Search

Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

spark plug tool

Old 07-02-2004, 08:14 AM   #1
pmh
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 0
Default spark plug tool

I saw a special spark plug tool ( shortened socket ) in a magizine. The plug stick through the socket and you use a 3/4 wrench on the hex portion of the socket. Seems like it could be good. Has anyone ever tried one? As much "fun" as the 6 and 8 are I'm looking for an extra shortcut.

PMH
Old 07-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to hourang Send a message via MSN to hourang Send a message via Yahoo to hourang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmh
I saw a special spark plug tool ( shortened socket ) in a magizine. The plug stick through the socket and you use a 3/4 wrench on the hex portion of the socket. Seems like it could be good. Has anyone ever tried one? As much "fun" as the 6 and 8 are I'm looking for an extra shortcut.

PMH
uhhh this has been around for years, you get them in socket sets, all of them have a rubber ring in them to hold the spark plug and a hex on the end for just using a wrench on. is this something different?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
On The Tree

If you remove the coil packs off of the pass side you can change all plugs from the top with a standard spark plug socket and 3/8 swivel head rachet. If you do not remove the coil packs you are going to have a hard time.
FRA, Predator, Eldelbrock LCA, Edlebrock STB, Edlebrock LCA, ASP pulley, Comp Cams 224 224 581" 581" cam, 918 springs, Titanium retainers, Flowtech Coated headers and offroad y, Ported TB, BMR boxed SFC, and Speed INC tuning, 390 RWHP 379ftlbs SAE corrected.
derekdpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
TECH Addict

I have seen similiar advertising for a shorter spark plug socket that works with a closed wrench vs a ratchet and the closed wrench has a ratchet device (so it is a ratchet but is the size and shape of a closed wrench).

But I have not changed my plugs yet and do not know if it would help.
ActionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
pmh
On The Tree

Quote:
uhhh this has been around for years, you get them in socket sets, all of them have a rubber ring in them to hold the spark plug and a hex on the end for just using a wrench on. is this something different?
Yeah, This was short, about a little over half as long as the "standard spark plug socket with the rubber. The plug actually goes though and sticks out the oposite side of the socket. It can't be used witha rachet. You have to use a wrench with it.

pmh
Old 07-02-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
On The Tree

If you have headers that socket will not work weel. IMHO
FRA, Predator, Eldelbrock LCA, Edlebrock STB, Edlebrock LCA, ASP pulley, Comp Cams 224 224 581" 581" cam, 918 springs, Titanium retainers, Flowtech Coated headers and offroad y, Ported TB, BMR boxed SFC, and Speed INC tuning, 390 RWHP 379ftlbs SAE corrected.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
TECH Junkie

Trader Rating: 10
Send a message via MSN to chupr0kabra

The last time I did mine, I used these:

3/8" ratchet
3/8" swivel
spark plug socket
10mm gear wrench (to remove the coil pack rail on the passenger side)
10mm socket (I think that's the right size for the AIR bolts...can't remember at the moment)
3" extension
6" extension
A blanket (to lie on while you reach in to get 6 and 8)
A magnetic retrieval tool (you will likely drop stuff during your adventure)

Since this was the first time I removed the coil packs, it took a few hours, especially because I didn't have the gear wrench at the time.

FWIW, my spark plug socket has a molded "nut" on the back of it, so you can slip a box wrench around the end. In that tight space for 6 and 8, I doubt I would have been able to use it anyway.

-Mike
chupr0kabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
On The Tree

man I just used a 1/4 " ratchet with a 10 mm deepwell socket, and an extentsion, to remove the coil packs. I just put the socket on and then stick the extension in the socket. It doesn't snap att of the way in but it takes the bolts out no problem.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:22 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
38, back, carlo, monte, plug, ratchet, remove, size, socket, spark, sparkplugs, swivel, wrench