Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default harmonic balancer

i did a search and couldnt find the answer i am looking for but the way i understand it is a three jawed puller is made to use the center bolt hole on the ls1 crank pulley and the force backs it off if that is so how the hell do you get the center bolt out?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing the Crank Bolt

An air operated impact wrench works easiest.

A flywheel locking tool is available to lock the flywheel if you are using a long handled breaker bar on a car with Automatic trans.

Remove a spark plug and push about 3 feet of clothesline rope into the cylinder then rotate the engine until it stops. (Remember to leave 6" or so hanging out of the hole so you can remove the rope when you are done).

Stick cars can usually put the trans in high gear, chock the wheels, and set the parking brake to prevent the engine from turning.

Last edited by gto69judge; 12-07-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

engine is on a stand
so i guess impact would be the best way?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Launching!

A bolt and nut through a hole in the outer edge of the flywheel/flexplate that protrudes to hit the block should prevent the crank from rotating.

I have used visegrips on the flexplate many times.

The impact wrench is still the easiest and quickest way.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

dont have a fly wheel so i had to use an extension to lock the pully and a 7ft wrench thanks guys
Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I just put my damper on about an hour ago. I used a 130mm long bolt to start it and the old bolt and impact wrench to seat it to ~240 ft/lb. I still need to install the new bolt and torque it to 37 ft/lb then another 140 degrees.

Go here and read. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 12-08-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gto69judge
An air operated impact wrench works easiest.

A flywheel locking tool is available to lock the flywheel if you are using a long handled breaker bar on a car with Automatic trans.

Remove a spark plug and push about 3 feet of clothesline rope into the cylinder then rotate the engine until it stops. (Remember to leave 6" or so hanging out of the hole so you can remove the rope when you are done).

Stick cars can usually put the trans in high gear, chock the wheels, and set the parking brake to prevent the engine from turning.
Wouldn't this put a lot of strain on the piston/rod/crank beaarings? I thought about doing this, but was concerned about the stress on the other componets.

I impacted my pulley on and now need to torque the new bolt to 37 ft/lb + 140 degrees. Will the rope trick work without damage? Anyone do it this way?