Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

die grinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default die grinder?

electric, need a fwe suggestions. Not looking for something really expensive, but something I can do some porting and sanding with paper rolls, etc. The dremel really isnt holding up for me, something with a little more power would be nice.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I would reccommend an air powered die grinder, but not everyone has an air compressor. Most electric ¼-inch grinders that will turn high rpms are a little expensive. I bought a couple of cheap ones, but they didn't last. I finally got a the most expensive one Craftsman makes. It's lasted a while with no problem. (I have a hearing problem and I can't use most air die grinders because of the noise frequency).
Old 05-08-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

and links on decent priced ones? i cant use air at the house b/c the compressor isnt big enough..

thanks for the reply
Old 05-25-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Craftsman electric which has served me really
well for years. It's standard 1/4" shank. I use it with a
Variac to slow it down, like for 5/8" sanding drums when
I ported my TB.

It does get bugger hot at the snout bearing under long
use, so I wear welding gloves. But this has not hurt it
any. It's heavy and awkward compared to your cheapo
die grinders, but it is the only Craftsman power tool of
the many I've owned, that I am still on the first one of.

Have you tried putting a regulator (or just a valve)
in the air line up by the grinder, to cut the air draw?
You might be able to work longer with that, presuming
the toolpiece likes lower speeds. It will make the thing
"mushier" but that's not always bad.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dremel.com/HTML/home_fr.html

mabye find an upgraded model. i know they make a "pro" version. if you cant get the job done with a dremel, im honestly curious as to what you are porting. perhaps titainum? haha. I have a 7 year old dremel that spins to 10g, to this day it STILL works like the day i bought it and has no problem cuttin though anything i line up against it.

oh make sure its not that cordless crap, that might be why your struggling. not sure what you have but make sure it plugs into a wall when in use. anything else will suck. and as i said above, dremel is the "best" in the industry for that kinda DIY at home stuff. Mabye a dewalt is better, but you said yourself you dont want to spend too much. I cant see the craftsman being anything other than a relabeled dremel or less.

Last edited by Camaro_Zach; 05-25-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jimmyblue, thanks for the info. Reason about the house compressor is I dont an air grinder. The compressor is actually one my dad made years ago, works pretty well for most little stuff though.

I have a badass dremel, but it just lacks the power that I need. I've been polishing waterpumps lately, and using the dremel is a joke for anything with a sanding roll. I use a drill (until I pickup a electric grinder) with the dremel rolls, aswell as others from other companies.
I found with the dremel that I would go through more rolls, faster, and take less material off, than with the drill, where pressure can be used without the motor slowing down considerably.

The drill just doesnt turn the rpm that I want for using smaller polishing wheels etc.

FWIW, I spent 2hrs on my TB with 80grit rolls and the dremel, even after I spent quite a while on it before, and still have a decent amount of material left. It does look like most ported TBs, but I'm going a little wild i guess.

Quick Reply: die grinder?