Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Okay, how about this compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, how about this compressor?

Posted an air compressor question in another thread and received great advice to RUN away from the deal. Here is another one I found locally and seems like a great deal for $160. Any one have experience with this compressor? For those recommending the nice 80 gallon $500 ones, it is out of my price range for the amount of use it will see. I am just an occasional weekend mechanic. Thanks,

Jim K.

Craftsman Model Number model #919-16871
Portable Tank Compressor Type Horizontal compressor
Item Weight 130.0 lbs.

SCFM Delivery:
SCFM Delivery At 40 psi 8.6 SCFM
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi 6.4 SCFM

Tank:
Compressor Tank Capacity 33 gal.
Maximum Compressor psi 150 psi
Compressor Regulator Yes
Compressor Tank Type Horizontal portable

Motor-Engine:
Amps 15.0
Horsepower 6.0 hp
Horsepower, Maximum Developed 6.0 hp
Voltage 120 volts, 60Hz AC

Dimensions:
Height 46-1/2 in.
Width 20-1/2 in.
Length 32 in.

Included with Item:
Air Hammer Yes
Case Yes
Ratchet Yes, 3/8 in.
Wrench Impact wrench
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

I work at sears and sell these compressors. The compressor is good, I havent' seen many returned, if you plan on using the tools it comes with.... that a whole nother story. The impact gun isn't very good along with the ratchet. Right now you should find that one one sale for around 279ish, which i think is a good deal. The only thing with the red tank compressors is most of them are single stage and are really loud, if that doesnt' bother you, I would say go for it, but plan on purchasing a 1/2" impact gun.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the scoop. OSH's had it on sale for $169 and I went back the next day to get it and of course it was gone. IT was their last one. I am now searching again. Thanks for the information.

Jim K.

Originally Posted by tars7
I work at sears and sell these compressors. The compressor is good, I havent' seen many returned, if you plan on using the tools it comes with.... that a whole nother story. The impact gun isn't very good along with the ratchet. Right now you should find that one one sale for around 279ish, which i think is a good deal. The only thing with the red tank compressors is most of them are single stage and are really loud, if that doesnt' bother you, I would say go for it, but plan on purchasing a 1/2" impact gun.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats the one i have. i love it but god damn its loud. i cant wait till it breaks (if it ever does) so i can invest in a quiet belt driven one that uses oil hahaha. honestly, it works GREAT and i have NO complaints....minus its loudness. but that goes hand in hand with cars. loud car, loud impacts, loud air compressor. haha
Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I own this one too. It is OK, but I wish it was a tad bigger. It is VERY noisy, however. I put air in it two weeks ago at 140lbs. today it still has 130lbs of air inside with no use. Consequently, it does not leak very much if that impresses you.

I think they have a belt driven wet compressor that is bigger at the Depo stores; you may want to consider this instead.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

I have one of those big Craftsman, don't know the model # offhand but with a 40-gallon tank. Its oil-less and loud enough to wake the dead. I finally burried it in the back of the storage shed in its own little compartment and ran an air line of 1-inch copper water tubing/pipe with soldered connections to the shop. Its about 75 feet to the shop where the air line goes into a 20 gallon tank. I run my air tools off of this tank with 50 foot ½-inch hose.

The extra 20 gallon tank in the shop provides extra air capacity and keeps pressure drops due to line lenght to a minimum. Its a big improvement over running three 50-foot ½-inch air hoses from the compressor to where ever I was working. When I was using it this way with 150 feet total length of air line, there was ofter a drop in line pressure when under heavy load.

The next air compressor I but will not be oil-less that is for sure.

Quick Reply: Okay, how about this compressor?