Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

A normal "how good are these" question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A normal "how good are these" question

I saw some SK tools for sale at Eppy's Tools and I am thinking that Snap-On makes them, but I am not sure, maybe I am just having a brain fart. They have a lifetime warranty, and are pretty high in price, MSRP wise. So, how good are they? Are they worth buying or should I stick to Craftsman and Snap-On? I currently use Craftsman Ratchets, Sockets and Wrenches along with Snap-On specialty tools but I am thinking of buying a lock-ring plier set, a hose clamp plier set, and some extra-long needle nose pliers oh yea and some wire strippers and crimping tools. They have a decent price but...what are your experiences?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

SK is not made by Snap-on, they are made in England.

Pretty good tools, better than Craftsman, not as good as Snap-on.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks so a decent buy huh?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bunch of SK and Snap-On. SK is good, but Snap-On is better. Just look at how much you are going to use the tool, is it a critical part you’re working on and how much you can afford. I would not buy SK screwdrivers, mostly because they are hard to hold on to and partly because they are made in france. Some of my sockets break fairly often. Snap on sockets are the best, but four times as much. I think you'll be fine. SK is way better then craftsman!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

In am just looking at getting pliers mainly. And a fuel line deal. I like the craftsman sockets because if I break one I have a Sear's 20 miles away. I broke a 3/8 ratchet 2-3 days ago and they replaced it with no questions asked.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

I have some newer SK stuff and I really like it. There plating seems to take some serious abuse too. My stuff still looks great.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Aight, I'm getting some. I wouldn't expect them to be "as good as" Snap-On, but if they are better than Craftsman, I'll buy them. Honestly though, I haven't had any troubles out of Craftsman. I can just get these cheaper than Craftsman.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_LS1
Aight, I'm getting some. I wouldn't expect them to be "as good as" Snap-On, but if they are better than Craftsman, I'll buy them. Honestly though, I haven't had any troubles out of Craftsman. I can just get these cheaper than Craftsman.

yeah you and me both. ive not had any probs with craftsman. i love em to death. (if you havent noticed by the avatar) haha
Old 07-23-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well like I said earlier, I have a Sear's 20 miles away. If something breaks, with like Snap-On, there store is 70 miles away and they don't keep the "specialty" stuff. They don't keep individual sockets/wrenches either I don't think. The only thing that has pissed me off about Sear's so far is that they give you a "refurbished" replacement rather than a new one. My felings are I bought the tools new, you have a lifetime warranty, I want new parts to replace the tools I bought new that didn't work or quit working. But catch them when they have got their pants down and you will get new ones.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was that the Brooklyn or Howell store? The Eppys crew are a great bunch of guys to deal with, I've been going to them for years, as well as dealing with StrapOn, Mac, and Matco.

SK tools are definately better than Craftsman. I think their ratchets are probably the nicest out there, especially for the cash. Fine tooth, smooth action, and surprisingly strong.

I've got a fair amount of SK tools and I havn't had to warranty any more of those than I have with other brands. In the business it's not uncommon to wear out popular sockets (10 and 13mm for example) from any brand. But they're lifetime so no big deal.

I'd definatly go with the SK stuff, for the hobbiest they are far better than Craftsman and the tooltruck brands are really impractical unless you're abusing them every day. One of the biggest advantages to the trucks is they come to you, that more than anything else is why so many professional techs deal with them over other companies.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went to the website, I live in the south. I have bought from them before but I'd love to go to the store, looks nice in the pics. I'd spend my 401-k there lol. Thanks for the advice guys. I have already ordered a few of them. Last question would be do they offer a fuel line fitting for our cars, I didn't see one on the site, and I have broke my little plastic one a few days ago. Link it up if you find it please, I will probably call them tomorrow or Monday about it.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What they have on their site is .001% of what they have or can get. They have huge catalogs from nearly every tool company on the planet.

When you say fuel line fitting, I'm assuming you mean the release tool? I guess you had the plastic Lisle set....

The disconnect tool you are looking for is KD Tools #3321

http://www.kd-tools.com/61059.htm for a pic on the MFR's page.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet that is it. I am waiting on a catalog now. Thanks, I'll be calling them in the near future to get one of these dudes. I had that plastic one and it worked for 6-7 months but this one should last a lifetime I hope.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:28 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like SK stuff. I have some of their 1/4 and 3/8 and 1/2 stuff, and I have used the 3/8" stuff a lot and they still work great.

I do agree that Craftsman < SK < Snap-On

Frankly as far as the "made in france" comments, I have no problem with Facom tools, who I believe bought SK. Some SK stuff is being "phased into" Facom stuff. You can kind of tell what's olde school SK and what is revamped Facom.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard of Facom before, how would they compare to Snap-On, SK and Craftsman, I would guess they are the same as SK but you said they were "phased" so that is why I ask.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

The screwdrivers are fine, the don't slip and break or anthing, but they are had to grip when you get oil or antifreeze in your hands. I prefer Snap-on screwdrivers. some of the wrenches and pliers are rebaged as Falcom. I don't think there is a big difference. Some might even be better with the grips on the pliers.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Teching In

SK is nolonger owned by Facom. SK management bought out the shares owned by Facom and SK is now 100% American owned. If you go to the SK website and look under press releases there is the announcement from May 2005.

Also, SK tools are made in Chicago and Mc Cook, Illinois and Defiance, Ohio.

http://www.skhandtool.com/pressroom....ftoken=6037883

The only problems I've had with Craftsman is that my Craftsman ratchet extensions have problems with the detent ball sticking so I can't get them into a socket. Other then that, Craftsman has been fine. For a tool hound on a budget, Craftsman is the best deal out there..especially if you watch the sales.

I have a SK 18' offset ratchet that gets an A+ for quality. No slop at all in the ratchet. Best of all, I won it in a drawing.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

My craftsman ratchet does the same thing. I have replaced mine numerous times but at least they replace it with no questions asked.

Also, thanks for the info on SK tools. I am waiting on mine to come in now. We'll see how they hold up in the long run. I just got a few for a "test" I guess you could say.

Quick Reply: A normal "how good are these" question