Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

welding stainless

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welding stainless

I got a new lincoln 135 with gas attachments. I want to MIG weld some 16 gauge stainless tubing. I cant seem to find the setting to use to weld with .030 stainless wire. Anyone have any tips? Arc settings are A B C D and speed setting are 1 -10. Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aint gonna happen to get a good weld. That welder doesnt create enough heat to heat the base metal hot enough. Aluminum and stainless you have to either TIG or preheat with a torch to about 200° to MIG.

If you want to give it a shot use one step hotter than 16 guage for mild. It just aint gonna make a pretty or strong weld.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Aint gonna happen to get a good weld. That welder doesnt create enough heat to heat the base metal hot enough. Aluminum and stainless you have to either TIG or preheat with a torch to about 200° to MIG.

If you want to give it a shot use one step hotter than 16 guage for mild. It just aint gonna make a pretty or strong weld.
Really? Most of the guys in the FI section are using MIG welders similiar to mine (3200HD) or the same and they are using the same tubing. How weak would it be? Would it be better to use the flux cored wire (if it is even possible)? Or should I just stick with mild steel and hope that it doesnt rust?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will work but if you do it it isnt real pretty. If it isnt "load bearing" or under a lot of stress the welds will be fine just dont grind them down because you will see that you get VERY little penetration on the weld.

You can try, worst case you are out a little bit of stainless tubing.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've welded stainless 16 ga tubing a bunch with my craftsman 120amp MIG. Works just fine. Doesn't work any different than mild steel IMO, just not very good overhead. What gas are you using? I use regular 75/25, same for mild steel. There are also 2 different stainless alloy's. I wanna say mine is 316.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

hmmm....i built my STB out of stainless using a millermatic MiG....got very good penetration and a decent looking bead
Old 03-23-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've welded stainless with my mig, I use the tri-mix gas and it looks/holds just fine. No problems at all with going all the way through 16ga.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used a tri gas helium mix and it dint penetrate for **** no matter what I did using the same welder as he is using.

Maybe I was using a different stainless alloy???
Old 03-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I've wanted to try this Self Shielded Flux Core Stainless Steel wire with my little flux core machine but, don't have anything stainless that I need to weld.

I didn't even know anything like this was made and found this place with a google search. It's the only place I've seen with this wire. There are flux core wires for just about all stainless alloys at the link below.

Someone try it out and let us all know.

http://www.dynamictechnologies.net/ssfc.htm
Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

I'd really like to know if any of thse flux cored wires work. I work in a welding supply store and the only flux core stainless I know of still need a shilding gas.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I've wanted to try this Self Shielded Flux Core Stainless Steel wire with my little flux core machine but, don't have anything stainless that I need to weld.

I didn't even know anything like this was made and found this place with a google search. It's the only place I've seen with this wire. There are flux core wires for just about all stainless alloys at the link below.

Someone try it out and let us all know.

http://www.dynamictechnologies.net/ssfc.htm
I would be willing to try it when I redo my exhaust, but Ive seen the difference between flux cored and MIG gas welds and Im going with the gas shielded MIG welds for my FMIC piping since its going to be the first thing you see in the engine bay.
Is it better to use 100% Argon or a CO2/ Argon blend for stainless?
Old 03-25-2005, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Ive welded stainless with both mild steel wire, and stainless wire on a MIG. Ive always used whats called Argoshield light here. I think its like 95% Argon, with 5% something else.

