Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Portable Band Saw

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable Band Saw

I bought a portable band saw from Harbor Freight the other day.

WOW! This is the best deal I can remember ever getting on a power tool. It cost $59.99 (internet special), and is really worth every cent. I comes with a 14tpi blade, and I was a little skeptical about cutting thin 1/8" angle iron with it, but it went through it like butter.

I have a "Tiger Saw" (reciprocating saw like a Sazzall), and I though it did a good job, (well it beats a hacksaw) but its nothing like this portable band saw. With my Tiger Saw I have to change blades after a dozen or so cuts through 1½"X1½"X¼" angle and the 1½"X3"X¼ channel, I am using to build a trailer. I have tried using the expensive bi-metal blades that cost about $12.00 apiece and the other blades that are about 5 for $15.00. I tried using WD-40, PB Blaster, water soluble cutting oil, kerosene/diesel, and Tap-Magic to lube the blades and extend their life. NO JOY, they would still wear out the teeth where the heavest part of the cut was.

Today, I built a welding table using 2"X2"X¼" angle. Its 36" high, 60" wide and 36" deep with x-braces and a shelf under the table. Table top is treated 2"X4"s covered with 1/32d sheet steel. I did all the cutting except the sheet, with the portable band saw. Plus I did a bunch of extra cutting test cuttings on black iron pipe and even some old hard high carbon bed frame rails from an old double bed. When I quit this evening the blade was still sharp. It cuts at least five times as fast as the Tiger Saw will with a new blade.

If you need one of these or think you do I can't say enough good things about it. Its an internet special so you have to order from Harbor Freight on line site or print off the sale page and take it to your local HF store to get teh $59.99 price.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

I have a porta-band at work and I love it, at that price I can afford to have one at the house.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Teching In

I have a porta-band in my stash, love it, i recomend buying lenox blades, cost more, but last longer, Good buy!!