Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

spot/tack welding aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spot/tack welding aluminum

I want to try and build my own aluminum crossmember, probably out of 1/8". 3/16" or 1/4" boxed aluminum tubing. I don't trust myself to weld something that critical, however cutting and fitting the pieces will take a lot of time. I want to tack weld the crossmember together and have a professional run the beads along the seams.

I have a stick welder that I have used before but that's it.... what can I use to tack these aluminum pieces together?

Thanks, -Dave
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yea... my dad has a Miller (I think) MIG welder that I have never used before but I would really like to avoid using that if possible.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No you cant stick weld aluminum. You need a Mig setup to run Aluminum. Or you can set you stick welder up to run as a Tig and tack it that way.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smoknta
No you cant stick weld aluminum. You need a Mig setup to run Aluminum. Or you can set you stick welder up to run as a Tig and tack it that way.
You would need a mig w/ an aluminum spool gun, or a Tig welder to weld alum.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Set my stick welder up as a TIG? How would I go about that?

I guess I will start asking around for an aluminum gun for my MIG, too...

Any other info?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Or you can buy stick aluminum electrodes

http://store.cyberweld.com/alel40.html
Never bought anything there just using it as an example. I get all my stuff local.

Use DCEP polarity and practice on a piece. And be sure to clean your aluminum workpiece thoroughly. <- can't stress that enough. And be ready to run a fast bead.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the Al rods burn fast. if you are quick you might be able to tack with them but dont I recommend it.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Do you need some sort of gas to stick weld with aluminum?
Old 01-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I think you will need an AC stick welder to weld AL. If I were a betting man I would bet that you have one of the Lincoln DC tombstone stick welders. You won't be able to do aluminum with that machine.

You will definately need 100% argon gas. I have migged smaller al running .030 wire thru a .035 tip with 100% argon. It worked for spot welds but looked rather ugly. I wouldn't trust it for a critical part.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jaymz
I think you will need an AC stick welder to weld AL. If I were a betting man I would bet that you have one of the Lincoln DC tombstone stick welders. You won't be able to do aluminum with that machine.

You will definately need 100% argon gas. I have migged smaller al running .030 wire thru a .035 tip with 100% argon. It worked for spot welds but looked rather ugly. I wouldn't trust it for a critical part.

like "hot rod" said, you can stick weld aluminum using dc+......i personally haven't done it, but from what i heard talking to folks who have, it burns super fast and globs up at the start, two characteristics that would not be good for tack welding......

do you have an oxy/acetylene torch? you can gas weld aluminum with flux and filler, or some folks have done it with an aluminum stick rod.....but this works best on pretty thin stuff....your best bet would be converting the mig for al, but it would be more expensive.....

Quick Reply: spot/tack welding aluminum