Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Epoxy for aluminum to cement

Old 01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Epoxy for aluminum to cement

Hi all -

Im trying to help my father as he's planning on reloacating his aerospace shop. He has a few large CNC machines that need to be anchored to the cement floor in ten or twelve places each. Because the floor has radiant heat tubes running through it, we cant just drill and sink in threaded rod. We'll likely have to fab up a bunch of plates and epoxy them down to the floor surface. Anyone have an suggestions for what epoxy we could use and where to get it?

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 01-25-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any possible way of locating the radiant heat tubes, such as finding studs in a wall? Perhaps they are laid in a precise grid and you can measure to ensure you miss them? Otherwise...It's very likely there is an extremely strong epoxy that will do the trick.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jyeager
Any possible way of locating the radiant heat tubes, such as finding studs in a wall? Perhaps they are laid in a precise grid and you can measure to ensure you miss them? Otherwise...It's very likely there is an extremely strong epoxy that will do the trick.
Its unlikely you could locate them sonicly since its a 10" slab. Also, no such luck on finding an accurate map or marking on that grid. We do have some pictures of the radiant heat grid that we might be able to match up via markings on the frostwall, but I think an epoxy on the surface would really be the right way to do things.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you new where the tubes were in relation to the concrete you should be fine with some shallow anchors. If you say the slab is 10'' thick I would think the tubes would have to be at lease 3-4 maybe more below the surface. Prior to the pour the are usually secured to the rebar or mesh, which is most likely in the center of the slab.

I would check with the maker of the heat system, they have requirements for the installation or they will not warranty the product.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im not sure 3 or 4 inches is enough to anchor. From what I understand the threaded rod is epoxied clear through the slab in the building he now occupies.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try looking for the 'NEW' titan style retro bolts. They are like giant lag bolts.
You drill the slab(roto hammer) then tighten these in. They have the strength of an all thread anchor, without the depth requirement.
Hawk
Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, ill look into them in the AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Teching In

If theres no pullout pressure the epoxy will work fine. Im guessing its ancord to keep the machine from moving and or vibrating horizontally with quick movements right. Actually the epoxy under a 6x6 or bigger plate will be very strong as long as the epoxy is kept thin.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jessmansweet
If theres no pullout pressure the epoxy will work fine. Im guessing its ancord to keep the machine from moving and or vibrating horizontally with quick movements right. Actually the epoxy under a 6x6 or bigger plate will be very strong as long as the epoxy is kept thin.
Yes, its anchored to damp vibrations mainly. The machine weighs far too much to move or rock around due to quick movements.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Launching!

http://www.thistothat.com/
Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radiant heat and heavy machining tools do not mix. I’ve seen a bridgport cause a concrete slab to sink 6” in a month, ripping the slab off of the concrete post footers that it was pored over. I can’t imagine that this would be better with the typical radiant shop floor unless it’s got a ton of rebar/steel mesh in it and then tied together well/over a good base, like you would if you were doing it properly for a lift or similar equipment.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is a ton of mesh and rebar tied to 6 foot frostwalls. The slab is 30 x 40, so I dont think its going anywhere, and vertainly not due to the radiant heat. There are many many shops that run radiant head without issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Epoxy for aluminum to cement