Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Motive bleeder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motive bleeder?

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the motive bleeder? I hate having to wait for friends/family to do simple bleeding tasks.... And using a vacuum isn't always ideal they say...

The motive looks pretty promising, but I wasn't sure if anybody has any experience?

My car is well overdue for a break flush... And I'm even wondering if it'll help with the clutch fluid....
Old 07-01-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

You can build one for less than $20. See YouTube vid ilink in my sig.

Build one of these and mod it slightly for brake applications.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Clever. I know motive sells the adapters separately, so perhaps I can make it all work....

The chain just worries me some!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can use anything to clamp it down for a tight seal. I used it to bleed a t56 clutch master cylinder on a infinity g35 swap. No room for anything bulky.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks cool but it doesn't have a pressure gauge.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

T fitting in line and a cheap gage would work but I don't really see a need for a gage as you can feel how much restriction, if any, by how hard it is to pump it.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

I wonder if anybody has replacement part numbers for the caps of the master cylinders.... Then you could just drill through the center, insert the barb, and have a custom fit adaptor...
Old 07-02-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Auto part stores have catalogs of them as well as the help section has them too.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm less creative when it comes to tool creation, so I just spent the cash on the Motive bleeder.

I've used it for brakes and it works like a charm. The GM set with the standard Motive 0108 cap fits our brake master cylinder perfectly.

It doesn't fit the stock clutch fluid reservoir so I've been doing research to find the adapter so I can use it for the clutch. I believe it's the 1109 cap, however I'm not 100% certain yet. That being said, the reviews on using it for clutch bleeding have been mixed -- I want to give it a shot however expect I might find that I still prefer the two-man bleed.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I watched someone use a $40 bleeder on a 01 F-body from Griots Garage this week that was about as easy as it gets. One person operation and never touched the brake pedal. Requires hook up to a compressed air source.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I watched someone use a $40 bleeder on a 01 F-body from Griots Garage this week that was about as easy as it gets. One person operation and never touched the brake pedal. Requires hook up to a compressed air source.
I tried the harbor freight version... It didn't seem to have enough vacuum to get the fluid moving
Old 07-21-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motive bleeder does not use vacuum. It uses pressure.

I use one for both my brakes and my clutch. Its amazing. That in conjunction with a remote clutch bleeder makes doing a fluid flush amazingly easy. Just pump it up, crack the bleeder, and wait until clean fluid comes out. Same with the brakes. I normally give the clutch a few bleeds the normal way when Im done. But never get anymore air of it. So I should probably just trust it haha.

I think I got in a group buy and got the motive bleeder, and a clutch master cylinder attachment for a really great price. No way would I bother building one for the cost of buying one. Its a really nice product in my opinion.

J.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Motive bleeder does not use vacuum. It uses pressure.

I use one for both my brakes and my clutch. Its amazing. That in conjunction with a remote clutch bleeder makes doing a fluid flush amazingly easy. Just pump it up, crack the bleeder, and wait until clean fluid comes out. Same with the brakes. I normally give the clutch a few bleeds the normal way when Im done. But never get anymore air of it. So I should probably just trust it haha.

I think I got in a group buy and got the motive bleeder, and a clutch master cylinder attachment for a really great price. No way would I bother building one for the cost of buying one. Its a really nice product in my opinion.

J.
Two questions:
1: do you have the part number for the clutch cap? The universal was a PITA to make work...

2: how do you clean yours
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

1) I found my original email from 2007 haha. I ordered the following:
0108 Custom GM <- This came with the correct clutch master cylinder cap.
1100 Euro Adapter <- This was for the brake master cylinder.

So slightly backwards from my memory. I ordered the kit for the clutch, then added the brake adapter. I HIGHLY recommend you putting a quality disconnect on the line to make swapping the adapters easy. Im not 100% sure how they come now, but I have mine set up with stainless NPT fittings.

2) When Im finished using it, I properly dispose of any left over fluid, spray down some clean paper towels with brake cleaner, and wipe out the container as best I can. Since I use the same fluid for brakes as I do for clutch...its not a big deal. For a while, I was using racing blue clutch fluid. So I was more **** about cleaning it.

J.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
1) I found my original email from 2007 haha. I ordered the following:
0108 Custom GM <- This came with the correct clutch master cylinder cap.
1100 Euro Adapter <- This was for the brake master cylinder.

So slightly backwards from my memory. I ordered the kit for the clutch, then added the brake adapter. I HIGHLY recommend you putting a quality disconnect on the line to make swapping the adapters easy. Im not 100% sure how they come now, but I have mine set up with stainless NPT fittings.

2) When Im finished using it, I properly dispose of any left over fluid, spray down some clean paper towels with brake cleaner, and wipe out the container as best I can. Since I use the same fluid for brakes as I do for clutch...its not a big deal. For a while, I was using racing blue clutch fluid. So I was more **** about cleaning it.

J.
Very helpful. I'll have to order that adaptor.

Now they have brass screw on adaptors.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ah yes...I remember now. I switched out those for stainless because the female adapter split on me when I was tightening it down. I had some seepage while under pressure, so I grabbed the wrenches and put what I thought was just the tiniest twist on it to stop the seeping, and it cracked, spewed brake fluid all over my freshly painted engine bay haha.

My fault completely... I was careless and in a hurry. This was also my second swap car, so I had used it tons before that. I guess I over tightened it and cracked it a tiny bit, then finished it off when I tried to tighten it more.

Otherwise, I still love the thing. I just used it the other day to flush my clutch master cylinder and it works perfect still.

J.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put a hole in a spare master cylinder cap, and thread in an air fitting. Set the regulator for about 20 psi. Good to go. I actually use a small air tank, so I can turn the pressure on when I am ready.

Name:  Onemanbleedercap_zpsdfb5b0a4.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  4.08 MB

Name:  Bleedingcaliper2_zpse37606c5.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  3.89 MB
Old 08-13-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting work chair/seat.

Upside down bucket in a mop bucket.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:01 PM