Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Digital calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital calipers

I am going to start school soon and need a 6in digital calipers and suggestions?
Mitutoyo or snap on are my two choices
Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been in metrology for along time. Mitutoyo use to make a good product but as of the last few years it appears they have went down.

Never had any experience with Snap On metrology equipment, a guess would be someone is manuafuring and private labeling for them.

To me it comes down to feel, how smoothly the slide reacts. It's hard to beat Brown & Sharpe.

I know you say your set on a brand but I would purchase a cheap set of Shars Brand for $25.00. They are of decent quality and on par with the Mitutoyo of today.

Last edited by brobinson216; 02-04-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added a tidbit
Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

I bought a set of mitutoyos back in 98 when I was still in high school. Back then they were the best IMO. But IO havent bought a precision tool in years. A snap on is going to be a rebranded something else so you shoudl look around on that one. I know the Matco caliper is a cheapie that is rebranded
Old 02-05-2016, 12:35 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy once, buy Starrett.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:35 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I'm sure the accuracy of the digital stuff is good, but while I'm not "old", I am old school and prefer the mechanical caliper.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:46 AM
Teching In

I like digital calipers for their quick metric to SAE conversion and that you can 0 them anywhere so they're easy to use to measure changes without doing math (or you can use them to do the math for you, which could be a hassle if you're machining something and dirty...).

Otherwise it seems like when you really need them they always have a dead battery. I reach for my dial calipers more often than digital.

FWIW, recently the difference between a lot of the cheapies and the expensive ones have gotten much smaller. I'm not sure what you're planning on using them for but I typically have half a dozen cheap ones around the shop and just keep them wherever I'm using them and haven't had any issues that I could trace to accuracy or repeat-ability.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I prefer Mitutoyo but can't speak to their quality of late. I have a pair that's 20 years old and they still work great and always make calibration. A useful tip, if you plan on using them alot try and get a set that has the carbide jaw faces. They don't wear and stay very sharp which is useful when using them to scribe with.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:12 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
I prefer Mitutoyo but can't speak to their quality of late. I have a pair that's 20 years old and they still work great and always make calibration. A useful tip, if you plan on using them alot try and get a set that has the carbide jaw faces. They don't wear and stay very sharp which is useful when using them to scribe with.
This is a very good tip. I have a cheaper set that I use just for this purpose. As long as it isn't some plastic bullshit, the cheap ones still work very good. For most of us "garage type guys" the cheap ones will typically do everything you need them to do. I do have some starrett stuff but it only comes out when I'm doing something very precise. Otherwise, my cheap calipers are typically used, especially when i do scribe. Which I do a lot cause I have some equipment that allows me to make most of the **** I use and don't buy.

Quick Reply: Digital calipers