Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Car Ramps

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Ramps

I have a car that is very low to the ground and I work on it every weekend. Problem is someone stole my drive up ramps and I cant find any with 18 to 22 inch heighth..( I need to lift the front of my car that far to work under it)
Any suggestions as to where I can get new ramps with enough clearance??
Old 05-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

I don't mean to hijack the thread... just add another question. Are plastic ramps ok? I ask because it the autoparts stores they don't sell the metal ones anymore. Also, where can I get some metal ones?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I have a set of rhino ramps (plastic) that just dont get my car high enough. I am also looking for metal ramps..

Originally Posted by moyam01
I don't mean to hijack the thread... just add another question. Are plastic ramps ok? I ask because it the autoparts stores they don't sell the metal ones anymore. Also, where can I get some metal ones?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

rhino ramps are really the best way to go you can get metal ramps at sears ar northern tool has them too i think but, most of them will not work the cars are just too low if you want to get the car up get jack stands.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Teching In

I have Rhinos now and they Just do not lift the car enough.However I will check out Sears tomorrow and let you know. I dont think there is a Northern Tool here in Calif. My old steel ramps worked well but they were stolen.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mr.Rob
rhino ramps are really the best way to go you can get metal ramps at sears ar northern tool has them too i think but, most of them will not work the cars are just too low if you want to get the car up get jack stands.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:14 AM
Staging Lane

Metal ramps are dangerous. Never, never use them on dirt or grass, and be very careful if you use them on any unleveled or uneven surface. Always use jack stands with them, and make sure you block the wheels.

A friends farther (he was too old to be under a car working anyway) was killed when the metal ramps bent and collapsed one day. They were the typical stamped steel, yellow painted ones that are found everywhere. We don't know why for sure, no one saw it when it happened. The car had wide tires that hung over the side of the ramps, and we figured that the weight was probably on the raised edge of the ramp(s). Metal ramps depend on their shape (bends) for a large part of their strength. Once they bend they are much weaker.

Since this happened I have welded plats to the bottom on my jack stands and metal ramps for them to rest on and have also welded braces on the ramps to give them more strength.

Of course I don’t knowe if the plastic ones are any stronger either.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:47 PM

I got the Rhino ramps from wall mart. work great.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Your SS is very high in terms of ground clearance. Those Rhinos probably
do work fine for you but My car has only 4 to 6 inches of ground clearance. I need to get my car higher..

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I got the Rhino ramps from wall mart. work great.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Putting jack stands under the car when using ramps is a good idea..... I always do this since I don't need a flat head.... I also block the wheels when ever possible...

Some people do the dumbest things..... NEVER TAKE A CHANCE under a car... always be safe and not dead!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Teching In

Hey guys,, The question was and is , where can I get new steel ramps for my car?

I have always used ramps . It would be stupid not to use jack stands..My 3 grand children need their grandfather to stay around for a long time..
Old 05-23-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

OK - so I bought nice shinney yellow steel ramps at a local parts store; they came two in a box - about $29 plus tax. They also sell them at Martha's place - Sears/Kmart. Mine are really too narrow for the big tires on an SS F-Body so be careful and be sure to use the jack stands before you venture under the big boy.

I bought the parts store set in designer yellow since they are a bit taller and more fashonable than the fire engine red set sold at Sears/KMart.

Don't get your brain squished like a pancake - it is hazardous to everyday life events like thinking, tawking and twisting wrenches...

I used only a floor jack and jack stands for years. Afer I bought the steel ramps, I thought this was the best purchase I ever made..... they are real easy to work with - much better than only stands....
Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

There was a guy here a while back who had pictures of his home made ramps; he called them his "home lift". They were made from white pine two-by-fours from Home Depo... All four wheels were up on this pine excuse for a coffin.

Talk about dangerous deals!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

My car is lowered and the yellow metal ramps I have are too tall to fit under the front. I had to buy Rhino ramps, there a little shorter.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Default I have metal and plastic.

I have a set of Rhinos that work well with my Pontiac. Their honeycomb structure is good for resisting the compressive force generated on them by a car.

For my metal ramps, I made a four foot long pair of extensions for the incline part. I put two half inch bolts in the end of each extension and these fit into the holes on the incline part of the ramp. The extensions give inclines a greatly reduced slope so I can easily drive the Pontiac onto the ramps.

Incredibly, I have friends that still jack their cars up, slide hollow cinder blocks under the wheels then remove the jack. I always wonder which one will die first.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks all.. THink from the responses that I found something,,

Quick Reply: Car Ramps