Never had any problems. Obviously if you weld the mild steel wire, it will rust a bit. Fairly easy to do though. Its no different that welding mild steel.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I would be willing to try it when I redo my exhaust, but Ive seen the difference between flux cored and MIG gas welds and Im going with the gas shielded MIG welds for my FMIC piping since its going to be the first thing you see in the engine bay.
Is it better to use 100% Argon or a CO2/ Argon blend for stainless?
I've welded quite a bit(mild) with flux core wire and besides a little extra cleanup around the weld area I don't see any visual problems with the welds. It's nice not to have to worry about gas.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I've welded quite a bit(mild) with flux core wire and besides a little extra cleanup around the weld area I don't see any visual problems with the welds. It's nice not to have to worry about gas.
The stainless Im working with is 304. They dont have a flux cored wire with that alloy that I saw. Would the flux cored be as easy to work with or easier (as opposed to gas)? Ive heard it is harder to see the puddle when you use flux cored wire. Im all for it if it will make it easier.
Cant do any practicing for another week or two as Im in the middle of moving to a new house and then my girl's family are coming down to repaint the already nice looking walls.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by greentahoe
The stainless Im working with is 304. They dont have a flux cored wire with that alloy that I saw. Would the flux cored be as easy to work with or easier (as opposed to gas)? Ive heard it is harder to see the puddle when you use flux cored wire. Im all for it if it will make it easier.
Cant do any practicing for another week or two as Im in the middle of moving to a new house and then my girl's family are coming down to repaint the already nice looking walls.
For thin pipe the flux core would probably be harder actually. It burns a little hotter since there is no gas blowing on it and may be difficult to weld thin metal without burning through. I've welded exhaust pipe(mild) with my flux core with no problem but, any thinner and it may be tough.

For 304 Stainless I think you need a 308 filler material and they do have some of those alloys in the flux core wire. It'd probably be best to call them to see what they recommend.

If you got gas already though it'd probably be easier to just use it and a non flux core wire.

About seeing the bead, I've never noticed any problem seeing it with flux core. I haven't welded with regular gas wire though so I can't compare.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a new lincoln 135 with gas attachments. I want to MIG weld some 16 gauge stainless tubing. I cant seem to find the setting to use to weld with .030 stainless wire. Anyone have any tips? Arc settings are A B C D and speed setting are 1 -10. Thanks
Regular mild steel flux core will weld stainless exhaust pipe with no troubles. I have done it many times with results no different than welding mild steel pipe. Remove the gas nozzle when using flux core.That gives you great visibilty of the puddle. Just be careful not to touch your work with the torch.

Steve
Old 04-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

If you weld stainless with a mild steel wire thou the mild steel will rust away eventually. Stailess is an agressive metal that eats the metal that surounds it. Its call dissimular metal corrosion. Just something else you should think about. What are you trying to weld thats made of stainless?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have a gas setup for my home wire welder, so I can only use flux core. I haven't had any issues with it other than spatter. I can see the puddle just fine, not taking into account my old-man eyes...

Get some extra pipe for practice if you can. Try different speeds/temps. Hold your gun a little closer or a little farther. There's no substitue for time on the gun. We can tell you a lot, but practice helps immensely. Start hot or start cold and work the other way on your settings until you get it right.

I wouldn't think you'd have to have EXACTLY the same SS filler as SS base material. It won't blow up or disintegrate before your eyes. Something close would likely do. You MAY have some issues with cracking, but I'd have to defer to somebody who has gone through this on their car.

If you used mild steel wire, yes, you'd get rust. That would negate some of the maintenance-free aspects of your installation, but it would a good combat fix.

Dunno...your call.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by duece_bigalo01
If you weld stainless with a mild steel wire thou the mild steel will rust away eventually. Stailess is an agressive metal that eats the metal that surounds it. Its call dissimular metal corrosion. Just something else you should think about. What are you trying to weld thats made of stainless?
Intercooler piping. Im going to order some of the stainless fluxcored wire and give that a shot. I'll update you guys as to how it works.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by Muffracing
I'd really like to know if any of thse flux cored wires work. I work in a welding supply store and the only flux core stainless I know of still need a shilding gas.
I did alot of searching around and for most flux core stainless wires you are right, you still need gas. If the stainless flux core wire is not labeled "self shielded" you still need the gas and this is the only place I've found that sells this self shielded variety.

Quick Reply: welding stainless