Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

do you have a lift and what kind

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do you have a lift and what kind

I'm finishing my new garage and i'm looking at lifts. I'm thinking a 2 post bend pak. What do you guys have for a lift ?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Had a Backyard buddy for 3 years now, no problems. When I move out I'll leave this one for my dad and get a 2 post instead. So I can do all types of work. Hard to do suspension work on a 4-post

JEFF
Attached Thumbnails do you have a lift and what kind-cobra-011_internet.jpg  
Old 09-07-2004, 12:32 AM
9 Second Club

Default Lift

I have a benwil two post. I am no expert as this is my first lift but what I chose was a two post clear floor. As you can see in the pics (I'm just finishing up construction of the hoist room) a clear floor utilizes an upper bar for the chain to cross over to the other post. One benefit is that you have clear unobstructed floor space when not in use, just slide the arms to the side. One potential problem is that it is a lot taller (mine is 12 feet) so i built my room 16' tall. Also maybe some vehicles could be tall enough to hit the top but you can see a small pipe just below the cross bar. If you put a slight amount of upward pressure on this bar it stops the lift. I have lifted full size p/u's and suburbans without any height problems. The other type of two posts utilize a similar cross bar on the floor for the chain to travel to the other post which is always there (no clear floor) and is not as tall. I installed it myself and I can share other install issues but I don't want to bore you as you may already know all this. As far as brands there are a lot of choices, dunno which is best. I am very happy with mine but i bought it used from a dealership.

Name:  000_0867.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  52.0 KB

Old 09-07-2004, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've owned a www.backyardbuddy.com four post lift for over five years, we've done all kinds of mods including suspension mods with no problems. A Backyard Buddy lift cost a little more then others but I feel there worth it, they also make two post lifts but for safety concerns I went with a four post. JMO

Al
Old 09-07-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one from NAPA. It was around $2900, including installation. It goes on sale about two or three times a year. It is a two post and is rated at 9000 lbs. It has both a symmetric and asymmetric configuration. Definetly go for the clear floor style, otherwise you are stepping over the cable tray all day. This style required a 12' ceiling, so I built the room with a 13' ceiling, no problems. One thing you really need to define, is the minimum floor thickness. I believe that my lift required a 4" minimum floor thickness. A 4 post may require less floor thickness since you are spreading the weight over 4 pad areas instead of two. Just to be safe, I went with a 6 inch floor, no cracks so far. It is used a couple of times a week and I lift a K2500 extended cab long bed pickup with ease. On the subject of safety, I highly recommend some post stands, I have 4, these can be adjusted to meet the frame/suspension and will prevent the vehicle from rocking. Also let you support things like axles when you remove the springs. On the down side, this lift has square lifting pads and on one occassion I drove in too close to the arms and the corner of the pad went thru the tire sidewall ( REALLY DUMB MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Cost me a tire and the damaged one had less than 5,000 miles on it. See if you can find one with round pads and be sure to drive in to the lift with your eyes open. My tire guy is still laughing! Just checked the NAPA sale flyer. It is on sale thru the end of September for $2899. Unfortunately, they now want an additional $375 for installation. Only real issue with installation is drilling thru the concrete, otherwise it is pretty straight forward.

Last edited by george88gta; 09-07-2004 at 07:57 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I work at a GM dealership, and just instaled a rotary 2 post lift asymetical style, and highley recomend the rotorys, they have great customer service ( I called them a couple times during instal) definetly go with asymetical style, it makes it easyer to have the door open without the post intefiring.

George: A mech with 30 yrs expirience did that this summer, your not alone!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I have a Bend Pak http://www.bendpak.com/product_info.isg?products_id=750
I think I paid about $2500 shipped.
Love it
Old 09-20-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We have two bend pak 2 post lifts and and a bend pak drive on 4 post lift that we love and hardly have any probelms with
Old 09-21-2004, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i have a 12000 lb Rotary and love it, it cost around $3600 but it was worth it, i dont like going the cheap route esp. when i'm hanging my 7000lb pickup over my head.
great product.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.horist.com/images/headcam...s/IMG_2091.htm

Rotary Lift, not sure on max weight, but my dad used it in the past to lift our chevy conversion van ... I believe he got it for just over 2k (this was back in the early 90s)

He basically cut the ceiling out, reinforced alot of hte rafters, then cut the rafters out that were in the way... can lift all the way up to like 6'5" or so
Old 09-21-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2 post Eagle that is a 9000lb, with the floor plate, is 9ft tall overall. it works great in my garage where the ceiling is just under 11ft. I paid 2350 of Ebay new with free shipping.

Quick Reply: do you have a lift and what kind