Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Welder

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welder

Can anybody recommend a decent wire feed welder in the $300-$500 price range? I'm looking for something that will basically handle light automotive type work, such as weld in LCA relocation brackets, exhaust etc...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Lincoln Weldpak 3200 is around that price, and it is a decent welder. In welders you pretty much get what you pay for, but you will want to get the gas conversion with it because flux core wire sucks. If you are planning on spending a little more take a look at the Millermatic 135 it already comes ready for gas and IMHO it is a much better welder
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...llermatic_135/

Also take a look at Hobart welders, Hobart is Millers lower line of welders, they are very good for the price
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler125.html

The way I look at it: I always to try to buy a welder that is bigger than I think I will ever need, because you can always turn a big welder down to where you need it, but you cant turn a small welder higher than its max
Old 07-19-2005, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome! Thanks man. I think it will depend on what happens shortly here money wise. I agree with you, but IMO it's that way with tools/equipment in general. You get what you pay for. You won't find any cheap tools in my tool box. I always broke them, so it's Snap On or Craftsman for me. I really like the Miller. I've welded with both Miller and Hobart, both seemed pretty nice, but the Miller was definitely better.

Quick Reply: Welder