Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

TIG Welder

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIG Welder

After doing some research I finally went to Harbor Freight and bought the TIG Welder, I had heard about on different forums, and seen advertised for $199.00 on the Internet. If anyone goes to buy one print the page from the Internet, because the store I went to didn't have it on sale, and the only way they would give me the sale price was with a printed page from the Internet. As I had a $100.00 + other things I was buying they went and printed off the page for me when I said I wasn't buying anything in that case.

It can TIG up to 130 amps or DC Arc weld to 90 amps (easily uses 1/8" rods). The gas hose/regulator that I use with my MIG welder hooks right up to it. The only thing extra that I had to buy was a 220 volt male plug to go on the power cord.

Everyone said it was worth the money, and I have spent the first week "playing" catch-up on things that haven't been done since my ARC welder went up in glorious flames and large clouds of smoke. DC Arc welding is so much better than AC Arc welding, better welds, better penatration, etc. I finally repaired my rusty boat trailer. I haven't done any real TIG welding yet, just a few pratice things to see how it works. Using the TIG is a heck of a lot easier doing aluminum than the MIG. On the MIG I have to change wire, put the Teflon liner in the hose, then switch it back when I am done.

Oh yeah I also got one of them auto-darking helmets too
Old 05-03-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an awesome deal. I have a Harbor Freight about a hard throw away from my work place. I'll have to go see what's up there. I need a new helmet w/auto darkening...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug Herbert Performance Has Hornell speedglas 9000x for $265 last time I looked. This is the adjustable shade lense. It goes from 9 to 13 and has settings for tig also. I wouldn't buy anything else. I have a hard time using a regular helmet anymore, I'm always waiting for it to lighten.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can not (TIG) weld aluminum with DC. You haft to use AC current with Argon gas . With DC (TIG) you can weld stainless steel with Helium gas and mild steel with argon gas . I weld every day with Tig's and mig's and some stick.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Will the harbor freight one do aluminum ?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
You can not (TIG) weld aluminum with DC. You haft to use AC current with Argon gas . With DC (TIG) you can weld stainless steel with Helium gas and mild steel with argon gas . I weld every day with Tig's and mig's and some stick.
THE HELL I CAN'T!

Maybe you can't, but everybody else can. You need to get outside the little world that is the shop you say you weld at.

When welding aluminum or magnesium surface oxides form which reduces the weld quality. With a TIG you use reverse polarity DC or AC to break up these surface oxides. I will concede that AC welding of aluminum is the most common method, but reverse polarity DC is acceptable and in some applications is recommended.

As for your gas selections, your list is no where near being complete. CO2 for welding steel/stainless steel. and other combinations or argon, helium, hydrogen, CO2 are the more common gases used. In fact the most common gas mix used for welding stainless is Argon with 2%-4% CO2 due to its low cost. Helium or Argon/Helium mix is the recommended mix for welding thin sections and is much more expensive. Besides Helium being lighter than air creates problems of its own when used for welding.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

I have heard of welding steel with 99% balance, and AC with the frequency maxed out for a flatter puddle, but never have I heard of welding aluminum with DC current.

If fact, if you forget to reverse the polarity, the welds are aweful. Post this question on Hobart weld talk, or the Miller Ask Andy forum.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

And with Tig you will need the right Tugston electrode for aluminum and mild steel Green tip with a sharp point for mild steel & stainless and Red tip for aluminum with a ball point and for the little world i work in we produce over $20,000,000.00 a year in welding and have over 100 workers ,You can weld aluminum with any thing you want but we weld to the (amarican welding codes)
Old 05-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
And with Tig you will need the right Tugston electrode for aluminum and mild steel Green tip with a sharp point for mild steel & stainless and Red tip for aluminum with a ball point and for the little world i work in we produce over $20,000,000.00 a year in welding and have over 100 workers ,You can weld aluminum with any thing you want but we weld to the (amarican welding codes)
Just because you work at a sucessful company doesn't make you an expert!

Recommended uses for GTAW (TIG) welding aluminum happen to be: "For AC use EWZr (brown) on critical applications. For DCEP use EWZR (brown) or EWP (green)." You need to study up on AWS codes.

Going on, a EWTh-2 (red) electrode is a Thoriated electrode. These electrodes have a higher melting point and a 50% greater current carrying capacity, good for superior arc starting and arc stability, but do not have the potential to maintain a "rounded ball" shape at the tip. These are not the first choice for use on aluminum.

By the way, I wonder why the best and most expensive TIG welders are AC/DC rather than just AC?

In other words quit trying to BS someone that knows better.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 AM
FormerVendor

DJ, Calm down.

What Randy is saying isnt a lie. I have been running a TIG for 10+ years, and I will be the first to tell you I dont know everything.

Dynastys are an Inverter machine. A red tungsten will get you by. A Green tungsten is a no no! Use Lanthanated with it, the Gold stuff with a sharp point. Just like steel. In fact, I can switch from AC to DC, and use the same tungsten, and not even take it out and sharpen it!

No one is calling you a liar. Knock yourself out, please post pics for us all to learn from welding AL with a DC Waveshape!

Quick Reply: TIG Welder