I stripped: I was told to go ahead and grab it.... Only to find out they were out of 3/8" drive 5/16" sockets (in both 6 and 12 pt).

They were less than helpful and told me they might be in stock next Wednesday.

Sears certainly isn't what it used to be. No wonder they're going under.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craftsman is chi-com like all the others. All about the dollar. Kobalt has served me well so far. Yes, Lowes is convenient but, I feel they're pretty good and will buy again.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I started out with craftsmen stuff, most of my stuff is snap on now. If I do need something I just drive down to harbor frieght. Cheaper then craftsmen and same lifetime warranty on hand tools.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:04 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as ching chong tools go, craftsman I think is the best. That said, I don't mind some of the other brand wrenches and sockets, but I pretty much hate their ratchets. However, craftsman ratchets are not what they used to be either. I cant afford to exclusively use mac, snapon, matco or the like, but I am considering buying a set of snapon ratchets to go with my ching chong non-moving parts tools.

My torque wrenches are snap on.

The only screwdrivers I have found that I like in a ching chong brand are the craftsman professional grade.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Teching In

^^^^^I agree. Get your wrenches and sockets from whoever as long as they have a warranty. Get your hammers and simple crap from long duck dong.

Do yourself a favor and get some Snap On ratchets. They are so awesome you kind of want to yell about it. I just did a brake job on my girls VW and there is no way it would have gotten done without the 1/2" drive Snap On ratchet. There are so many teeth inside, you barely have to rotate to grab another. I got a 1/4" drive off ebay. It had a dead spot so the seller refunded me. I called Snap On and they sent me a rebuild kit for free. Bam, free "new" ratchet. I don't recommend this method and felt slightly dirty for doing it, but I have $1500 or so in various Snap On tools purchased off the truck, so I figured I was due a mulligan.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Does anybody know off hand how many teeth the snap on ratchets have? I was playing around with the Kobalt ratchets and found they have 72 teeth (a huge upgrade over the craftsman cheapo ratchets that came in my kit).

The snap on sounds nice, and it seems the customer service is spot-on (I didnt realize they were selling on their own online store now....). But if their ratchets are similar in teeth count, it might be more convenient to replace it with the Kobalt (seeing as I could replace it within hours vs waiting for shopping)
Old 03-07-2015, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

All of my ratchets are newer snap on with fine teeth in them and I LOVE them. The harbor freight ratchets dont seem bad at all for the money, but obviously dont compare to high dollar stuff.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kobalt tools are made by Snap On for Lowes stores. Used them, had no problems.Perfect for home,not really professional grade tho. $0.02
Old 03-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak for the Kobalt stuff directly.

I have had Craftsman stuff for over 20 years, and have had good luck with it in the past. My wrenching has also kicked up a notch over the last couple of years.

During those last couple of years, I have been experiencing the comments that others have made, where the quality of Craftsman stuff has gone down hill dramatically. At least some of it has.

Don't know if you use your tools professionally, but if you have truly kicked up your wrenching a notch, or two or three, and your budget can support it, It might be worthwhile to you to start buying from your local Snap-On or Matco vendor, or who ever your favorite professional tool line is.

Cheap tools are never a bargain.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scout2000
I can't speak for the Kobalt stuff directly.

I have had Craftsman stuff for over 20 years, and have had good luck with it in the past. My wrenching has also kicked up a notch over the last couple of years.

During those last couple of years, I have been experiencing the comments that others have made, where the quality of Craftsman stuff has gone down hill dramatically. At least some of it has.

Don't know if you use your tools professionally, but if you have truly kicked up your wrenching a notch, or two or three, and your budget can support it, It might be worthwhile to you to start buying from your local Snap-On or Matco vendor, or who ever your favorite professional tool line is.

Cheap tools are never a bargain.
I don't think I've kicked it up enough to really splurge... And craftsman was really good enough for me. But it upsets me when I bring my "made in the usa" socket or wrench and it gets replaced by their cheaper alternatives.

My local Sears seems to be really terrible with stock as well... Let alone the kids who work there who cant tell a Phillips head from a flat head.

