Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Good home air compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Good home air compressor?

Hey guys,

I am looking into picking up a home air compressor for the garage. What's a good one to get? What options are most important? What are most of you guys using, and if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

Thanks!
Tim
Old 04-28-2005, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Hey guys,

I am looking into picking up a home air compressor for the garage. What's a good one to get? What options are most important? What are most of you guys using, and if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

Thanks!
Tim
I'm no expert but I went for an upright. It has a 5 hp motor & a two cylinder compressor. I have been told to stay away from oiless types. I got mine used with a bad motor for free. I bought a new motor from northern tool. I think one from home depot wouldn't be bad. I use mine moderately when I am using air tools but then it sits for days without firing up.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im a weekend warrior. mine will sit for 3 months at a time, then get used all week/weekend relentlessly. thats why i opted for the loud *** oil-free air compressor. i got one from sears, smokin deal when i got it (under 300) with a 2 year warranty. i dont have any experience with the home depot stuff, im sure its ok, not sure about its longevity. any of the large name brands that come with some kind of waranty id say youre set. i got a 33 gal, tank. next time im thinking about something larger and quieter which of course will cost me 800+ but this DEFINATLY gets the job done, i just hate it being obnoxiously loud so often.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

get the large home depo one with the oil compressor that is not noisy - about 400.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just like everyone said.... look for something as big as you can afford and fit into your space and then I would go with one with an oiled compressor since they are much quieter. This is important if your compressor will be close to where you're working.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

we have one at the house and it is an oil free one. It is freaking loud but we have had it for years and it still works great
Old 05-23-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

What did you say; I can't hear you.. unfortunately, I have become deaf as a result of a very noisy air compressor I bought from Sears/KMart.....?

PS - Martha is a mutt...
Old 05-25-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
What did you say; I can't hear you.. unfortunately, I have become deaf as a result of a very noisy air compressor I bought from Sears/KMart.....?

PS - Martha is a mutt...
Old 05-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Staging Lane

I have an oil-less Craftsman, 60 gallon that is LOUD! I moved it about 100 feet from where I usuall work in my home shop and its outside in its own little dog house, and I can still hear it.

But it works. It finally wore out the piston/cylinder so it wasn't doing much compressing after 6 or 7 years. A new piston and cylinder, about $35.00 IIRC and 15 minutes to pop them in. It's compressing like a new one.

Huh? What??? Yeah, it's still LOUD!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

This is the one I got, oiled very quiet. I run it at night.

Compressor
Old 05-25-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Diamond Jim
I have an oil-less Craftsman, 60 gallon that is LOUD! I moved it about 100 feet from where I usuall work in my home shop and its outside in its own little dog house, and I can still hear it.

But it works. It finally wore out the piston/cylinder so it wasn't doing much compressing after 6 or 7 years. A new piston and cylinder, about $35.00 IIRC and 15 minutes to pop them in. It's compressing like a new one.

Huh? What??? Yeah, it's still LOUD!
Ya i have a oil-less craftsman thats a 25 gallon.. It is very loud, it gets the job done quite well. I just wish it was a little quieter
Old 06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by code4
I'm no expert but I went for an upright. It has a 5 hp motor & a two cylinder compressor. I have been told to stay away from oiless types. I got mine used with a bad motor for free. I bought a new motor from northern tool. I think one from home depot wouldn't be bad. I use mine moderately when I am using air tools but then it sits for days without firing up.

I second that. If you are only going to use it for changing tires and putting air in your tires and oiless is okay. I have one, but if you want to paint or do alot of grinding do yourself a favor and get a belt driven one.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Unhappy with Campell/Hausfield

I purchased a Campell/Hausfield (60 gal upright) from Home Depot. It was for my home garage, and got very little use. The oil was checked before every use ans was changed as required. The pump seized within the warranty period.

I got nothing but grief trying to get it fixed. The place they sent me to was horrible to deal with. Campell Hausfield was horrible to deal with. Whatever money I saved on the compressor was lost dealing with these fools.

I will never purchase another product from them!

Bob K.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Good to hear because I just bought this one today. My wife bought it for me for Father's Day. Only problem is I got home and didn't realize it had no attachments and NO OIL. By the time I got to mess with it, all the stores that would carry 20 weight were closed. Oh well. I do have one question. There was a rubber cork in the box and I can't figure out where it came from. Looks like something they used temporarily at the factory and it fell in the box. Any ideas. Thanks. Can't wait to tear something apart with it .

Jim K.

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert

Compressor
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Just another note on this compressor. I finally got mine filled with oil and used a 1/4 rachet to put a bench together. I had it in the garage with the doors closed AT NIGHT and you could hold a normal conversation. It was surprisingly quiet. I can't speak for longevity but so far I am thrilled with this thing. I will use it for a cam swap, hopefully, in a week or two. I paid $379 at OSH's in Cali for this one. Good luck.

Jim Kay
Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert

Compressor

Quick Reply: Good home air compressor?