Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

air tank question?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air tank question?

I own a little 2 gallon compressor. Can I fill a 7 gallon
carry around air tank with this compressor?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why not, I always carried a 10 gallon tank when racing, just in case we needed a little air.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it and tell us what happens...
Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah you can, just will take awhile, let the compressor fill up and cool down a little, dont run it straight (if you do that long the motor can burn up, not from doing it for a few minutes, but for doing it for hours and not letting the tank fill up)...
Old 02-14-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Yeah you can, just will take awhile, let the compressor fill up and cool down a little, dont run it straight (if you do that long the motor can burn up, not from doing it for a few minutes, but for doing it for hours and not letting the tank fill up)...

I agree 100%... And if it is one of those 'oil less' type compressors you need to be especially careful about running it for too long!

The fitting on the end of my airline popped off one day as I was going to lunch and my Hitachi ran for @1 1/2 hrs non-stop... (I did not realize what had happened till I got back) The Hitachi had got so hot from running so long that it was damn near too hot to touch and you could smell the oil in the air... When I got home I changed out the oil and it definitely had a burnt smell to it. If this had been an 'oil-less' type compressor, it would have died for sure... FWIW, This happened @ 5yrs ago and I still use this same compressor daily with no noticeable problems. I think that using synthetic oil to begin with and having the ability to change it out as needed are what saved my compressor from certain death!

I also learned to unplug my compressor if I am not going to be around for a while. Just in case!

James

Search this Thread