I think I'll roll the dice with Kobalt for now. Lowes is closer, and their selection seems to be pretty good (at least for sockets, etc.... Specialty items I may have to stick with sears).

I haven't had much luck with Harbor freight.

I ended up buying a 10 piece socket set from lowes last weekend, only because Sears was out. Initially, I'll say, the sockets fit the nuts better.... And I like their color coated sockets.

I started this thread to see if people had any real longer term experience with their products (warranty, replacement, quality etc), so I could just buy one of those 300piece kits.... But I think I'll be more cautious and buy as I go....
Old 03-09-2015, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Ive got some Kobalt stuff at home. I like most of it. Im like everyone else on the ratchets though. if you dont want to spend the big bucks for a Matco, Cornwell or Snappy(dont bother with Mac unless they have changed in the past few years) you can go with a gear wrench brand or armstrong. last time I checked Armstrong were still made in the states by Kingsley Tool co. They also made the gear wrench and Matco ratchets, Not sure about now since Gear wrench and Matco are both made overseas. This company used to make most of Matco, armstrong and a lot of Craftsman's hardline.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Teching In

If you guys want to come over to the garagejournal forum, we have a tool truck equivalent thread going. It shows all the rebrands the truck guys are selling under their own name.

If you're looking for Snap-on sockets, Snap on bought williams tools back in 93 and their USA made sockets roll off the exact same line as the snap-on's. Williams was the one who made sockets for Kobalt in the beginning.

sockets here....http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Willia...ic-Socket-Sets

Here is a set of Williams hard handles which are the old snap on shape. You can't beat them for under 90 bucks....

http://www.industrialsupplydenver.com/wi19picoscse.html

If you want snap-on Dual 80 ratchets, the Bahco comfort grip have the exact same gear set, and they're dirt cheap.

http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Bahco-...et-Drive-Tools

If you're looking for the snap-on older 36 tooth, the williams are dirt cheap as well.

http://www.industrialsupplydenver.com/wi3enflchrau.html

Here is the link to the tool truck equivalent thread with all the part numbers...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=249851
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Here are some of the companies Snap-on owns...

I hope you guys save a pile of cash from that thread.
Attached Thumbnails Kobalt vs Craftsman?-snap-williams.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 01:07 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the links man.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Would you say the Snap-on industrial brands are just as good as Snap-on? Or would they be assembled using cheaper materials?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Would you say the Snap-on industrial brands are just as good as Snap-on? Or would they be assembled using cheaper materials?
Quote taken from a snap on industrial dealer.

Originally Posted by ToolsDelivered.com
Snap-On and the USA made Williams are ounce for ounce identical in steel strength and come out of the same plant off the same machines using the same raw material grades.

The differences are, and the only differences are the level of finish, handle styles, and stampings.

Snap-On tools are polished to be flawless before the are chromed or oxide finished, and when chromed they are nickel chromed heavily. This high quality finishing increases the cost 2 -3 times over Williams. As they say, there is a difference and side by side it is clearly obvious. Snap-On is jewelry.

Williams is not finished in the raw as well as Snap-On before finishing, chrome or oxide, and they are single plated chrome. It keeps the cost down for industrial users that don't want to pay for a high level of finish. 100s of millions $$$ in chrome Snap-On are sold for cash to heavy industry every year world wide.

Williams Global "aka imported" is the equivalent of Blue Point and it has to exceed 85% of the wear an stress benchmarks of the USA made equivalents. Williams Global is the high value - low cost line.

Snap-On is Street Rod, Williams is just a Rat Rod.

I'm out.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JohnnyFbomb
Quote taken from a snap on industrial dealer.
Very helpful. Looks like I may be buying me a new screwdriver set...

My father has the Snap-On screwdrivers he bought years and years ago. Same handle style, and they just feel great in the hand.

I was looking at the CDI torque wrenches already.

I guess I just have to look into warranty and warranty replacement differences between the brands, and go from there.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

That is a sweet link

Quick Reply: Kobalt vs Craftsman?