Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Husky Pro tools from Home Depot.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Husky Pro tools from Home Depot.

What are you all's opinions on these tools. I saw this really neat torque wrench at Home Depot but did not buy it because I am a little skeptic on the quility and their warranty.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have one of the normal kits, and it works fine. My dad was telling me that they used to take back 3-4 tools per week... and hes an electrician. He also said something about most home depots arent gonna be selling them pretty soon. Might wanna check into that. But mine work fine, and i used them to take out my whole LS1, and disassemble most of it.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

I went through three of the Husky 250 lb/ft TQ wrenches. The first one was off by 20 lbs, the second one was off by 11. This was right out of the package. So, I returned them and went to Sears and bought Cman TQ wrenches (I believe they're made by KD Tools, a Danaher subsidiary), made in the USA (not Taiwan, like the Husky).

Now, in all fairness, some have had the Cman TQ wrenches by out of calibration right out of the box, but all three of mine have been spot-on. And, if you are a member of the Cman club, they are always putting a TQ wrench on sale during Club Saver days.

Don't be fooled by the limited warranty on the Cman TQ wrenches, either.... they are not lifetime warranted. But then, no one (that I know of) offers a lifetime warranty on click-type TQ wrenches (even the mighty Snap On).

SK would be another cost-effective choice for TQ wrenches, BTW. I've heard only good things about them.

Bottom line is, treat these tools like the precision instruments that they are and you should never need a warranty.

-Ed
Old 11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

a guy in my shop also works at Home Depot and swears Husky is as good or better than Craftsman... I'm not real sure that I agree, though... at least in impact and precision tools; sockets and screwdrivers, sure. I think he's just biased... lol
Old 11-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

I personally like my Husky tools. I have a basic 3/8 socket set (short and long) and ratchet (round head), a set of srewdrivers, hammer, ball peins, allen wrenches, adjustable wrenches, stubby combination wrenches (sae/mm) and a 4 drawer top chest. I look at it this way, If it cost less but made well, it'll work for me. I do not use my tools hard or even long enough to warrant the purchase of anything in the high end.

Strictly speaking as a DIY'er and not a hardcore mechanic (handyman, etc) mostly any Sears, Homedepot, Lowes and even Walmart will do. I know that there is this big "anti-Asian" thing going on and there's nothing wrong with supporting the American economy. I just think the whole thing is ridiculous. How many of us right now are wearing sneakers from China (brand names), clothing from Honduras, Bengladesh, Jordan, Turkey. Audio and Video equiptment and game consoles from Malaysia, China, Tiawan, Mexico, Perplakistan (whatever ). Let's not even get started on bicycles, the average Joe could not even afford to have a bike completely made in the USA. Shimano is on everything.

Let's face it. there are high and low quality items that are made in any country. Even with Craftsman (which I really like and own a lot of stuff from), I've had to return a ratchet that wouldn't rotate properly. I've also exchanged a set of combination wrenches because the crome was peeling before I got it out of the rack.

Also, I know some folks are really comforted by the fantastic warranty that Sears has on their handtools, and that's great. Though, how many people out there own better tools (SK, Allen, Crescent, Cooper, Irwin) that need to be either sent to the company (as with Husky/Stanley) or brought to a truck that shows up weekly (Snap-on, Mac). Truth, it's what makes you happy. I've seen many professionals who have done work in my house using Husky, Stanley, Craftsman, Ryobi (I think I saw a DeWalt once). So, if it's good enough for a pro, than it's more than enough for me.

Sorry for the soft rant. Yeay Husky
Old 11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought one of their 350 piece sets. I put them to the test when I just recently did my L/T's. Couldn't be happier but I still prefer Craftsman
Old 11-20-2005, 05:21 PM

I bought a bunch of Home depot tools. They have the same gaurantee as craftsman.

Quick Reply: Husky Pro tools from Home Depot.