Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Fabricating a sheet metal intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabricating a sheet metal intake

My initial plan is to build an aluminum sheet metal intake for my LM7. Reasoning is that I'm in school and need a project. Since I'll be building my LM7 soon I wanted to do a custom intake. I found premade billet alum. flanges online with a cathedral port. My issue is what to use for a runner and how to incorporate the fuel injector into the runner. FABRICATORS chime in please. Doing all alum tig myself.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a link to a project I started & stopped on a few times.It's not terribly far from being able to try out, but I just haven't had time to get back to.

I used stainless tubing for the runners, which I'm connecting to a plastic factory intake I cut up with rubber connectors. Was making thin stainless plenums, but couldn't control the warping, so switched to aluminum plenums with bolt on flanges. Will have a 2 into1 connector for single throttle body up front.
You could pick a premade cast aluminum intake with injector bungs & cut it up above the injectors. Also could check with southpaw on post 22 of my link.

The cross ram dual plenum design is complicated, but is the best for overall low to high power output.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-intake-3.html

Quick Reply: Fabricating a sheet metal intake